Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. #161 -- Merlin's Familliar -- Posting WIPs thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #161 -- Merlin's Familliar -- Posting WIPs thread

For more infos and details about the rules go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Round #161 Merlin's Familliar!

Topic:
    Merlin's Familliar!

Merlin's Familliar-- Thanks to Cloister for this weeks topic.

A familliar is a creature kept by a powerful wizard as a type of companion. Wizards can take any type of creature as a familliar: birds, rats, lizards, etc. The black cat is the stereotypical familliar of witches. A familliar may aid the wizard in any number of ways, and it is often thought that a wizard and his/her familliar are spiritually or magically bonded. A wizard may use a familliar as an extra set of eyes, a focal point for insight into other realms (think of the movie Constantine when Keanu Reeves looked into the eyes of that cat so he could see into Hell) as a way to increase his/her influence, as well as simple companionship.

Having done a little reading about Merlin on Wikipedia, I can't find any mention that Merlin had a familliar in any of the Arthurian myths. So, we're going to invent one for him. Further, having read the article on Wikipedia, I learned that Merlin, as a wizard, is really quite special. Merlin was born a cambion, meaning one of his parents was human and one of his parents was a demon. Specifically, in this case, Merlin was born of a virgin mother, sired by an incubus, a demon which visits human women in their sleep and has sex with them. In certain versions of the Merlin story, Merlin was actually Satan's attempt at fathering the Antichrist! Merlin's mother came to realize Satan's plan and quickly had her infant son baptized to save him from the fate of bringing the end of the world. Merlin was saved that diabolical fate, but retained his supernatural insight and powers, growing up to be the most famous wizard in all of literature.

So, here's the deal. As a wizard in search of a familliar, I don't think Merlin would have been satisfied adpoting any old cat or bird or lizard. Merlin is an entity born of both the natural world and the realm of Hell. I think Merlin would have used his magical power to create a completely new creature to serve as his spiritual and magical companion. In keeping with his own nature, this familliar would have to be both of the natural world and Hell.

Your task is to design a new creature that would serve the purpose of being Merlin's familliar, his spiritual companion, in life. Really push to create a new creature design that fits the description. New creature. Not a lizard with a lions mane and devil horns. Look at real animals for anatomical reference, certainly... but create something NEW.

All right. Have fun with it.

Deadline:
    Monday November 23rd, 2009

Finals go here: http://="http://www.conceptart.org/f...d.php?t=174176

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours or more, i am human and have to work also, you know
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Michael Jaecks; November 17th, 2009 at 06:30 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Jaecks For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I'm spellbound by this COW.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn you Jaeks... I was going to take a break this week and get some work done. But I can't resist this one.

I just can't.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    freaking great! I am liking this topic. the cool thing is, I have a cockatiel (bird) gray with a white face, his name is Merlin

Totally in on this one

my start (quick thumbnail of an idea I have )

YOU TUBE of my progress

Last edited by xzacto; November 18th, 2009 at 03:03 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xzacto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    time to get crackin'! awesome topic!

Joshua A. Davis

♦♦Jackdaw♦♦ is offline This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.
    Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn.. I just get cracking on CHOW.. and then this comes up...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome topic! Thanks for the idea Cloister and good looks MJ for making it come to reality =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O hell yea!!! I'm in

....Coming Soon Reconstruction.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my initial sketch.
    It's been ages since I entered a C.O.W. I couldn't resist this topic.

UPDATE:
    Can't stop working on this, too much fun.
    Pretty much reworked a lot of the form and added some colour.
    It is looking a bit sci-fi but my concept is based around Merlin summoning this guy out of a realm of pure, arcane magic.

Critiques are very much appreciated!

Last edited by retter; November 17th, 2009 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Allways loved Bruegel/Bosch style devils.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah! this topic is an authentic riddle .... and i wanted to make a break this week....damn!

Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almost done

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiggers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking something small, impish, ugly, hell-born, possibly mildly annoying... but also intelligent and useful. Possibly winged as well.

P.S. damn that's cool, Wiggers. Definitely a Bosch-esque demon but also very much a new creature.

EDIT: So to expand on the whole "imp" thing I think I will develop his familiar as a special sort of minor demon that acts as a minion/messenger/valet to the royalty of Hell. So maybe some malformed crab, pig, frog, cat elements to give it an otherworldly and "old school" witchcraft feel.

EDIT EDIT: I can't stop thinking about this one but I'm at work so can't sketch. I am going to call the creature a "Diakonos Demon" (Greek for "servant"). They are born of the souls of Monarchs who were arrogant and cruel in life and normally reserved as the servants of Hell's hierarchy. But given Merlin's pedigree he is allowed one and nickname's the beast "Solomon".

Now I just have to draw him

Last edited by jspangler; November 17th, 2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Added sketch

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jspangler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wiggers thats a cool crit but im not sure wer'e allowed to put items on our crit (i wish we could ~_~)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to acb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    acb - yeah you are right - no accesoiries are allowed by the rules
    wiggers - ....which is a pitty - there should be an exception on this cause the familiars a tightly bond to humans which would give an excuse - but honestly i never imagined Merlin to be such an aggresive guy running around with an warbeast - but well i didnīt made any special research yet - itīs just that merlin doesnt got this evil image for me...
    Iīm really thinking to do something aswell .... scrap the cow-break!
    I think i go for something small which merlin hides below his robe - ( and doesnīt take my whole week to work out.... )
    i see some insect - type critter - maybe realated to the four elements.... hm....
    going to post wips later on ....

Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is a shame and should have an exception in this case.

I had wanted to put spectacles on my imp-creature (which I've dubbed "Solomon" in my head to help develop it's personality).

This COW is really more of a unique creature because its sort of a "pet". So really I see Wiggers' armor piece as a collar like you would put on a dog. Is that sort of thing allowed?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oohoohoo, juicy topic idea, my imaginations already overflowin, count me in

cut me. i bleed paint.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic, allways had a great interest in the Arthur saga since I was a kid. Will be taking a celtic approach to this.. with some influence from norse mythology. I really see Merlin as a really cool renegade druid kinda guy with badass runic tattoos and braided beard and stuff, with his familiar being similar to it's master

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's the comments acb, jspangler and Vaghauk i do know the rule about no accesoiries but i'm thinking it is a magical creature conjured up by Merlin and so is not a species it is unique so it doesn't fit into the species rule, also i wanted to give it something which would put it in the medieval world.

I guess it's down to Mr Jaecks

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiggers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm....well MJ i guess wiggers has a point here cuz it says on the descrption :
    I think Merlin would have used his magical power to create a completely new creature to serve as his spiritual and magical companion
    .....maybe...we can make a crit with accessories....just this time ( O_O ) cuz well as it breaks the part of a species rule...then its unique...and if its unique then why not giving it accessories as it is the purpose of merlin that hes unique creature will be safe . i dont think there is something wrong with making exceptions once in a while....after all...our c.o.w mascot has accessories ^.^

30. The Following User Says Thank You to acb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi... its my first time posting on a C.O.W thread and i have a little question about the line about "no human-like creatures" does it apply to imps? i mean imps look like humans... kinnda... and i was curious

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ohhhhhwee.....demons=fun!

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agree.

imps are skinny small humanlike creatures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it all depends on how you build your "imp". the "imp" creature that I sketched above and am calling a "Deikinos Demon" is clearly based on a monkey with goat-ish legs. I plan to push the concept further into "animal territory" by implementing mismatched pig and goat legs, mismatched bat and raven wings, cat's eyes, and a "crown" of horns.

I don't think using a semi-bipedal form necessarily puts it off limits.

Jaeks please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first exploration thumbs.
    when i think merlin,i think ravens,so I'll probably base my creature on that. also,what would he need him for? exploration,espionage, and possibly transportation.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool =]

What's up all? This is my sketch so far for this for Merlin's Familliar! Hope you like. C&C always welcomed =]

-=Lege

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I shall make mine from..

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Mordus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome mordus, awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lord M: I think your bottome quote is hilarious,lol….”When god gives you lemons, you def gotta find a new god. =]

Retter: I like your initial sketch idea but think you should consider rendering more in the black and gray tones. The black and gray method seems to work best for most of us artists on here when it comes to quickly rendering 3Dimensional forms and getting the values right.

Just something to consider though. I even sometimes use the black and gray methods to do my underpaintings for my traditional work. It seems to work very well and you can always wash color in or go in more opaque and saturated in those areas of focus. You got a cool thing going on with your complimentary color scheme. I think the blue creature stands out nice against the orange back ground.

Wiggers: Dope sketch and render man. That’s coming out tight. Nice texturing on your creature and muted colors. Do you think you’ll feature some hind legs on this thing or just leave it a swimming creature? I like how you rendered out that top dorsal fin.

Jspangler: I am liking the sketches man. I am actually doing some value studies over them just to get in some practice with that and using Corel Painter more. I like the idea of your creature flying. Right now the sketch kind of reminds me of one of those flying monkeys from the wizard of oz movie.

Carnifex: I like your sketches a lot! Nice and loose and very dope how you blotched in the gray with the white highlights. I know it’s simple but I think it looks cool. I also like the color work that you got going there. It’s neat to see a different painting approach cause a lot of people’s stuff on here all has the same painting look. Your style stands out, definitely something to elaborate on.

Mordus: Let’s see this bone, clay, blood, herb concoction of yours =]

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.