Need help drawing and shading..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need help drawing and shading..

I recently got a walcom tablet and have been drawing since..( actually i got it 2 days ago lol) anyway I've come to realize that i can't draw anything :/ and I CANNOT shade at all. I've gone through many tutorials in the tutorial section of this site and i've also looked at tutorial videos on youtube..but it doesn't really hlep :/

anyway..here are the drawings done with tablet

http://i34.tinypic.com/23uzq83.jpg
    http://i50.tinypic.com/t5rmvc.jpg
    http://i48.tinypic.com/s4op07.jpg

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What you need to do is put down the tablet and get out some pencils and paper. Tools don't make the artist. Solidify your drawing skills, then take on the tablet.

I'd recommend starting with anatomy. Snag this .pdf of Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis. Go from there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FourTonMantis View Post
    What you need to do is put down the tablet and get out some pencils and paper. Tools don't make the artist. Solidify your drawing skills, then take on the tablet.

I'd recommend starting with anatomy. Snag this .pdf of Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis. Go from there.
    I used to draw on paper ..and i was pretty good at it too but it was a couple years ago :/

anyway..so it is a bad idea for a beginner to learn through using the tablet??

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by user681 View Post
    I used to draw on paper ..and i was pretty good at it too but it was a couple years ago :/

anyway..so it is a bad idea for a beginner to learn through using the tablet??
    Not necessarily but solidifying your traditional drawing skills will only help your digital work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the common wisdom is to start with traditional media. At the very least, you have fewer things to distract you from learning the fundamentals.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjerk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the problem that i saw is your attitude that comes out of lacking motivations, first before you can draw anything you should have a inspiration and focus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FourTonMantis View Post
    Not necessarily but solidifying your traditional drawing skills will only help your digital work.
    Well the truth is I find drawing well sketching with the tablet sometimes easier than using real pen and paper because it's easier to modifiy my drawing without having to use the eraser every 5 seconds or so ..but when it comes to stuff like drawing straight lines,spheres and shading I do it much better with pencil :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Like you said yourself, you've only had a tablet for two days, keep practicing and that's all there is.

Drawing with pencil will still hone your drawing skills, the ones that matter, the other stuff is just getting used to the program/interface.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Part of the problem is you're only drawing outlines. Fill in those objects. See if that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    Part of the problem is you're only drawing outlines. Fill in those objects. See if that helps.
    I've tried to add shading to it to make it more real but I just can't shade properly :/ it actually looks better without shading

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is it that you want from this thread? A recipe? Universal, step-by-step instructions on how to render form?

Sorry, but none of that exists. If your "shading" sucks, draw more. And more, and more, and more, until it stops sucking. Go get a dozen apples, set them down and draw them. Draw a hundred apples, then draw whatever it is you've got lying around your house. It doesn't matter what you draw, and it doesn't matter how bad the results keep turning out, just draw! It's the only way! And go grab the Loomis books (they're free) and anything else you can find and spend a few months studying and practicing. It isn't something you're going to get overnight via an internet forum, nor without putting in the work, period, end of story.

Oh, (and I say this as unironically as humanly possible) -- don't forget to have fun!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lamp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamp View Post
    What is it that you want from this thread? A recipe? Universal, step-by-step instructions on how to render form?

Sorry, but none of that exists. If your "shading" sucks, draw more. And more, and more, and more, until it stops sucking. Go get a dozen apples, set them down and draw them. Draw a hundred apples, then draw whatever it is you've got lying around your house. It doesn't matter what you draw, and it doesn't matter how bad the results keep turning out, just draw! It's the only way! And go grab the Loomis books (they're free) and anything else you can find and spend a few months studying and practicing. It isn't something you're going to get overnight via an internet forum, nor without putting in the work, period, end of story.

Oh, (and I say this as unironically as humanly possible) -- don't forget to have fun!
    would you suggest starting with pencil and paper as well??
    I honestly find it easier to do a rough sketch with tablet but everything else..is harder with the tablet

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,377 Times in 3,598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You do both, but unless you have the fundamentals down pat traditionally, you'll only be playing at it. Sure you can go back and correct digitally, but how about learning not to make the mistakes in the first place?

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Two whole days and you haven't mastered line and shade YET?
    Slacker!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Two whole days and you haven't mastered line and shade YET?
    Slacker!
    lol I have school! I can't draw 24/7 unfortunately

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard of you people who haven't touched a pencil in years.
    Get a pencil and some paper and start scribbling anything. It doesn't matter if it sucks, that's only natural when starting out. Read those books that have been reccomended. Don't worry about tones and everything like that. Concentrate at the moment on more fundemental things. Just have fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am in no way shape or form trying to be a dbag. You're drawings are quite lacking. I dont have much to brag about but i will tell you this, you're going to have a hard time learning to draw on that tablet. My reasoning for this is where you stand currently with your drawing skills. I dont know your photoshop background or whatever program you're using, but i do know that you need a lot of work with human figure and learning the human figure along with photoshops junk will take you twice as long.

Start with traditional media. Work on human anatomy and really absorb what you're drawing. That tablet is just going to distract you.

Dont get me wrong, its a great investment if you're that into art, but using it to learn with greatly hinders the rate at which you progress.

When learning to shade and work with values use simple objects like apples (as stated above).

A mistake i see people make a lot is expecting artistic skill to come from reading text or watching someone else do it. Doesnt happen bro. Work on human figure with a pencil and paper.

School is no excuse either lol. I learned ALL my drawing in school, not in art class either. I would draw every chance i would get in any class.

There is also no inspiration required to start drawing. All you need is motivation. Get working on that figure, then start shading, then painting, then digital. Besides.. who looks better when going for a job.. oh yea i paint, traditional and digital, i can do work in pencil, and i can sculpt.. compared to.. no i just do digital..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmit16 View Post
    I am in no way shape or form trying to be a dbag. You're drawings are quite lacking. I dont have much to brag about but i will tell you this, you're going to have a hard time learning to draw on that tablet. My reasoning for this is where you stand currently with your drawing skills. I dont know your photoshop background or whatever program you're using, but i do know that you need a lot of work with human figure and learning the human figure along with photoshops junk will take you twice as long.

Start with traditional media. Work on human anatomy and really absorb what you're drawing. That tablet is just going to distract you.

Dont get me wrong, its a great investment if you're that into art, but using it to learn with greatly hinders the rate at which you progress.

When learning to shade and work with values use simple objects like apples (as stated above).

A mistake i see people make a lot is expecting artistic skill to come from reading text or watching someone else do it. Doesnt happen bro. Work on human figure with a pencil and paper.

School is no excuse either lol. I learned ALL my drawing in school, not in art class either. I would draw every chance i would get in any class.

There is also no inspiration required to start drawing. All you need is motivation. Get working on that figure, then start shading, then painting, then digital. Besides.. who looks better when going for a job.. oh yea i paint, traditional and digital, i can do work in pencil, and i can sculpt.. compared to.. no i just do digital..
    I know my drawings are lacking, did I ever say I was good? I mean I only posted the pics hoping that someone might point me in the right direction
    and FYI I'm really good with photoshop. I got a tablet initially to help me with my photo manipulations not for drawing..I myself is a photographer so I know what looks good and what doesn't . and Like i've said numerous times. I'm ONLY here to ask for advices not for some kind of GODLY guide that'll turn me into a godly artist within days or weeks so
    I'm new to this drawing it's been a long time since I drew. I've only started it again recently and your right school is no excuse but drawing wasn't my main thing not untill now anyway

also heres some of my traditional works that i did a long time ago
    http://imgkk.com/i/H54kX1.jpg
    http://imgkk.com/i/3nES5g.jpg
    http://imgkk.com/i/ODq-Qo.jpg
    http://imgkk.com/i/9sJCdf.jpg
    http://imgkk.com/i/H54kX1.jpg

@kamber: I'm not here to show off or demonstrate any of my works. I'm soley posting here to get some advices regarding drawing with tablets..
    . so yeah

Last edited by user681; November 19th, 2009 at 03:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What you need to do is put down the tablet and study with pencil now!!! for .The next two year's everyday non stop do 1 Hour or 2 hour's of drawing and plan a schedule and then once your done with that then pick the tablet up again and practice both.

Because right now you have LOT'S of work ahead of you because i myself have not drawn in 3 year's or so seriously but. Now even with school, i make time to draw because i found out there is ALL WAYS TIME!!! and no more procrastinating like watching TV and stuff that waste time and draw instead..If you need more motivation check out the CRIMSON DAGGER'S!! thread it's full of artist trying to get better everyday.There is 3 live stream with Dave Rapoza,Domo,Colly..full of info from anatomy and painting from life and many other thing's you practice with all kind's of artist.But you have to be ready to work nonstop and stop Bull shitting around because if you really want to be an artist you have to work hard and do it for yourself..

LITTLE MORE MOTIVATION

Last edited by Dibujio:Guru; November 19th, 2009 at 04:06 AM.

....Coming Soon Reconstruction.....

Enydimon is offline Drunken Bridgman lead me to victory! Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, look, here's the thing... your traditional skills are still lacking. I don't know what your digital shading looks like, but your line quality isn't much different.

There is no real advice people can give you to get better with a tablet if you are not going to continue to learn through a pencil. Just about every single thing you learn in traditional art you can apply to digital art. Right now you aren't showing much of an understanding of the basics, you need to go back to that and learn that, otherwise all the tutorials in the world wont help you. You need to keep studying.

Sketching with a tablet is easier for you? Well, honestly, it doesn't matter if it is easier. You're still at a beginning stage, things will be hard. You need to practise them to get better, I'm sure you know this. Right now you can't afford to say, "this is easier so I'll do that." unless you're tackling something way beyond your skills. Staying in your comfort zone is a bad thing to do. While learning on a tablet isn't too bad, the answer will always be to go back to basics. If you're having a hard time doing something, then you probably don't understand how it works or how to apply it. That doesn't mean digital tutorials, you're getting ahead of yourself.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enydimon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Check out these threads

Digital painting in PS
    Digital Painting In PS #2

Also Loomis books:
    http://fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1

Usually in Photoshop you take a typical round brush, set opacity or flow to be controlled with pen pressure (in brush settings>other dynamics). Then you start painting from general to specific. First big sized strokes and when you got everything filled, you go to smaller planes of the form with smaller brush. This is more like a painting than pencil rendering so you could try doing some studies with traditional painting media.
    With Photoshop like with any other tool you can render in many different ways. There's no single method. You need to find what works for you.

I've gone through many tutorials in the tutorial section of this site and i've also looked at tutorial videos on youtube..but it doesn't really hlep :/
    That's probably because you haven't learned how to shade in general. Whether it's pencil, charcoal, gouache, it doesn't matter. If you read some books on the subject (like Loomis posted above) and practice for a while, it will be easier to do that in Photoshop or any other digital painting program.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Farvus View Post
    Check out these threads

Digital painting in PS
    Digital Painting In PS #2

Also Loomis books:
    http://fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1

Usually in Photoshop you take a typical round brush, set opacity or flow to be controlled with pen pressure (in brush settings>other dynamics). Then you start painting from general to specific. First big sized strokes and when you got everything filled, you go to smaller planes of the form with smaller brush. This is more like a painting than pencil rendering so you could try doing some studies with traditional painting media.
    With Photoshop like with any other tool you can render in many different ways. There's no single method. You need to find what works for you.

That's probably because you haven't learned how to shade in general. Whether it's pencil, charcoal, gouache, it doesn't matter. If you read some books on the subject (like Loomis posted above) and practice for a while, it will be easier to do that in Photoshop or any other digital painting program.
    Thank you for the links! i'll be sure to check them out
    so basically, I need to drop the tablet and start learning from the basics?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    User...Here's what I'm doing. I have a tablet, as well. And, in order to get used to using it... I replaced my mouse with it. It will get you used to using it regularly. It's not the same as mouse, so it doesn't act like one, normally. It's much more sensitive. So, when you draw a straight line...it'd better be straight, or it's going to show, period.

Now, I'm not using it to draw anything on the computer, at this point. I'm more than comfy using a paper, pencil, and a scanner. You can scan in your stuff and post it someplace for all to take a look at. I have yet to start a skecthbook here, because that would require I post my stuff someplace other than school....of which I would need a lot time. LOL But, I do know that posting a sketchbook up here is a lot of fun, and very worthwhile...I know...I really should take the time...Maybe someday soon.

Either way, good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just play with your tablet on the side. Do studies and drawing from imagination with analog media.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might not want to do traditional studies because maybe it isn't the advice you want to hear, and yes it will be a long road of hard work, but it is very necessary. You should try doing a still life every day with one light source, draw master studies, sketch from life, draw ideas from your imagination, and try doing some cast drawings. Learn to observe the angles of the contour and measure proportions, and take your time to ensure accuracy. Now is the point where you want to spend as long as necessary to train your eye and learn to see and render properly. Also check out Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life and Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing. Spend a few hours a day drawing if you can, or as long as you can. Work hard at that for a couple years and you will be amazed by how much you improve. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea man, no need to get defensive, i wasnt attacking you. My advice was to learn to draw first then work with the tablet. So you have a photoshop background. Thats good. Still pretty difficult to get blending down, not as easy as a filter.

So relax. My post simply stated that its best to start with traditional media then move to the tablet. Drawing with a tablet is a different feel than with a pencil.

You cant go race, race-cars if you dont know how to drive yet...

I mean you want advice but it seems like you're waiting for people to say "NO no no, go ahead and learn with the tablet, no one here is right in saying to need to start with pencil and paper first!"

This isnt going to happen. Everyone here has said start with pencil and paper. So go go go!

Last edited by Zimmit16; November 19th, 2009 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A friend of mine is an art instructor at BYU Idaho and he has come up with a very cool measuring technique that helps you get accurate proportions in your drawing. You can take a look at www.accurasee.com. He uses the technique in all his work and he is a pretty awesome artist. There are short videos on the website where you can see how he uses it. Hope you take a look and good luck!

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The one thing that has not been said for you to do with either a pencil/paper or a tablet to seek improvement.

THINK about what you are doing.

Part of thinking is referencing what you want to achieve. Become a critical thinker of what you do and what you want to achieve. Visualize what you want to create.

"Draw, draw, draw," is the advise mostly given here, but to do it without intent or thinking will just be more frustrating because you don't know what you're supposed to see, and what you're supposed to learn. Inspiration and creativity are fine catalysis and most around will tout about its utter importance, but without understanding and knowledge, neither will result in anything worthwhile.

When practicing and learning anything, having the correct instructions to lead you to the proper conclusion will help you greatly.

All things start and come from basics.

**Plus. If you learn about composition and how to apply it proper, even your worst illustrator will have the potential to gain in skill much faster. Composition in just as important as all other aspects of illustration.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey User... welcome to the world of pen/tablets.
    Pen/Tablets take a bit of time to master, and even after using them for some time, you may never match your actual pen/pencil skills.
    The only way you will get this "feeling" close is with a Cintiq or a PC Tablet... even then you will need to re-learn your pressure mechanics with those advanced tools.

I'd say, keep with drawing on paper for now and scan your stuff into the comp. Some pen/Tablet users adopt more of a short-stroke with their tablets, or end up redrawing longer strokes over and over again... the eye/screen with the off-set hand motion can be a rough go at first. Try to ignore your hand's location... Eye to screen... practice, practice, practice.

Carrara 7 Pro, Anime Studio Pro 5.6, Hexagon 2.5, Zbrush 3.5, Project Dogwaffle Pro4, Manga Studio, trueSpace 7.6, Corel Draw X3 and WACOM Cintiq12WX user.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.