Queen of hearts

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Queen of hearts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Queen of hearts

Hi guys...

Just started my concept on creating a sci-fi version of alice in wonderland...

This is my queen of hearts

Queen of hearts

She's an evil character ... just needed some suggestions to make it better

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by toxicmonkey; November 17th, 2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: no attachment
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's extremely symmetrical, for a start. She's smack in the middle of the page, the arms are doing the same thing, the legs are the same, the wires are the same. There's no foreshortening or overlap to speak of. In short, it's static and anything but dynamic, which robs the image of any interest it might have generated in a viewer. When someone looks at a piece, they tend to want to see something happening. To be told a story, to have a character come alive. So you have to choose a composition that does that. Put the character to one side. Turn them profile or, better yet, 3/4. Put their arms and legs in different positions, arch the back, that sort of thing.

Okay, so much for the general. For this particular image, there are some issues. Although first I'll give you major props for putting her feet solidly on the ground. You have no idea how many people miss that, especially when starting out. However, you've still got anatomy issues, the most glaring of which is she doesn't seem to have bones. She's got cheekbones, but below that it's all missing. No clavicle, no ribcage, no elbows or knees, even though indications of all those should be visible. Adding structure of that sort would make the body look much more convincing, and it's well worth studying.

A few bits of advice here. First of all, study anatomy. That's a given if you're planning to draw human or human-like figures. Second, get used to thinking in three dimensions. Draw balls with cross hairs around them. Draw cubes. Draw cylinders and cones, and make them convincing with your linework. That's an important skill that'll help you out a lot when applying structure to your figures. And, of course, learn structure. Look around online for Loomis' books, he speaks a lot of structure and he's got some very good methods of achieving it.

Draw through. When making a line that goes behind something, lightly draw it in as if the object was transparent. For instance, you've got lines on her right hand that suddenly stop before getting to the forearm cuff, then start again above it. The lines on the backs of her boots don't match up with each other and do a similar disappearing act. What you want to do with things like boot tops or collars is to draw them in one smooth line without picking up your pencil (or stylus). Then you know where the line goes.

And finally, you should look into the basics of fabric. The folds you've got here don't really make that much sense. There's a science to how fabric falls, based mostly on where it's hanging from, and you'd do well to do a little research on it.

You've got a good start here. You just need to start working on developing the skills you need to make it great.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey... thanks for pointing out the errors... I will try to make another one with hopefully more dynamism and better anatomy... I myself felt there was something really off with her physical structure.

I intend to make her like a robot attached to something.... but... well i ll try to change it and put it up here

Thanks a million for the pointers

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.