Art: Graveyard Scene

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Graveyard Scene

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Graveyard Scene

Hey everyone. Been a while since I posted, so here's a creepy graveyard that I've been working on just for fun. First, is the set-up in Sketchup where I composed and lit the shot and added a little fog. The second is the finished piece in Photoshop. I'm not a hundred percent pleased with it, but since it's my first serious attempt at a paint over, I think it came out pretty much how I envisioned it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you need to add more fog in deep background. In over paint, it ends so suddenly, while in SketchUp it smoothly disappears into mist. You also need a value variety - I mean, put some fog in areas that shouldn't attract viewer at first time and leave bright area for focusing purpose (maybe a guy at gate?)

But overall, it's a nice work, quite creepy. Especially considering it's your first. I'm sure you will get better with next works Maybe some rendering would help? Oh, and these stone cracks are truly brilliant. How you did that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

stone cracks

Thanks, Tonic. You're right about the fog. One mistake I made was to bump up the contrast a little too much in PS. That knocked out the subtle depth of field that the fog setting in SU gave it. About the cracks. After I had push/pulled a simple tombstone, it was just a matter of attacking it with the line tool. Drawing long narrow triangles that met on adjoining faces, then erasing the connecting line. Then, connect the apex of each triangle with a line, and a facet (or crack) appears. It actually wasn't as time consuming as it sounds. Below, is a close-up of a tombstone corner. The red lines show where I erased after making the triangles. Even the more complex cracks are done just by repeating these steps. I hope this, at least, made some sense.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a pretty easy trick! Thanks for sharing.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.