Looking for a GOOD scanner, particularly for watercolor!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Looking for a GOOD scanner, particularly for watercolor!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Looking for a GOOD scanner, particularly for watercolor!

After hours of fruitless searching online for good scanner recommendations that weren't from the "oh this was PERFECT for the 2,000 baby photos I wanted to scan!" community, I thought I might have more luck here among artists.

I work primarily in watercolor, and my cheap little CanoScan LiDE 25 just isn't cutting it anymore. It tends to have trouble capturing depth of color (it loves washing out my subtle shades) and it just has trouble with color in general. I've thoroughly gone through the scanning software, adjusted everything under the sun, and I've come to the conclusion that the scanner simply isn't capable of the quality I want. Not even Photoshop can fix these scans.

I would like to know what kind of scanners you all use....bonus if you scan watercolors and can explain the pros/cons of your particular scanner in that regard! Right now I'm looking at either an Epson Perfection V30 or the V300. So far it looks like the main difference is the V300 can scan transparencies and the V30 can't, which isn't a big deal since I have no need to scan transparencies.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Windfalcon For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Windfalcon - I would go with the Epson V30. I've had two Epson scanners and they're about as good as you can find really. I'm in th emarket for a new one however since mine has developed a dead spot which results in a thin line artifact in the scans. But that's after maybe ten years medium use?
    Good luck!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm looking for a good drawing-scanner too! Good luck, man+!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also work in watercolors and my current scanner has done a pretty awesome job of capturing them. It's an Epson Perfection V200. It cost me about $100 and it's very very good at capturing color. On occasion it scans a little lighter or darker, but it's nothing that Photoshop can't fix with some small adjustments. I definitely recommend anything that's in that same model range.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it."

Got Art? My Website

My deviantART Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JeffX99: I had that happen with my first scanner (from 2001). To be honest it was a great scanner, but as all old things do, it eventually wore out. Thanks for the suggestion! I ended up ordering the V30 for $72 (and free shipping!) so I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Wintertime and Viridis: Thanks! I took a look at the V200 and it looked like it was discontinued, and the 'newer' model was the V300. Aside from the ability to scan transparencies, both models seem pretty much identical, so I went with the V30.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just bought a Epson Perfection V30 after reading everybody's recommendation. Thanks. I got it for $74. Windfalcon has a nice gallery of watercolor paintings too.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pigeonkill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw, thanks Pigeonkill! And I'm glad this thread served to help another artist find a good scanner!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm reading this thread cos' I'm thinking of buying a new scanner this Dec, but I notice scanners have different sort of "light". Some of the cheaper scanners uses "White Light" and the better ones uses "CCFL". Any geek here knows what are these, and what's the difference?

Thanks!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all,

For those of you who draw mostly using A3-size paper, how do you scan it? The flatbed models from Epson, HP and Canon are the usual A4-scanners.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are considering a V30, or any other Epson scanner...I would advise going to their website. I just picked up a V30 for $59.99 plus $9.95 shipping. Right now they are running a sale on various models. You can get an instant rebate of $20. So, the "regular" price is $79.99, a good price. It was made better by the $20 rebate.

Just thought you all would want to know.

Thanks for the suggestions, etc. My Lexmark All-in-one has been being a bit of pain of late, i.e. it's trying to figure out how to die gracefully, while still allowing me to finish my drawing class. Hence...it takes awhile to get anything to scan right. So, that sale solved a lot of issues for me. Hopefully, I'll have it in a few days, and my all-in-one can drop dead. LOL

14. The Following User Says Thank You to darkwolf29a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xeon_OND - Most scanners are going to be A4 size (I think the exact dimensions of mine are 8.5 X 11.7 inches), unless you want to shell out a big chunk of change for an 11X17 - I know Microtek makes a good full size scanner, but it's going to be expensive.

The solution I have is I simply scan in parts and then use the Photomerge tool in Photoshop (File > Automate > Photomerge). Be sure to trim off any 'white' areas that aren't part of your canvas, otherwise Photomerge can get confused.

Also (and this covers your question about the 'different light' scanners), certain types of scanners do not handle 3D objects very well. By this I mean if the paper is off the glass by even a tiiiiiny bit, it will scan blurry. My old CanoScan LiDE 25 had this problem, and it was powered by the USB port. The 'light' isn't white, but rather three RGB LED lights that work in tandem to capture detail and color. This becomes a problem when trying to scan anything that is larger than the scanner glass, since anything pushed up by the lip of the scanner is going to be blurry.

darkwolf29a Ah! Unfortunately I already bought my scanner (for $72 with free shipping) from Amazon.com. I definitely would have bought it from Epson directly had I known. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up, though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If anyone is still searching, even without the discounts....this is a great scanner. I did some test scans last night and this works great with a Mac. Honestly, I think it scans too well. It, actually, picked up a ghost image from the drawing on the opposite side of the paper. Kind of funny once I figured it out.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to darkwolf29a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scanning watercolor paintings can be notoriously difficult. Areas left white or with light washes will appear blown out and can alter the surrounding colors. Because most watercolor pigments are transparent and because watercolor paper is designed to reflect light back through the paint, it can be very difficult for scanners to pick up the subtleties of light washes. Adding more paint layers and using opaque colors will help reduce this, otherwise you will have to adjust each problem area in photoshop.

Try experimenting with your painting technique and pay attention to what pigments you are using. It will make a huge difference when reproducing your work.

For more technical information about watercolor paints, check out handprint: watercolor & watercolor painting. It's an excellent resource.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfalcon View Post
    Xeon_OND - Most scanners are going to be A4 size (I think the exact dimensions of mine are 8.5 X 11.7 inches), unless you want to shell out a big chunk of change for an 11X17 - I know Microtek makes a good full size scanner, but it's going to be expensive.
    Thanks Wind, but I found this Mustek A3 USB scanner which sells for around US$199+-.

Cool?! I'm gonna get it next month and let you guys know the results.

Regarding those "different lights", it doesn't really matter. I mean, who in the heck would use a scanner to scan 3D objects? U can use a digital camera for that!
    Scanners, at least for me, are for scanning paper and nothing else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Thanks Wind, but I found this Mustek A3 USB scanner which sells for around US$199+-.

Cool?! I'm gonna get it next month and let you guys know the results.
    Wow, that's like... AMAZINGLY cheap. I'd really like to get one, but to be honest I don't have much space right now and I have no idea where I'd put it. But I'd loooooooooovvve to be able to scan full comic pages without having piece them together in PS. Just hope it works on Windows 7.

Great find, keep us updated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I was also looking for a good scanner for drawings and watercolour.
    I eventually went with the Epson V30. It scans sharp and the colours are almost spot on, I only have one problem with it, it scans the paper grain a lot harder then what it looks like in reality. So I was a bit disapointed, if you don't like paper grain either, I would go with another one.
    Is there anybody who has a scanner that doesn't do this?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Faranth View Post
    Wow, that's like... AMAZINGLY cheap. I'd really like to get one, but to be honest I don't have much space right now and I have no idea where I'd put it. But I'd loooooooooovvve to be able to scan full comic pages without having piece them together in PS. Just hope it works on Windows 7.

Great find, keep us updated.
    You can get them for less than that: http://www.amazon.com/Mustek-ScanExp...1965620&sr=1-2

Also the A4 Canon's go for as low as $50 on Amazon (free shipping).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the blown-out highlights issue with my Epson V100. Anyone have any hints about settings for scanners, to hit as close to the actual colors possible?

“The moment you think you understand a great work of art, it's dead for you.”~Oscar Wilde
    My Inglorious Portfolio!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ellenvanengelen View Post
    Hey, I was also looking for a good scanner for drawings and watercolour.
    I eventually went with the Epson V30. It scans sharp and the colours are almost spot on, I only have one problem with it, it scans the paper grain a lot harder then what it looks like in reality. So I was a bit disapointed, if you don't like paper grain either, I would go with another one.
    Is there anybody who has a scanner that doesn't do this?
    There's actually a very easy fix for that. When in "professional mode" in the Epson V30 control panel, in the 'adjustments' section, you'll see a dropdown menu for Unsharp Mask. If you don't see a drop-down menu, click the + beside Unsharp Mask and it will expand. The default setting is 'medium,' which will pick up a good amount of paper grain. Change the setting to 'low,' and it should pick up less grain. The drawback is it will also not pick up detail as sharply, but that's the nature of scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by quickreaver
    I have the blown-out highlights issue with my Epson V100. Anyone have any hints about settings for scanners, to hit as close to the actual colors possible?
    The best way to fix brightness/contrast problems is at the scanner stage. What I do is always turn OFF any auto settings. This includes automatic color enhancement or auto tone. These settings are designed for high contrast, high saturation photos and are not suitable for the subtle tones of watercolor. You can also DECREASE the contrast by a tiny bit. The preview image may look a little murky or like it doesn't have enough contrast, but it will retain all your detail for Photoshop.

Once you have your scan, bring it into Photoshop and go to Image>Adjustments>Shadow/Highlight. For most watercolor paintings, for both Shadows and Highlight, slide the "Amount" layer to "1" and adjust the "tonal width" slider accordingly. I find that usually it's fine if the "tonal width" slider is at 50% for each. This should retain the detail while fixing the highlights, shadows, and midtones and preventing any blown-out highlights.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windfalcon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    You can get them for less than that: http://www.amazon.com/Mustek-ScanExp...1965620&sr=1-2

Also the A4 Canon's go for as low as $50 on Amazon (free shipping).
    Some time ago, I made a post about scanners, asking about that specific scanner. People warned me to avoid it, saying it had bad color quality (though the Amazon reviews don't look all that bad...). They said the Mustek 11x17 was only worth it if you wanted to scan black and white, and was a good choice for comic artists for that reason. But if color wash subtleties are indeed tough to pick up as mentioned above, I'm not sure about whether it would be a good choice. Though at the price you wouldn't be out too much if it wasn't...

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Zirngibism For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirngibism View Post
    Some time ago, I made a post about scanners, asking about that specific scanner. People warned me to avoid it, saying it had bad color quality (though the Amazon reviews don't look all that bad...). They said the Mustek 11x17 was only worth it if you wanted to scan black and white, and was a good choice for comic artists for that reason. But if color wash subtleties are indeed tough to pick up as mentioned above, I'm not sure about whether it would be a good choice. Though at the price you wouldn't be out too much if it wasn't...
    Actually I've heard bad things about the Mustek as well. I remembered a fellow artist friend of mine bought one and did a review on it, compared to her Epson. The link to the review is here: http://angelicshades.blogspot.com/20...s-a3-1200.html It even includes comparison images.

After reading the specs on the Mustek, it turns out that you sacrifice quality and detail for size. The resolution is 1200X1200, compared to 1200X2400 for the CanoScan LiDE 25 and 4800X9600 for the Epson Perfection V30.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've decided not to buy the Mustek scanner cos' of the shipping costs and also the plug may not be compatible with my country and I rather not take the risk. I'm gonna send my drawings to the scanning shop to get it all down for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.