Frank Reilly Method Book

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 2,380 Posts

Frank Reilly Method Book

I didn't see this posted anywhere on the site so I thought I'd share it with everybody.
    If you aren't familiar with Frank Reilly, he had taught many of the most successfull illustrators in America from the 30's through the 60's. Those students have gone on to teach other generations of students like Jeff Watts who now teaches his own version of the Reilly method to people in the movie industry.
    Anyway, one of Reilly's students, Doug Higgins, has posted his Reilly classroom notes as a book for sale and online at

http://www.dhfa.net/

the book which is in black and white only, is 14 bucks, but the information is up on his site for free. Anybody who is trying to learn how to draw, this is the information you are looking for.
    Dean Cornwell would use Reilly students to help him with mural projects because he knew they were well trained.

There is a great bio on Reilly here with images so you can see the quality of the work
    http://www.americanartarchives.com/reilly.htm

Last edited by dpaint; November 16th, 2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: grammer
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Hi dpaint, there's actually been quite a bit of Reilly discussion here (thread on available books, thread on background/history). I've noticed you bring his teaching up often, were you a student/student of a student?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    I didn't see this posted anywhere on the site so I thought I'd share it with everybody.
    If you aren't familiar with Frank Reilly, he had taught many of the most successfull illustrators in America from the 30's through the 60's. Those students have gone on to teach other generations of students like Jeff Watts who now teaches his own version of the Reilly method to people in the movie industry.
    Anyway, one of Reilly's students, Doug Higgins, has posted his Reilly classroom notes as a book for sale and online at

http://www.dhfa.net/

the book which is in black and white only, is 14 bucks, but the information is up on his site for free. Anybody who is trying to learn how to draw, this is the information you are looking for.
    Dean Cornwell would use Reilly students to help him with mural projects because he knew they were well trained.

There is a great bio on Reilly here with images so you can see the quality of the work
    http://www.americanartarchives.com/reilly.htm
    Regardless of whether you're Reilly's wife/son/daughter/teacher/maid/butler/student/descendant, thanks for posting this stuff here. This guy has his own method of drawing and teaching which is different from the usual Vilppu/Bridgeman/Loomis stuff! Thanks! It's an eye-opener!

Members who have read this thread: 12