Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    hey guys this my first cow so thought id give a try, merlin to me dosent bring demonic creature to mind so i thought id make something almost "cute" but here is some wip thinking something like a glowing birdlike pterodactyl.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Undeadartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey guys, some great stuff happening here! I've been meaning to take part in COW for a while now so I figured I'd have a crack at this one.

Matt B: Ha ha, some interesting creatures you have there. Perhaps you could try taking your favourite parts from each and melding them together?

Blobs: Coming alone nicely man, I really like the atmosphere you're going for.

3mMajster: Keep working at it. One thing I would suggest is to repeat certain elements throughout the whole design to give it better unity. For example you could use that knobbly texture on the face elsewhere on the body.

DLLShaggit: Looking good! I think I prefer the second face I like the shape of the lower jaw.

jspangler: I think I see what you're going for with the bat/bird wings. That's a really interesting idea, I look forward to seeing it come together in the finished piece.

LORD M: Ha ha. Merlin's expression is classic. Nice to see that you've gone for a more lighthearted approach.

Steve Somers: Looking great Steve. The design is so elaborate. I hope you manage to incorporate it into the background without losing the feel of the original design.

jcpahl: I like the way you've handled the muscles. Are the wings going to be slightly transparent? maybe you could give them some subtle patterning.

JakkaS: Wooo, looking sweet mate. Can't wait to read the story behind it.

Orm Irian: Looking good! I think the creature will sit better in the space once you tighten up the background.

retter: Coming along nicely mate. I think I like "A" the best. I don't know... the combination of shapes just look more interesting in that one. I like the spikey elements you've intorduced into that one too.

Wiggers: Ha, wow, he looks evil. You've done a great job of rendering the armour. I hate to disagree with JakkaS, but I think you've done enough in the background to convey the size of the creature. Although I'm probably not as familiar with the shape of different animal skulls.

n1va: I love how you've done the head, although I think it might look a little too human.

Arthur 'Two Sheds': Shhedsey! Nice work mate. You always use such vibrant colours, I love it.

Lege1: Still plenty of time left. I would just try experimenting with different things now, you might surprise yourself.

JustSomeDude: That sounds like an ambitious concept to convey, I hope you pull it off!

ActsOfBob: Great design! I really like how the features on the face are arranged into a kind of star shape.

mattj324: Keep going matt! I look forward to seeing it when you've introduced some other different elements. Looking a bit too "foxy" at the moment.

mongreldesigns: Yeah, some kind of texture will look great on that. Try making a bunch of custom brushes and working them together to get some variation.

Carnifex: Very cool, I love your sketching style.

Ok, and finally here's my messy sketch. I'm considering breaking with tradition and actually finishing this one. Fingers crossed I don't screw up the colouring...

Attachment 834010

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jaro For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    C.O.W. #161 -- Merlin's Familliar -- Posting WIPs thread
    Up late tonight, sick. Figured I'd come back and give it a go! Been a VERY long time.

His name is Percival Pennypants.

I imagined a creature comprised of features of other animals deemed 'wise'.
    So this is a sort of bearded monkey mixed with an owl/goat thing.
    I figured he needed to be mischievous as well, so I added the goat-demon like facial features.

Looking forward to your guys' thoughts!
    Cheers,
    Z
    --------------
    Wickedness is a myth invented by good people to account for the curious attraction of others.

My Blogspot

www.cannibalcandy.com

Look at the monkey wh0re himself out:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78819

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44658

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cannibalcandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wip 1
    Merlins little helper, a small imp of some kind

Thanks
    Cannibalcandy - that is freaking gorgeous.

Thanks
    Hey, thanks for the tipps and comments, MasterStryke, LORD M and Jaro! It's much appreciated!

Hmm, I will try to comment also some of the uploaded works here, so here we go:

Mr.Wittmann: I really like the design of the head of this creature, though the legs seem to be a little bit off (especially the one on the left side).

cannibalcandy: It's a really lovely mixture of many different animals: It looks really great: I especially love the long arms.

Jaro: Looks very interesting, this monkey-like creature- I'm sure it will look great in the end.

Undeadartist: Also a lovely idea, but I would bow the fingers a little bit maybe- I wouldn't hold a creature this way at least.

Matt_B: Interesting concepts: I like the one on the left side at the bottom the most- but there also some good things in the other concepts.

blobs: Wow, that looks really cool- I especially love the lighting in this picture.

3mMajster: Really interesting concept here.

DLLShaggit: Heh, looks good: I love the first design of the head the most, somehow, but if you would like to have something different than usual, I would pick the third of them.

jspangler: Looks great, I love the idea of giving the creature one bird wing and one bat wing.

LORD M: Hehe, that's really a funny concept, I love the sketch at the bottom (especially Merlin's expression).

Steve Somers: Looks great, I like the design of the head and also of the wings. The lighting in the cave looks also interesting.

jcpahl: Hmm, looks interesting- especially the expression of the face, although I would have choose other colors (I don't like pink that much).

JakkaS: Also a very interesting creature: I would love to read the story about it.

retter: Hmm, somehow I like B the most, but A would also look great.

...and finally: Another update of my creature!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orm Irian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    cannibalcandy - What a charming fellow you have there, exquisite face. Can't wait to see how you finish that off. I love that -- beast pig macaque goat ... thing...

Orm Irian - Awesome progress on your creature! The head turned out like a reptilian jewel, I like that irridescent coloring. Hope you'll have time to resolve the rest of the picture to that degree.
    Last edited by Steve Somers; November 20th, 2009 at 03:00 PM.

Updates and new work:
    www.stevesomersart.blogspot.com

CA Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=175919

Available for freelance

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    need feed back asap plz, whats working, whats not and what you would do different with the design and is it still to foxy?C.O.W. #161 -- Merlin's Familliar -- Posting WIPs thread

Thanks

merlins familiar - sketches

oh - not much time this week -as an result i got nothing special yet - but here it goes . - somehow i like the one in the middle ....
    unfortunatly i just recieved some bad news - i don´t know if i will be able to continue this one ---- :/
    Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Steve Somers's - looks crazy awesome

Orm Irian - i see that it has wings, i think it would be cool to see a silhouette drawing of it flying, i can kinda see it flying like a yellow jacket

JakkaS
    - i almost did something like that, i was going to do a creature that would move his house or was his house. and is that Merlin as a kid on top of that. if it is that would be great because no one else is doing the area of when he was a boy

Retter - i like B, it looks kinda like a octopus/ bird, and i'd play that up a little more. I'd have the leg/arms same length
    and have 6 of them then under neath the body i would put 2 bird legs, i feel that it fly's. it doesn't need wings (its magic) you don't have to use my advice just a suggestion.

me- i will be doing a front 3/4 of mine (fox like on the back) (bug/ bird,bones in the front)
    Last edited by mattj324; November 20th, 2009 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks
    lol cannibalcandy... I really want to smack "Percival Pennypants" right off that fence. He's wonderful... you've really packed a lot of character into a single image. Well done, can't wait to see the final.

blobs : That is one BIG dragon. I like him, hope you do find the time to complete the image.
    Jaro : Cool little critter. Kind of a magic marmoset-ish thingy. Also hope you keep going.
    Vaughauk : Looks like you are going toward an elemental/spirit creature. Sorry to hear you had some bad news. Hope you can find time for your familiar.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jspangler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    undeadartist: nice little bird-critter - lots of personality - you should study the bird-bat anatomy to give an more realistic feel to it - the idea is really cool !
    Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

Thanks
    yeah orm, the colours bring much more life and magic to your familliar

looks nice

my first sketch.. mixed up some ideas i got from old alchemy-sketches.

please some tips how i can intensify, that this plates belong to his body!
    (grow out of his flesh)

stryke
    Last edited by MasterStryke; November 20th, 2009 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks
    Since familiars are supposed to be a spellcaster's second set of eyes, I'm trying to incorperate an eye motif into it.

Thanks
    Hey guys, thanks for the support. I'm sad to say that this image IS my final. I guess the benchmark for rendering in a concept painting has gone way up!! I won't have time to go back to it, so if it doesn't clear as a finished piece for the contest I'll understand. next time I have some free time for another contest I'll render that entry better.
    --------------
    Wickedness is a myth invented by good people to account for the curious attraction of others.

My Blogspot

www.cannibalcandy.com

Look at the monkey wh0re himself out:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78819

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44658

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast