Shaky Hands
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Shaky Hands

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Shaky Hands

As the title says, I have shaky hands. One can imagine how this can interfere with art...
    I've worked around this early in my child hood by just simply sketching very lightly and swiftly in a petting motion, as I've heard it's called.
    However, I thought this was something normal?
    I've been looking it into a bit and turns out it's not...
    Well... For my own sake I was hoping to see if I could discover more on this and see if whether or not I can find a solution for myself.

I don't have access to a doctor, due to certain personal issues, so I'm looking for simple home remedies or exercises. However, health wise, I think I'm fine. I'm not malnourished. I have no diseases that could attribute to this like arthritis or Parkinson's. The only thing wrong with me is a bit of extra baggage and high blood pressure for my age, but I don't see how those would contribute to this. (Unless my pulse is so high it's shaking my hands?...)

The only logical thing I can think of would be is that the muscles in my forearms are relatively weak, and I've been trying out exercises to change that. (With little success..)

If any one with experience with things like this has advice to offer, it'd be great. Hopefully it may improve my drawing ability.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehtosis View Post
    As the title says, I have shaky hands. One can imagine how this can interfere with art...
    I've worked around this early in my child hood by just simply sketching very lightly and swiftly in a petting motion, as I've heard it's called.
    However, I thought this was something normal?
    I've been looking it into a bit and turns out it's not...
    Well... For my own sake I was hoping to see if I could discover more on this and see if whether or not I can find a solution for myself.

I don't have access to a doctor, due to certain personal issues, so I'm looking for simple home remedies or exercises. However, health wise, I think I'm fine. I'm not malnourished. I have no diseases that could attribute to this like arthritis or Parkinson's. The only thing wrong with me is a bit of extra baggage and high blood pressure for my age, but I don't see how those would contribute to this. (Unless my pulse is so high it's shaking my hands?...)

The only logical thing I can think of would be is that the muscles in my forearms are relatively weak, and I've been trying out exercises to change that. (With little success..)

If any one with experience with things like this has advice to offer, it'd be great. Hopefully it may improve my drawing ability.

Honestly I think its your head. I think all artists or rather everyone has shaky hands when it comes to doing something intricate or detailed.

My solution is don't think about it. When you start drawing just let your mind float, maybe listen to music. Have happy thoughts. I bet you it will go away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that some shaking is rather normal in almost most circumstances, unless you are a surgeon... Not sure how bad your problem actually is though.

How many years have you been drawing for? do you think it could just be practice? You often hear people talk about line quality and I think this is one aspect of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it could be nothing or it could be something more serious. In 2004 I got out of the army and was working as a server (serving the food and wine at weddings) and my hands would shake when I'd pour drinks and such. I thought nothing of it and just adjusted my habbits, assuming it was an old army injury acting up. Till one day it got to the point where I had to quit the job because it was too imbarrasing and I couldn't do my job. Anyway long story short, my Dr ran some blood tests and found I have Grave's Disease (hyperactive thyroid).

So, I would suggest if you can look into seeing a doctor because it could be something more serious. Is it light shaking or very visible shaking? Does it shake more when you're around people? Does it sometimes shake more violently (such as rice or peas would be shaken off a fork if you were eating)? Is it both hands or just 1?

If its mild and only 1 hand then you may just be straining your hands somehow if not I would defniately get it looked into.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amber Alexander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can use it to your benefit.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Andrews For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cakeair;
    Exactly what I thought as well, I just wanted to make sure.

Feder!co;
    Been drawing ever since I was a little kid referencing what I saw on the funny papers lol.
    Took a break when in high school but I don't think that matters all too much.

Amber;
    See that's just the thing. Visible by who's perspective? Because to me I can see the shaking clear as day. However I wouldn't say some one who's sitting a seat next to me would be all that concerned. Either way, it's not as violent as the shaking you've described, thankfully. Definitely both though.

arttorney; Nope.

Daniel; That's exactly the answer I needed lol. Thank you. Definitely saving that video for a bit. :]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Joehtosis For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.