Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey guys, nice to see so many good sketches. Here's my initial idea. I'm currently struggling with anatomy, any advice on that front would be really appreciated.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    ^^ I think her head just looks a bit small. Thats all I notice right now
    Kitty's Drawings - My blog!

I have a Sketchbook now ---> SKETCHY!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kittymeow84 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Cl0aked: This may sound like a bit of a letdown but: Get an anatomybook (Bridgeman, Loomis, Vilppu etc.) or reference photo's. This is a characterdesign weekly, not an anatomy class. No offense btw.

My piece is driving me absolutely bonkers.. The head on that angle is very hard to get right and I've been shaving on the body with the rotation and all for ages to get that to look like it actually does and I still think it sucks. Oh well.. At least we have a bit of face now. You make it look so easy Posh, but damn...

edit: f**!!k, I'm already seeing a ton of crappy mistake things again, meh
    Last edited by Pixeltuner; November 17th, 2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: raaaaaaaaahrghhhh
    Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    I like what you’re doing here, the forced perspective adds drama, but can I ask why you’ve tilted the camera? Right now it looks like they are on a ship being tossed around a bit. As for your concerns about the back leg, both of them look to be on the same plane, so although the perspective is forced on the background it’s not so on her back leg. Edit: Just saw your update... I take it they are on an airship?
    Thanks heaps I tilted the camera to try make the shot look like it's from the person whose arm she's grabbing's point of view. I was trying to see my arm in perspective when yanked forward and I noticed the horizon was tilted so I threw it in
    And yeah! They're meant to be on an airship, but the feeling doesn't really come across just from the clouds... hrm. Might need to totally redo the background :/

I realised that you'd see more more of the ground from that angle, so I extended the canvas and also moved the right leg back a bit.

Also! The Loreena McKennitt music from the Theme Music round is great for this xD

Thanks
    Here's what I got so far. That pose changed like a million times. Her face is too big and manly so that's gotta change. Done for today, need to walk away from it for the night and then finish up shading tomorrow and get to color hopefully.
    www.matttorres.com (a work in progress)

Sketchbook de la NimbusNacho

Alfred University '08
    Painting, Digital Print, Ceramics

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 401 Posts
    K, as promised, some CC...not that it would provide any useable information, though...

crimson_shape - Not much to say ATM, but keep pushing it. I do, however, like the "stance" of her torso. And maybe you could shorten her neck a bit? Proud and smexy! And just for the future reference - I hate feet. There. I said it.

Mr. Posh - Now, this "quicke" of yours sir is a major "b***slap" to all of us. I really do hope you`ll finish it! PLEASE, finish it!

zephyri - You make me go I love it, but as said, pay good attention to steampunk elements. You`re nailing it, allright! Tip (sort of) - black, subtle eyeliner? To draw focus on his eyes? I mean, if Johnny Depp could pull it off...

Lakka - More values, please. And steampunk accessories. M`kay?

majortom - color...needs more color IMO, particularly the skin (though, I should be talking...pfft)

vineris - Oriental is there, now steampunk it! Woot!

Reymus - Like it! 1001 night meets ghost in the shell. As for the hands (I like the idea of multiple limbs), google for references. Also, dArt has some great stock photographers, so try your luck there as well

Jason Snair - Damn it, I knew someone would think of something I couldn`t! A kitty...baah! Next time, next time!!! *shakes fist*

kittymeow84 - someone reffering to me as a "great mind"? That`s a first! Do take a look at the DA stock link Zephyri posted here, it will help you out with proportions for that pose

fluorine - Agreed, a great drawing, and agreed - needs to look less royal and more "slave"-ish. Should be simple - strip him and give him some accessories (like...how do you call it...wrist shackles? Maybe with some chains? And as lovely as it is, maybe you should remove the falcon (or at least put him somewhere in the background), to reduce the illusion of strength of the character. Sword? That`s a no-no. I wouldn`t let my slaves have swords. Would you? )

Arthemis IX - ......

odiolitos - Yup, you should "steampunk" and "harem" it. Mr. Posh () posted some links on orientalism, and if you check out page 2/3 you`ll find some references for steampunk as well.

navate - So far, so good, but her head is a taaaaaad big ATM.

rumpenstiltzkin - Welcome, and - nice start! Just remember the 3/4 rule (at least 3/4 of the characters should be visible), and you`re all set to go!

Ok, hope I helped out (really can`t CC on anatomy, since...you know...). I also decided to start all over again, realizing that a pose I did would require a lot of work (and this week I`m SO crammed with classes and homework...wah!), so I took it down a notch. Still shows the whole character, I can pay more attention to her outfit AND will not have to spend a lot of time on the background. All parts (both anatomy and design) will be changed because...I`m like that. Yea.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    No comments from me at the moment... just about to go to bed but I'll check things out tomorrow at lunch. Thought I'd post a quick update though. I want the steampunk in this to be subtle, but not utterly unnoticeable - the collar is an idea of the kinda thing I have in mind. Temptation to give him goggles is growing tho...

Attachment 832299

Thanks
    Thanks Pxlslayer! references noted. So busy tonight though and got a tattoo design I need finished by Friday. Hope I can finish something this weekend!
    Kitty's Drawings - My blog!

I have a Sketchbook now ---> SKETCHY!!

Thanks
    rumpenstilzkin: great poses and outfit design; I’m looking forward to seeing it further along. I like the extra arms idea; it’s a bit Hindu goddess-like.

cl0aked: nice pose; I agree with kittymeow84 about the head.

Pixelturner: I am loving those skin tones! There is something off with her shoulder/neck area. The shoulder need to be broader, I think. And her ankles look a wee too thick at the moment.

Grimwood: I’m loving the perspective and the whole scene. Will there be anymore speakpunk elements? Right now it seems like an Oriental setting, just in the air.

nimbusnacho: Looking good! Her left arm/hand (our right) looks too large, or perhaps foreshortened incorrectly? Doesn’t seem to connect with her upper arm properly.

Zephyri: Heeey! I love the colors; great skin tones especially. Something about his knee/thigh is really bugging me though… it doesn’t look connect correctly or something.

Matt_B: Thanks! I work kinda backwards (shapes instead of lines—bad, I know! I need to pencil-sketch more). Generally my drafts look horrendous but once I refine things a bit it comes together. So that said, here’s an update… anatomy looking much better. I still need to think about the outfit details and background.

Pxelslayer: haha, yeah I noticed! I shrank it down a bit. And I’m loving the direction you are going; I think you’re striking the harem/steampunk balance really well right now (must be those spats, hahaha).

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to navate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    got the basic composition, characters blocked out, and background completed..
    this is my first time participating in any of these ca activities....hi
    theyre going to have fat headdresses too which will take up more compositional space in the top part of the painting....cant wait to work on those!

Thanks
    Fluorine: I hate to say it, but maybe you should let go of the falcon, I don't think harem boys own luxuries like that. (I love the idea of the falcon, though.) And like others pointed out, the weapon is a no-no.
    I'd also like to suggest that you change his pose a little, this one has a bit too much attitude and self-esteem. Maybe you could change his pose into a more submissive and/or seductive one.

Grimwood: I like the airship idea, though maybe you made it yourself a bit more difficult by letting it tilt to the left, so the windows will show air instead of the ground down below. Maybe it's an idea to move the windows to the other side, or have windows on both sides of the airship?
    The harem girl: I like the outfit, and you can immediately tell she belongs to a harem. But a point of criticism is that her outfit doesn't feel that steampunky yet.
    As for anatomy: Her upper arm seems a bit too thin, and the foot at the front could be bigger maybe. But her pose and the perspective of it all seems fine otherwise.

Navate: I can tell that this is going to be beautiful. I like the colors you used for this one. The only thing I'd like to point out is that her head is a bit too big compared to the rest of her body.

Pxelslayer: I absolutely love your new sketch. She's beautiful! I hope I don't come across as rude when I say that I prefer this one over the old one, and that I'm kinda happy you re-did it for that reason. I also can't wait to see it colored. Other than that, I see nothing wrong with it, so no feedback from me, sorry!
    Last edited by Armonah; November 17th, 2009 at 09:15 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armonah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i got a sketch done yay
    time to get some colour down

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    i have no clue whether i'll be able to finish this week (since i'm also trying my hands at cow),but i just had to sketch up something,atleast.
    Last edited by Carnifex; November 17th, 2009 at 09:31 PM.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks

Icon

thanks navate and PxelSlayer and thanks for the reminder about the 3/4 :p

im gonna go with this pose now will fix balance tomorrow, just noticed that she didnt have much of it x) and a friend poked me bout her breasts not looking as they should so im gonna fix that too...any other crits is more than welcome!

but sleep now!

ps, i love how its coming along navate

Thanks
    Navate - It's personal preference, but I think it'd look stronger if she had her eyes open, since it's a frontal view, making exotic eyes (like that Afghan girl) for it would make her face pop.Her right shoulder seems off somehow, a bit wide maybe. I love your colors .

Though I'm not very good with color, I started on some. Moved her foot, hands still look wrong. Any feedback is delicious.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast