Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    I have uploaded my work to the finals, but somehow it don't really show it's there (at least partly)- I hope no mistake happened..

nebezial: Looks great: Hehe, surely better than using wood all the time.

Tommoy: I don't think it have to be small necessary- looks great, btw.

MasterStryke: Looks good, but there is still some sort of lighting needed.

Mr.Wittmann: I really love the design of your creature, can't wait to see it finished!

scorge: Nice little creature here: I love that you added some kind of signs on the skin, it really gives him a magical feeling.

lkjhgfdsa: Looks great- although this seems to be more a spell, than a creature that follows Merlin everywhere- but why not?

Obacmar: Hehe, I also love the character of this creature.

NickyBeats: Looks also interesting: Some kind of lighting would be nice to add.

LORD M: I don't like pink that much- but I think it fits for this creature, since it's more comical.

3mMajster: The new head looks much better than the old one, I think.

Steve Somers: Wow, looks really fantastic: I especially love the little animation you have added here.

DLLShaggit: The head of this golem looks much better than your original one: Also the effects looks great.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Orm Irian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Scorge - Another home run, nice naughty magic critter.

Lord M - Thanks - I hadn't thought of Hellboy till you mentioned it, but I see what you mean. I was thinking more: mandrake root, Ernst Haeckel etchings, owls, peacocks, moths etc.

Master Stryke - Yeah, the left leg and the way the arms rest on the legs could use some attention, and the grey arcs coming from the side of his head are confusing.

lkjhgfdsa - The ice blue crab dragon is looking nice.

Tommoy - Cool start, interested to see where you take it.

Nebezial - That's a slick concept, every house should have one.

DwinbotP - Surely you've got something cooking in mind for this - hope you've got time to bust it out.

Updates and new work:
    www.stevesomersart.blogspot.com

CA Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=175919

Available for freelance

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice one scorge .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiggers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    C.O.W. #161 -- Merlin's Familliar -- Posting WIPs thread

work in progress, my wacom pen died upon hitting the floor earlier so I might not finish in time. Anyway, so far I thought a few of these looked more like pets, kind of dark and brutal. I thought I'd design something that looked more benign and companion-like. As well as cartoony, for the sake of fun.

Thanks
    thanks orm and steve

the lighting is in work how you can see in this wip.

the work on the legs is the next point. ive sketched the new feet.. i think it's correct now.

and changed the arcs into shiny horn like thingies

@TimM:maybe you should darken him up and add much more reflections of the sunlight

Thanks
    Getting in a bit late, been meaning to get back into the weeklies for a while now. Hopefully will get in earlier next week, work permitting.

Explored a bunch of odd creature designs, based around the idea of a critter that I, as a wizard, would build to be useful in servitude. Needs to have hands, eyes, the ability to move around quickly, and should be small enough to follow the wizard anywhere it might move. Unusual designs are okay, this is a demonborn thingy after all.

The one I like best is the one that looks kinda like a zipper faced barn owl demon thingy. Not sure if this crosses the "based on a real animal" line. I'm thinking of it as a demon demon that happens to have the silouhette and markings of a terrestrial creature for camoflage purposes. If not, I'll work up the snakey creature instead.

The flying zipperfaced demon particularly appealed to me in concept, in that it could lead to the more popular Owl familiar that merlin is attributed in Arthurian legend. Though it is not in fact an owl, glimpsed briefly it might leave that impression on the viewer.

Critiques for other people:

Tim M: Sorry to hear about your Wacom pen! Hope you're able to get it working again. Love the colors in your image, but it feels like the light hitting the monster is white instead of orange. Maybe go through and emphasize that orange lighting where it's hitting the monster's skin.

DLLShaggit: Love the design of the head and teeth and the colors on the stone. The fire effects look great. Agreement with LordM, the lighting is very ambiguous. Also something feels off on the wrists, the hands look disconnected somewhat.

Masterstrke:Love the creature design, the perspective and lighting is looking a lot better in the new version. The armor plates seem like they need a more defined surface texture. Maybe take a look at enameled stoneware for that?

Nebezial This one looks awesome, can't wait to see the finish. I can't see anything to improve aside from just finishing it up... Nice!

Tommoy I like the bulk and silhouette, but it's hard to see the actual design aside from that. Maybe choose an area to define more and bring it out a bit so we can see some more detail? Loving the piece overall.

Mr. Whittman Cool design, love the very sinew-y and wood-y appearance. Will critique more as it gets more finished.

Scorge Beautiful execution on this one. The textures and color complexity give it a really rich look. I agree with the comments on darkness, particularly on the right -> arm, which seems to be disappearing into the background a bit.

[/b]lkjhgfdsa[/b] Very cool insecty design! And I like the image of it being summoned/created instead of just hanging about like mine. And idea to help show that it's being created, maybe pull in the "magic" effect a bit so that a part of it extends out into the "real world"?

Obacmar Hah, great concept! Those poses are great, especially as a collection. If you're debating on which to finish up, I vote for #2 (chill) or #6 (shy). They have a lot of attitude!

NickyBeats He's got a great expression, and I love the rendering. The right -> ear feels off to me, like it's a bit too far in and on another plane from the rest of the head. I know cats ears rotate quite a bit, just looks odd to me.

Steve Somers Freaking awesome. Looks done to me drawing and painting-wise. Only thing I'd consider for a final would be to pull back the contrast in a few areas to create more visual focus. Maybe the right -> wing and towards the bottom a bit?
    Last edited by TheMoody; November 22nd, 2009 at 06:46 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMoody For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the crits guys, there are more and more great pics, LOL.
    It's almost done, now have to get some sleep.

Thanks
    Last post was a bit sketchy to really show where it was going, so here's a version that's actually painted a bit.

This thing is about 2 feet tall (I'll be sure to include something for scale later).

I imagine that it eats about the same things as a predatory bird or cat. Small rodents, big bugs. With it's hinge mouth () it can probably eat something as large as a housecat, but it wouldn't be able to fly very well for a while afterwards...

Probably won't be doing a background this week, since I really only have today to work on it. I'll be at work until the deadline tomorrow.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMoody For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 282 Posts
    I know it isn't D&D but there is a spell for summoning familiars...
    update; more decals to go...
    The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    Here is my work so far- Any crits?
    64% of all percentages are made up on the spot.

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...06#post1686206

Thanks
    Really nice stuff going on on in this COW... but I always want to see what the next one will be. Looking forward to seeing some final familiars.

As someone said earlier, my familiar ended up looking fairly evil. But hey, he's from Hell after all.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jspangler For This Useful Post:

Thanks

WIP 2

Okay, I think this is a final now. I'll post into the other thread in a couple hours unless there's any critique on it?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMoody For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am really no good at coloring things in ... I need to find a mentor because color and light are terrible on me!!!!

Thanks

Obacmar's Final

Hey yo all

Its been a fun ride, but I'm outta time.
    So It's un-finished, but not bad for a couple of days. I think I'll start earlier in the next challenge.

I just wanted to get something of a composition. So.. I used photos for the BG. In fact I butchered together some of my earlier WIP to get the creature together as-well.
    I like em
    wudduh you think?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Obacmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    xzacto, i think only the head is not enough, but let's see

and thanks moody, ill try this idea

when exactly is the contest over? (time)

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast