How much do I get paid for comics?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How much do I get paid for comics?

I may get some work finally. This guy is like an agent & the job is to draw some pages for a comic book. It is kinda negotiable. I don't know yet which company is it but surely its not marvel or DC! It is some online comic thing. I want to be prepared for negotiation so roughly how much money do I ask per page from a pretty average comics company?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is this guy like an agent or is he actually an agent? Who is he an agent for? If he is your agent then the point of having him is that he is supposed to be working this stuff out for you. Is he on commission?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're going to have to give them a lot more information. What size pages? Colour or b/w or grayscale? How long is it going to take you to draw them? etc etc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And beware that this is not one of the scams that have been popping up all over lately, where someone acting as an agent contacts you, asks for a few pages upfront and is never heard from again...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are webcomics. And I am sure that the party is genuine. I don't know yet if I have to do only inking or coloring. How much $ do I charge per page? if its only inking & how much for coloring as well as inking? I need to know this urgently, thanks. Its going to be b/w or color, not grayscale. Page size is A4. How long, that I don't know.

Last edited by stroggified; November 22nd, 2009 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you don't know what you're going to be doing how can you give a price? Tell your agent you need a brief of the work otherwise how can be expected to provide any sort of sensible response? Come to think of it is this guy actually an agent? If he is, sack him; if he isn't then I've no idea what you're talking about. Whatever the situation, get a specification for what you're being asked to do. Inking? Colouring? B/W? Colour? Number of pages? What publication? And how long do you reckon for each page, after all that? (basically what's already been asked)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, I am in the process of getting to know what exactly I have to do. Thank you everyone for being patient & replying in spite of all the vague information given by me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    marvel pays pincilers $75 a page and they keep the originals. I'm not sure what the commission is, but they can move some paper.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    marvel pays pincilers $75 a page and they keep the originals. I'm not sure what the commission is, but they can move some paper.
    Marvel and DC have returned originals since at least the 1980's. These days, with digital submissions, I doubt very much original art even goes through the editorial offices.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    marvel pays pincilers $75 a page...
    That doesn't sound right... ? I would have expected $250-300 at least.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Marvel and DC have returned originals since at least the 1980's. These days, with digital submissions, I doubt very much original art even goes through the editorial offices.
    A teacher told me, the letterer's get dibs on pencils as a partial source of compensation and then they pass it up the food chain. He also said the people at Marvel believe nobody knows how to scan anything properly. But he hasn't worked for marvel for a while though.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A teacher told me, the letterer's get dibs on pencils as a partial source of compensation and then they pass it up the food chain. He also said the people at Marvel believe nobody knows how to scan anything properly. But he hasn't worked for marvel for a while though.
    I think Howard Chaykin may have given Ken Bruzenak some of the American Flagg pages he lettered, but that's the only instance I know of. And Bruzenak's contribution was much more than the average comic book letterer of the time.

All mainstream comics are digitally lettered now.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.