Planning on moving to Seattle or Portland area... opinions? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Planning on moving to Seattle or Portland area... opinions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shehaub View Post
    Don't forgot that in Oregon you don't have to get out of your car to buy gas. Someone pumps it for you. I really miss that... (I am originally from Pendleton, Eastern Oregon)
    This actually bugs me. I don't mind the option of full serve, but the fact that you *have* to let someone else pump your gas...?

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    Pioneer Square abuts a lot of art galleries and shops, but a lot of bums hang out there because of "mission" type facilites in the area. Queen Anne is the place for you if you want to buy a turn of the (last) century house to refurbish-- maybe rub elbows with some of the city's elite. Capital Hill is super dooper fabulously gay.

Beacon Hill, 1st Hill, White Center: you're looking at higher crime areas.

Ballard's nice, but it's kind of out of the way from the core of the city.

Fremont: People here ride bicycles, naked, past a statue of Lenin to celebrate the Solstice. . .
    Yup, all true.
    That's definitely something I forgot to mention. Seattle doesn't have all that much crime for a city of this size (mostly petty things, occasional muggings, cars being broken into, people asking if you are "lookin" or "holdin" etc), but the homeless and "crazy bum" (I separate the two) populations are pretty strong. It's one of those things, like the rain, that you just accept over time.

It's not something you really become too much of a bleeding heart over, because for every 1 legitimate, hard-times, homeless person there is...there's probably 5 scammers that have a house but just dress in bum-wear to make bank (and they do make bank).

I've seen some nasty, annoying bums...and some truly kind and endearing bums. It depends. I've never felt unsafe in Seattle after 10pm even in the heart of downtown. Then again, I probably look like one of the riffraff myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard great things about Portland, even though I'm in Vermont which is on the other side and similar to that. I'm originally from Ohio, though (long story). I know a guy who's a comic book illustrator who lived in Burlington, VT and has relocated to Portland over a year ago and enjoys the place. Most of what you described is similar to my experiences here.

EDIT: and an old friend of mine from Ohio's been seriously considering moving to Portland by a year or so for personal and professional reasons.

Of course, I would like to see more of the creative scene to explode more often. Fortunately, there's always Montreal as above, and Boston so below.

Cheers,

-A

Quote Originally Posted by PatriciaS View Post
    Awright, being all sober now, I'll post a quickie bullet pointed list of the benefits of Portland:

*Public transportation. Me and my SO lived on the SE side, Hawthorne on SE 15th and the only time we had to drive was when we went to the gym. Other than that - it's walking, riding your bike or taking the bus/trolly/light rail to get around. We often walked to/from work as we both worked right downtown.

I often catch the train to go to either Portland or Seattle, too - so Amtrak isn't too bad either.

*Location, location, location: There's the Oregon coastline with some quaint and nice beach towns (Newport, Seaside, Cannon Beach, etc.). There's the high desert where there's Bend; there's mountains for hiking, camping and skiing.

*Great neighborhoods. There's the rejuvenated N. Portland and St. Johns area (a few of my artist friends live in St. Johns); there's NW and the Pearl District; SE side has Hawthorne, Division and Belmont; NE you'll find Broadway, Laurelhurst, Alameda, Hollywood <- home to the annual HP Lovecraft Film Festival, btw.

In every single neighborhood you're gonna find fabulous restaurants, cafes and shops. Or a first/last Thursday gallery walk. You know, Portland is a food lover's paradise: someplace great to eat at for any wallet.

*Farmers Markets - got those in spades. Northwest has a smorgasbord of great produce year round.

*Creatives abound. Lots of figure drawing studios in Portland; especially on the east side. There's Hipbone Studio and The Drawing Studio - just to name a couple. I know that Portland State U holds open sessions and that if you're a regular to the Illustrators Open (first Saturday of the month gathering of artists at the Art Institute), you can take part of the Friday figure drawing sessions there.

Lots of artists in Portland, too.

*Small indie theaters - oh boy. If you like film, Portland is a great film town. There's also the infamous theaters that serve wine/beer/food.

*Beer/wine - Oregon is not just a great place for brewpubs/microbrews but also of wine/wineries.

*We're nice. Yes, Oregonians are nice folks. Yes, we are.

*I and a few other CA'ers live in this state; either in Portland or near it.

--That's all I got so far. Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've been dying to at least visit Portland, if not live there. Heard so many good things about it. I'm envious of the people posted here saying they are going to move there.

I still have time... I'm young. But god dammit, I'm jealous! : O

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be in Seattle; end of discussion.
    Come run away with me Dave and Chelsea.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Idiot Apathy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1