Photoshop vs Photoshop Elements

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool Photoshop vs Photoshop Elements

Can someone tell me what the difference is because i've never used Photoshop (1-7) the only photoshop that i have ever used was elements 3.0 i think that is it, and that was only at school.
    Also is photoshop elements just as good as normal photoshop (for drawing/other).
    And its it worth getting Photoshop 7? I don't know how much it is but i'm sure its a pretty penny

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never used Elements, but from what I understand there's a reason for the huge difference in price tags, and you get what you pay for.

The price scale is this (according to amazon.com)
    Elements: $80
    CS4 Student: $200
    CS4 Full: $650

This is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

It contains most of the features of the professional version but with fewer and simpler options. The program allows users to create, edit, organize and share images, all from the same product.

Originally introduced alongside Photoshop version 7, Photoshop Elements targets photography enthusiasts and thus lacks many features that make it useful in a proper print production environment. For example, Photoshop Elements cannot export files in the CMYK colour mode (without using a third-party plug-in), supports a simplified colour management system, and excludes detailed soft-proofing. It also either eliminates completely or offers simplified versions of some of the more powerful plug-ins, and instead has a number of features aimed at non-experts (such as removing the red-eye effect or changing the skin tone in a picture). An example of a redesigned feature would be the Variations correction dialog. Some versions can, however, open, edit, and save PDFs.
    It sounds like it's very similar to other programs that often come with scanners and printers and focus more on touching up your photos in basic ways than being a powerful painting tool. If you want to learn digital painting, I would spring for a full version of Photoshop. It's pretty easily obtainable, after all. I don't know about the difference between student and full on Amazon, but if you have a connection to a university they often sell professional versions for vastly discounted price-- the last time I checked, my university was selling the full Creative Suite for $400, and that was before they got a deal allowing students to download it for free.

If you want cheap photoshop, though, I would recommend a freeware program like GIMP over Elements. It will have more tools, if a slightly different navigation system, and it's free.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it."

Got Art? My Website

My deviantART Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I switched from Photoshop CS3 to Photoshop Elements 7 and don´t miss a thing... okay maybe except layer masks (for effect-layers, masks are still available).
    Some things are dissabled like the flow settings but you can use them via shortkeys.
    For drawing/painting and photography it is allright!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I first started with elements when I got my tablet.

Elements really isn't that different from regular photoshop. But photoshop has alot more.

Gimp is ok compared to photoshop elements. Elements interface and whatnot is just more user friendly I think.

Now I use photoshop 7.0 and I love it, I've been using it for years now . I've had cs3 but I just can't get away from 7.0 it's my favorite of the whole series

weird I know lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well i'm hoping to get a Bamboo Fun for Xmas and that come with Photoshop elements and so some other stuff, and the Fun it a pretty penny itself so looks like for right now the CS Full or student is out of the question lol

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.