Planning on moving to Seattle or Portland area... opinions?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Planning on moving to Seattle or Portland area... opinions?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Planning on moving to Seattle or Portland area... opinions?

Me and Chelsea(loveandasandwich) are planning a move next summer to the west coast. We're lookin at Seattle or Portland... Any opinions on which is the better city and how the prices on rent and whatnot compare? I just started looking recently and so far Portland seems like the better deal. But I'm not sure if its a better city for the money?

We'll be flying out there around February or so to check it out... hopefully I'll be able to hook up with some of you dudes and go around the cities !

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I can't comment on anything related to Portland as I have only visited there, but I have lived in Seattle for about 10 years...I feel qualified to relay my knowledge of the area to you.

Seattle is definitely a little pricey, but it depends on where you live of course. Basically, as close to downtown as you live the higher price it's gonna be. If you are buying a house, you'll probably need to look at areas around Bothell, Everett, Lynwood, Renton, or Kent...that is, unless you make 6 digits or have a HUGE savings.

If you are just renting, the same principal applies with downtown being the epicenter of high price and it radiates outward. I live in a largish 2-bedroom apartment for 1350.00 a month....I'd say the average price for middle class apartment is anywhere from 900-1400 a month. I've heard Portland is like a "mini-seattle" culture wise, so if money is your only factor in deciding...then I guess go with that one. But I fell in love with Seattle my first day here. It's got everything I want for a city, so I would definitely recommend visiting both before you decide.

Hope you like rain...it's not an exaggeration. It really does look grey and rainy from September to about March and it doesn't let up. But when it does let up, it's gorgeous because there's no pollution. Summers are warm, but not blazing. I think we had one 3-day heatwave this last summer that was like 95-105 but that had everyone freaking out because it never gets that hot. The biggest mistake you can make if you move out here is thinking the rain won't bother you, but then every time it rains you are one of those people that's like "GAWSH, I SURE WISH THE SUN WOULD COME OUT! I WISH IT WERE SUMMER". Argh...if you want that, move to LA or San Diego. Because you will absolutely not get that here, haha. I love the rain, so it's perfect for me.

Good luck!

-D

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I lived in Seattle for about 10 years as well, as a kid, then got to go back for the seattle workshop. I can't express my love for that city enough, rain and everything. Living portside is the best. I also love my Seahawks and Soncis

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I moved out here to Portland last year and I'm loving it so far. Yes, it does rain almost every day starting late october /early november through march or april or so, but I don't think it's that bad personally. and it's usually more of a light rain, rather than heavy downpours and it hardly ever storms really bad. But if you hate rain, then both of these cities will get you down in the winter. spring summer and fall, however, fucking amazing! you don't have to drive more than an hour or so in any direction to see some really incredible landscapes and nature shit. waterfalls, rivers, volcanoes, the ocean, farms, mountains, valleys, canyons, you name it, it's here.

Also, I wouldn't really recommend visiting in Feb. if you really want to get a good feel for the city. It will almost certainly be cloudy and rainy and cold, and you won't be able to really enjoy any of the scenery.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CruShTinbOX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Can't be worse than where we are now, weather-wise. In the winter the amount of snow we get is ridiculous, it never leaves after the first time it snows and sticks, and doesn't go away till the end of April, maybe even later. I'd welcome rain as opposed to 3 feet of accumulated snow & temperatures in the negatives. D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The northwest in general is filled with exceptional creatives, gorgeous and inspiring vistas and lots of other eye candy for the artist.

Amongst all of this? Portland Kicks. Ass.

Of course, I'm biased. I live (now) just south and well frankly, more exceptional artists nearby would be uber cool. Plus, I'm extremely drunk (so I'm here to tell ya we've got a LOT of good beer and wine around).

Enydimon is offline Drunken Bridgman lead me to victory! Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... You just want to move to Portland because of that Marijuana Cafe.

Nah, jk. I've never lived in the US before, but I've traveled all over, and Portland seemed really nice.

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) - The United States' first marijuana cafe opened on Friday, posing an early test of the Obama administration's move to relax policing of medical use of the drug.

The Cannabis Cafe in Portland, Oregon, is the first to give certified medical marijuana users a place to get hold of the drug and smoke it -- as long as they are out of public view -- despite a federal ban.

"This club represents personal freedom, finally, for our members," said Madeline Martinez, Oregon's executive director of NORML, a group pushing for marijuana legalization."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Enydimon View Post
    ... You just want to move to Portland because of that Marijuana Cafe.
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    "PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) - The United States' first marijuana cafe opened on Friday, ..."
    that's really mature guys...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeyslayer View Post
    that's really mature guys...
    meh, whatev, I loled

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been to Portland, it's a great town but I don't like it as much as Seattle. You can always drive to Portland for a weekend if you live in Seattle. It's just about as far away as Vancouver B.C. which is another added bonus of living in Seatown. I've lived in upstate NY, ME, MA (Family in CT and NH), VA, MD, CA, HI, FL, and IL and someone will have to drag me out of Washington kicking and screaming. The summers make up for the rainy season.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Undertow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awright, being all sober now, I'll post a quickie bullet pointed list of the benefits of Portland:

*Public transportation. Me and my SO lived on the SE side, Hawthorne on SE 15th and the only time we had to drive was when we went to the gym. Other than that - it's walking, riding your bike or taking the bus/trolly/light rail to get around. We often walked to/from work as we both worked right downtown.

I often catch the train to go to either Portland or Seattle, too - so Amtrak isn't too bad either.

*Location, location, location: There's the Oregon coastline with some quaint and nice beach towns (Newport, Seaside, Cannon Beach, etc.). There's the high desert where there's Bend; there's mountains for hiking, camping and skiing.

*Great neighborhoods. There's the rejuvenated N. Portland and St. Johns area (a few of my artist friends live in St. Johns); there's NW and the Pearl District; SE side has Hawthorne, Division and Belmont; NE you'll find Broadway, Laurelhurst, Alameda, Hollywood <- home to the annual HP Lovecraft Film Festival, btw.

In every single neighborhood you're gonna find fabulous restaurants, cafes and shops. Or a first/last Thursday gallery walk. You know, Portland is a food lover's paradise: someplace great to eat at for any wallet.

*Farmers Markets - got those in spades. Northwest has a smorgasbord of great produce year round.

*Creatives abound. Lots of figure drawing studios in Portland; especially on the east side. There's Hipbone Studio and The Drawing Studio - just to name a couple. I know that Portland State U holds open sessions and that if you're a regular to the Illustrators Open (first Saturday of the month gathering of artists at the Art Institute), you can take part of the Friday figure drawing sessions there.

Lots of artists in Portland, too.

*Small indie theaters - oh boy. If you like film, Portland is a great film town. There's also the infamous theaters that serve wine/beer/food.

*Beer/wine - Oregon is not just a great place for brewpubs/microbrews but also of wine/wineries.

*We're nice. Yes, Oregonians are nice folks. Yes, we are.

*I and a few other CA'ers live in this state; either in Portland or near it.

--That's all I got so far. Hope this helps!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smugbug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...what Patrica said, and we have no sales tax!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeadlyFreeze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man. Now I want to move to Oregon. Love the rocky beaches.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Burtzum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's green in both places. There's a big-ass river in Portland. There's a sound and some big-ass clams up at seattle.
    What are you looking for? If it's rain, then you are in business no matter what you decide. (edit: I love rain, as long as the people's central government is clearly in control of it.)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Seattle is expensive. Housing/rent is not as bad up in Snohomish County. A lot of people commute to Seattle from up there.

The "East Side"-- Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond is a lot greener and more suburban than Seattle. But, it is nearly as expensive rent and housing-wise.

The median value of a house in King County is now something like $450,000. And, that doesn't really buy you all that much of a house out here!

Rent? In King County, you'll probably have to pay over $750 a month for a one-bedroom apartment to avoid being in a not-so-nice area. Closer to the urban core of Bellevue or Redmond or Seattle, a (smaller) one-bedroom may well run you $1300-1400.

WA has no State income tax. But, sales tax runs 9 to 10%. Property taxes are probably just going to keep going up-- WA currently has a $10 Billion deficit!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    WA has no State income tax. But, sales tax runs 9 to 10%. Property taxes are probably just going to keep going up-- WA currently has a $10 Billion deficit!
    Heh, and Oregon has no sales tax, so people who live along the border, like Vancouver, WA, drive over here to Portland to buy stuff. The best of both worlds!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seattle is awesome - I can't imagine living anywhere else! I've rented in Ballard and the University District, both are great neighborhoods where you can walk to restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc, and are only 5-10 minutes from downtown. I was paying like $1250 for a 2 bed/1 bath in Ballard, about 900s/f. If you like camping and hiking and stuff you can make day trips into the Cascades or weekend trips out to the Olympics and see the most beautiful places in the country! The Hawks stink this year, though

28. The Following User Says Thank You to waffleKoan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread's great! My wife and I've really been thinking about relocating up to Seattle or Portland, and I'm basically just waiting for a job opportunity to work out before springing out there.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Jovian M is offline HOW MANY PUSH-UPS CAN YOU DO? Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=174084
    perfect timing for this
    Maybe a dealmaker

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meissner View Post
    This is brand new information!

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Portland was way nicer when I visited both cities 2 years ago. The people in Portland won't let big businesses tear down the Victorian architecture, so its a pretty classy place. There were a lot of outdoor cafes..Seattle felt too glass and cement like other large cities.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to aaro_n For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been living in downtown Portland for 4 years, but haven't managed to get to out to the prettier surrounding areas. Portland is sort of a Quasimodo of cities because of the lack of development. I enjoy the wetter and warmer weather as opposed to the Colorado winters I could never get used to.

I don't know much about job prospects. I've been working retail part-time while working on portfolio work.

I know I'll never want to pay sales taxes again.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Larriva Art For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you fools.. your supposed to be moving to San Fransisco or at least something in California

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aaro_n View Post
    Portland was way nicer when I visited both cities 2 years ago. The people in Portland won't let big businesses tear down the Victorian architecture, so its a pretty classy place. There were a lot of outdoor cafes..Seattle felt too glass and cement like other large cities.
    Obviously everyone will have different experiences...but I couldn't disagree more. I mean, if you are talking 5th and Pike, then yeah. But there's a lot more to the city than that. Downtown isn't the entire city, you know? There's plenty of history, old buildings, and class in Seattle. I challenge you to wander through Pioneer Square, Queen Anne, and Capital Hill and call it "glass and cement".

For a downtown, though? I've honestly not been in a cleaner commercial district in other similar sized cities. Haha, go to downtown LA, for example. The difference is astounding.

That said....there is some merit to some of it. There are definitely a lot of condo companies that are buying up businesses that are dying because of the economy and it's a little sad to see a once nice mom 'n pop cafe turn into a Wallgreens with upstairs condos.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys are making me want to get out of Brazil. Though I can't stand the rain really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does Seattle have a Wonder Woman Day? I think not.

**In all seriousness; although, I was being sorta serious about Wonder Woman Day (c'mon - it's Wonder Woman) - in downtown Portland is the Classical Chinese Garden. http://www.portlandchinesegarden.org/ (go to the "History and Culture" page - very interesting stuff). There's also the Japanese Garden: http://www.japanesegarden.com/

Portland Parks & Recreation also hold FREE summer concerts and movies in neighborhood parks. They started doing this after I had moved from Portland, too (grrrrrr).

Last edited by smugbug; November 18th, 2009 at 10:10 PM.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to smugbug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    There's plenty of history, old buildings, and class in Seattle. I challenge you to wander through Pioneer Square, Queen Anne, and Capital Hill and call it "glass and cement".
    Pioneer Square abuts a lot of art galleries and shops, but a lot of bums hang out there because of "mission" type facilites in the area. Queen Anne is the place for you if you want to buy a turn of the (last) century house to refurbish-- maybe rub elbows with some of the city's elite. Capital Hill is super dooper fabulously gay.

Beacon Hill, 1st Hill, White Center: you're looking at higher crime areas.

Ballard's nice, but it's kind of out of the way from the core of the city.

Fremont: People here ride bicycles, naked, past a statue of Lenin to celebrate the Solstice. . .

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't forgot that in Oregon you don't have to get out of your car to buy gas. Someone pumps it for you. I really miss that... (I am originally from Pendleton, Eastern Oregon)

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Shehaub For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1