Thanks

Sci-Fi Fantasy Desktops 2048x1152

Attachment 832944

Just bought myself a new Samsung 2342BWX, which natively displays 2048 x 1152 resolution, perfect for displaying two 1024 apps side by side, but impossible to find desktops for, so I thought I'd make some.

I have five finished now, and I'm working on two more.

(click to enlarge)

The Hive: Vagabond Capitol (Night Side)

Zenith: Ioman Capitol (Day Side)

Solar Station (Border)

Landfall: Fallen Capitol (Night Side)

Light House/Dragon Roost (Dayside)

Tree City: Elven Capitol (Border)

If you're running 7, try the desktop slide-show feature. The horizon lines are all identical, so they fade nicely.

I'm hoping my work is good enough for this section. If not, my feelings wont be hurt if it needs to be moved.
    Last edited by Fuzzy Modem; February 3rd, 2010 at 01:34 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    5th is finished. OP updated.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Hi Fuzzy, nice work. What programs are you working with for these?

Overall, I like the interesting shapes of structures and lights. I like landfall, zenith, and solar station's analogous color schemes too.

My first critique would probably be that the structures are not integrated into the landscape well enough. Especially in The Hive, it is very hard to discern just where the structure is resting--on or behind the mountain. Might I suggest cropping in on this one because the structure is really cool with the hanging silhouetted shapes but its too small to appreciate.

In zenith I can see where the building is resting, but the surface is covered in something ambiguous--is it grass, trees...? Try to combine the two elements of the structure and the land.

In solar station, I again had a very hard time discerning what was going on where the structure and the mountain meet.

I would take the lighthouse back to thumbnail stage and try to make the shapes as interesting as your other pieces. The surface is confusing again--water or sand...? I see a ship, but the towers seem to be resting on the surface in a very simplified way.

Cool stuff--keep it up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Artfix View Post
    Hi Fuzzy, nice work. What programs are you working with for these?
    Maya and Photoshop.

My first critique would probably be that the structures are not integrated into the landscape well enough. Especially in The Hive, it is very hard to discern just where the structure is resting--on or behind the mountain. Might I suggest cropping in on this one because the structure is really cool with the hanging silhouetted shapes but its too small to appreciate.
    It's supposed to be in a crater. I hate that bump map. I'll try to figure out a fix in Photoshop. I think a major problem is that it doesn't look like it completely encircles the city, as in the wall of the crater looks broken, and it might be, I'll have to check the mesh. I may be able to fix it with a photo blend though.

I can't crop, both because the horizon lines wouldn't match for Windows 7 desktop fade transitions, and also because the little buildings look like crap up close, especially along the edges as it's clear they are a transparency "cutout" cardboard stand up style, applied to a cylinder.

In zenith I can see where the building is resting, but the surface is covered in something ambiguous--is it grass, trees...? Try to combine the two elements of the structure and the land.
    It's grass, trees, little wooden buildings and tall stone buildings. All a bit undefined I agree.

In solar station, I again had a very hard time discerning what was going on where the structure and the mountain meet.
    I agree. That's 90% real mountain, 10% cg mountain. It needs... work.

I would take the lighthouse back to thumbnail stage and try to make the shapes as interesting as your other pieces. The surface is confusing again--water or sand...? I see a ship, but the towers seem to be resting on the surface in a very simplified way.
    It's supposed to look like it was built on solid land, flooded, deserted for an age, and then rebuilt by a different civilization with different materials.

I think waves smacking and frothing against the stone where it meets the water would help a lot.

Perhaps some land mass in the distance too. I could blend an ocean image with that water plane too, as I don't seem to have sold that wave texture.
    Last edited by Fuzzy Modem; January 30th, 2010 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks
    Very good pieces here, I like the concepts on the cities. can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    I know what those towers need! A reflection!

Thanks
    Update: Last one, Final Draft. OP updated.

Now I'm going to go back and overpaint all of these. I still need to add reflections and a bit of transparency to the water in the lighthouse scene too...