Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Addressing the crits I've got so far:
    Attachment 832870
    Keep the crits coming. I appreciate it.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    H4WK: Great sketches! My only critic would be, aren't they looking a little bit too ocidental?

Thanks
    i want to participate in this one, but i cant seem to get past the gathering reference material/inspiration stage...

Thanks
    @Armonah: Argh, still? I shrunk it down a but more… hopefully good now?

@Reymus: Thanks! I am undecided about her eyes… I am trying to channel that demure sensuality in the old Orientalist paintings; when I paint her eyes open she looks a little too “come hither”. I changed her top so that her shoulders are covered, but I still need to restructure them. Thanks!

@Tommoy: hahaha, it’s going to be a fan! I’ve fiddled with the outfit; hopefully the steam/harem balance is better now…

I’ve fleshed out the composition and reworked her outfit… am really struggling to hit the right note between steampunk and harem. I added sleeves to her blouse to make it more Victorian, hoping the exposed midriff and turban would still be harem-y but it made her look too much like a fashionable society lady. So I have gone the “good heavens!” route and indecently exposed her legs.

Need to find refs for the background, argh. Architecture is not my strong point.

Will post crits in a moment...

Thanks
    Saleem: good sketch! I love how you’re combining the two elements. Great concept.
    Carnifex: I am a little confused about where she is in the building.. I am assuming some kind of balcony but the walls aren’t reading well. Love the colors though. Just watch your tones so that she doesn’t get lost in the foerground.
    Rumpenstiltzkin: I like the pose! Her breasts still look too high on her torso, and the arm are too thin (especially the forearms). Her foot seems too small as well. Looking good!
    Reymus: I like the colors so far. Try punching up the shadows a bit, maybe? I am not sure about her foot… perhaps if you painted in some kind of surface for her to stand on, it would be easier to tell if she was “grounded” properly. The left hand (our right) look fine but the other one is too long in the palm.
    Monkia Gruszka: Good start!
    Shogo: Hahaha that is epic! I like the chains. You going to add color or keep it b&w?
    Grimwood: Looking good! I think her upper arm is too slim, even with the foreshortening.
    Zilrion: Ooh, I like the colors! It’s coming along very nicely.
    Fersteger: I love your comp and colors. Looking forward to seeing it progress!
    Mongreldesigns: Good start! Not much to say yet; I like where it’s going.
    Jessi Beam: Sweet! Only crit can think of is that it’s a bit dark overall, but that might change once you render more of it.
    Matt_B: Lovely colors! The face looks good but the cut of the veil bothers me because it’s so parallel to her jaw. Maybe bring the hem down a bit?
    Thespirals: Wow, awesome designs! I want to see some color on those. I think you could steampunk it up a little more though; the gear details sort of fade into the ornamentation.
    Oddy: hahaha, I like it! It’s coming along very nicely and I think you interpreted the prompt fine.
    MasterPete: I think you’re harem/steampunk combo is fine! Nothing to crit atm really.
    Random Stranger: Hmm, maybe give him a headdress or turban and some jewelry? I like the cage idea.
    Clockwork Bunny: I like the girl design but agree that the second bg is too busy. I think if you got rid of the detailed wall on the left and brought the gear the rest of the way across the canvas it would open it up much more
    Decaying Lolita: I like it but it needs more harem!
    Gerezon: hahaha, this is awesome.
    Tommoy: Loving the colors and atmosphere in yours. Her torso is looking fine but yeah, you might need ssome ref for the legs… tricky position.
    Vineris: her bottom half looks great but her arms are too thin
    Mitze: Yeah, I think her legs are too long and I think her forearms are a bit too short.
    Shehaub: good start!
    Dwinbotp: ooh, I like the pose. Looks good.
    Odiolitos: Try victorianizing her outfit bit… lace, pleats, etc. Maybe try using brown leather for the fabric. Look up period clothing for references.
    MJ Alcazar: I like where this is going! Nice balance of the topic.
    H4WK: Love the headdress ideas! Looking forward to see a full sketch from you.

Sorry if I missed anyone.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to navate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Clockwork Bunny: I would go for the first background. The second one's indeed a bit too crowded, and distracts from the main subject.

Reymus: I think I get what seems 'off' about the picture, but it's not the hands (although the palm of her right hand (our left) is a bit longer than it should be), but the elbows: They follow a different direction than the rest of the body does, so to speak.
    Last edited by Armonah; November 18th, 2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: I spelled Reymus's name wrong. -_-

Thanks
    Alright so I wasn't going to do this one because I don't have a lot of time. But I just couldn't resist (as if there aren't already enough participants), I just hope I don't have to drop out. Here it is so far, I don't know if it feels steam punk enough...hopefully blocking in the color will help.

Attachment 832924

Clockwork Bunny:I love the character, headdress, dreads, spot on. But be careful not to let the background hide the great work you've done so far. Also put some more space in front of her face, I'm following her eyes right off the page (or you could change her eye line).

PixelTuner:I always have a hard time with that angle of the face too. Get some reference that always helps. Still I'm glad you're turning the face. If you can see her eye you should be able to see most of the nose too. Don't be afraid to give her a big ugly nose and then scale it back in until it looks right. Well what do I know, you're great just keep at it I'm sure you'll make another great one.

Tommy:I like the knees.I had to use leg reference, feet are so hard.

Matt_B:Just waiting to see more definition.

CKLamb:It's not a mess, just unfinished. It already has a strong steam punk feel (could use more harem elements). Maybe try some poofy pants, it gives an oriental feel and takes care of the legs.

Crimson_Shape:Good so far. I like the pose. But are we in a tent, in a building, what?

majortom:It doesn't feel steam punk just harem.

DIMAGYAN:This reminds me of a degas ballet picture. Great feel. I think the girl on the far right would be a good one to work from.

zephyri:For being unfinished this is way to perfect. Go with the goggles, it's steam punk high fashion!

Uziel:Good composition but right now the main focus is the guy appreciating the harem rather than one of the slaves.

Grimwood: Perspective, you're a brave man. Well for the most part looking good, the main thing I see is that her head is disjointed from her body. I think when you put the collar in you extended her neck. So either you can move her head back down or you can push it and extend her head with gears and springs in her neck.

deadhead16mb:That top image is great. Odalisque to the max. Maybe give her just a couple pieces of jewelery one for the harem feel and one for steam punk.

Shogo:I like the fan design, waiting to see your colors.

Irrlaeufer:Not much to comment yet, waiting to see steam punk.

Zilrion:Good so far. I'm not getting Harem in this very much.

LaurenR:She feels very tribal. That could be a good angle for the character just make sure to have a strong harem feel in the setting.

fluorine:Yeah he't too princely. Try fiddling with the posture. Hunched shoulders, sullen face. Maybe have the hawk on his back rather than on the arm.

Lakka:She feel more like a pirate. As for breasts, push the shadow beneath them a bit more, and take in the far edge of the fabric.

lkjhgfdsa: Yeah, she's feeling like an airship captain. Try seethrough fabric or maybe some patterned fabrics.

Sorknes:The clocks (?) are getting lost in the lovely belly dancing stuff. In short needs more steam punk.

PxelSlayer:Spicy. I like it. The position of the rear hand seems weird, maybe just remove it altogether.

Poshspice: Perfect blend of steam and harem. She seems detached from the bed. I think the angle of her near leg suggests that the edge of the bed should be right next to her bent leg.

vineris : I like the hoop idea. Please tell me it's going to be some kind o delicate gear.

Reymus:Cool extra arms. Plus I like the little bug. The overall pose works bu her feet feel a little wobbly, maybe it's just that there's no ground yet.

Jason Snair: I'm reminded of Disney's Alladin, in a good way mind you. Waiting to see more.

kittymeow84 : The top one is the best. The issue is that her bottom leg keeps vanishing into the bed/ground. The way I think you could fix this is to make sure that her crotch is in line with the belly button, this should help give the bottom hip for the bottom leg to attach to.

Arthemis IX: WOW! Really wow. Anyway the only issue I see on the is that her hand can't support her weight. Try pushing it down and in toward her body this will make her "sit up" a bit more too.

odiolitos: Good start. I used gears in mine for steam-punk-ness. Also in a lot of the paintings there's water, maybe a steam heated bath?

navate:I like the verandah feel. I don;t feel the steam punk yet but I susspect that will come out in the details.

rumpenstiltzkin:I like the extra arms, Hindi, thing going on. He foot seems awfully small. Also the bent leg seems a tad short.

cl0aked:Not much to comment, I'll keep waiting.

nimbusnacho:The forward hand is big and manly too, it's good just scale it down. Looking forward to more.

thespirals:Great so far. On the clock maybe consider using Arabic numerals.

Saleem:Very steam punky but the drapes don't feel like enough to say Harem instead of brothel, pillows, rugs, hookah, I want to see props. For that matter you could giver slippers or some kind of veil.

Carnifex:Good thumb, the persective seems odd but it's tough to tell at this stage.

Monika Gruszka: I love the eye and the drapes (I think we're in a tent but I'm not sure). It needs carpets.

fersteger:Can't really tell what's going on yet bu the colors seem good. Hope you get more done.

mongreldesigns :I like the hooka, but it doesn't feel harem like yet.

JessiBean : As if your work needs any help! Well... I suppose the bottom leg seems to vanish and the bed seems short.

oddy:I love the Guy. The tambourine gets a little lost in the background, more contrast to pop it out. I'm looking forward to seeing the clothing.

MasterPete: God so far, just tighten it up, and keep pushing it.

Random Stranger: I like the cage, and cheers for going with a male. It doesn't feel harem enough. Maybe add some drapes or some architecture.

DecayingLolita:Nice pose, and it feels very steam-punky. Aside from the chins it doesn't have the feel of the orient yet. More colors.background. I don't know.

gerezon:Wow, the bed is awesome! It does feel a little IDW, just remember to keep the focus on the character in the long run.(I'm focusing on the background a bit much I think)

Mitze: Yeah the forearm is a bit off, or maybe it's the upper arm that's too short. Still overall good feel, looking forward to you filling in the steam punk bits.

Shehaub: So far so good, I don't feel the Oriental vibe yet but bits of steam punk are showung up (i.e. boots and hat)

dwinbotp:Nice Pose, I take it she's dipping her foot in water.

MJ_Alcazar: Col another male.His back leg feels a little detached at the hip. But nothing big, keep going.

Ugh...all done with comments. Man there are a lot of people.

10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to reversenorm For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Armonah and Navate, thanks for the feedback .

Shifted her arms a bit, the palm, and a base, and hopefully the suit is clearer on where the arms originate from.

Reversenorm - Before you go farther, check the anatomy a bit, her hips are wide, which is fine, but her upper torso is disproportionate to them, along with the arms which are thicker than they should be. Great background though.

Navate - What if you made her not look directly at us, but to the side, eyes lidded (mystery,lust, etc).Again, it's probably just me, but I get the feeling she's nodding off on a balcony.

MattB - It might just be the cloth but the left leg (behind) looks more bent than it should be? From the ankle it's bent at a slight angle but then the calf dips forward. If she's standing like that I think the ball of her foot would be raised off the ground.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    reversenorm - Thanks for the crit! As reymus suggested for yours you need to go back and get the proportions right. Chest structure, breasts, hand size, shoulder, feet orientation and structure. Gotta nail those down first.

Reymus - Thanks. For yours the suggestion made about changing the orientation of the arms is a valid one. Although at the moment I think the arms are a bit long and the hands are a bit small. Something about how you've got the head and face oriented doesn't look like it's working. The nose seems to go at a different angle and overall looks flat. The forehead seems small if those are dreadlocks. Also something about the feet still doesn't look right.
    Last edited by Matt_B; November 18th, 2009 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks
    Decided to back track a bit and really try to clean up and finish the linework on the bed/vehicle. Its taken me aages, but i've never really tried this approach, since I mostly get bored and want to jump into painting, but i think im learning alot.

So here is the shazaam wagon (name not final ) complete with adjustable seatback. A notable feature is that the "feet" even has a small broom like brush that cleans up the palace when its walking about.

Next up, the slave.

Thanks
    it just keeps coming awesome stuff from you people

heres another update from me, and thanks very much for the crits and tips, im working on it, gonna fix her arms so they dont look to thin.

i wanted to try give her a bit more flow and movement since shes not suppose to be doing yoga, but be in a dance...

hope its better now

Thanks
    Redrew it, was a real pain, but it came out a lot better I think. I'll write up some crits tommorow, exhausted, haha.

Feedback appreciated

Thanks
    Chow 180:: The STEAMPUNK HAREM

I wish I didn't have some kinda serious brain fail when it comes to backgrounds

Also the back arm is driving me crazynuts.. does it need to be shorter, longer, more shaded... nyways eyes are hurting bad.

Random stranger: His head looks a little as though it's sunk into his neck, the rest of the pose seems ok.

Thanks
    reversenorm - Thanks for the crit. I think I still need to work on the oriental feel.

A bit of an update. I don't know what I am going to do with her feet/shoes. I think I am going to lose the thing on her hat. Its just not reading right now that I look at it scanned in. Still a lot of things to work out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DecayingLolita View Post

I wish I didn't have some kinda serious brain fail when it comes to backgrounds

Also the back arm is driving me crazynuts.. does it need to be shorter, longer, more shaded... nyways eyes are hurting bad.
    I'd say the problem is the back shoulder is too high, so the whole arm looks a bit funny. My trick w/ forearms is: the distance from elbow to the base of the fingers equals the one form the shoulder to the elbow. Hope it helps...

Oh, and i just forgot to mention: the rest of the drawing just rocks my world. Keep it up!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to odiolitos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DecayingLolita View Post

DecayingLolita There are 2 main problems that I see. The back arm is a little too thin compared to the front one, even taking perspective into account. And the arm looks like it is coming from her rib cage, not her shoulder. With a straight arm like that, it needs to be higher, from the shoulder. Or if you want the arm bent, the the elbow portion, would be much closer to the body, but I think this is supposed to be a straight arm.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to a.k.a.Brady For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 401 Posts
    K, this is what I got so far...5% of the image done.Facial features, patterns, details, background, lightning will be changed about 100 times before I finish it. Oh joy!...Have to sleep it off, and look at it with a fresh pair of eyes...

Night everyone!

Thanks
    ^^ Looking good. Like those brushes you've used in the pillows. Are they custom or downloaded? Or is that some sore of pattern underlay?
    I love the silk effect too
    Kitty's Drawings - My blog!

I have a Sketchbook now ---> SKETCHY!!

Thanks
    Decaying_Lolita:

Wow, a.k.a.Brady and i told you the exact opposite thing Just to make sure we get it right, I've drawn a diagram of the way I think it should be, with her arm lifted and away from the body. Hope you don't mind me messing with your stuff, and bear in mind that my own anatomy tends to be funny to say the least. anyway, here's my 0.02:

Thanks
    So... I heard the crits, and turned the top to leather w/ a couple straps. Also worked a bit on better lighting, and tried to balance the colours before plunging into proper rendering. Some bits still look funny to me, but maybe I'm just tired...

Oh, and sorry if I'm a bit scarce on crits... I still gotta get a hang on how you guys do this, and quite frankly, there's times when I don't feel like I can say much But hey, I'll do my best.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 282 Posts
    trying to change the look to less-skycaptainish
    still changes to make fer sure...
    The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    odiolitos: her right forearm seems a bit thin and it's also kinda strange how it almost completely reverses for her wrist. Also, just my two cents but I reckon the colour combination clashes a little, especially between the blue top and the orange hair. If you change either one of those, it'd probably be a bit easier on the eye.

Thanks for your help everyone! I've started smoothing over the background a bit, fixed a few proportional errors and gave her a new lower face and hairstyle. No idea what to do with her left arm, from that perspective you probably wouldn't actually see much of it :/

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimwood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    steampunk bellydancing!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg7ZHwrJPG8

laurenR: i LOVE the headpiece....i have a thing for headpieces ;P her torso seems a bit long tho and she looks kind of malnourished in the middle

in reguards to my crits about making my characters look more steampunk....im thinking maybe some lace in there, some ruffles....i tried to put as many gears as i could think of where circles would go well....and some stones to balance it out....those spikes coming out of the first charatcer's headpiece are supposed to look like old fashioned clock hands.....what else....i could put pocket watches and chains
    i was going to put a mini top hat on the second figure but the shape of it didnt go well with the shapes of everything else....it seems to clash
    Last edited by thespirals; November 18th, 2009 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks
    seriously guys...awesome Chow theme, and a lot of wicked images thus far ^^

Im kinda afraid mine isn't to steampunky yet...but it'll get there...

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Metso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Metso - i love your sketch!

i'm afraid my piece is almost too much steampunky:/ But face is done and i have soooo many ideas that i seriously dont know what to draw

Thanks
    Anatomy check. I want to make sure she's functional before I go into add the details in the feet or go into the brave new world of color. Also playing with the light and depth (thanks for the Help, more comments to come later).
    Attachment 833184

Thanks
    Wow, so many cool designs. Every new character I'm also astounded by how many interesting pieces there are. Gonna go look through the whole thread. Still working on mine, using a different approach, I hope to finish!
    Last edited by fersteger; November 19th, 2009 at 03:51 AM.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fersteger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    got a bit further, have to get to uni now
    Thanks for the comments guys, I shall return thy favour!

Thanks
    Reversenorm: I truly like the pose, the barometer on the water pipe, your use of gears, and just how clean everything looks... Just one small gripe: aren't the shoulders a tad too narrow?

Thanks
    Getting there... Solved a couple problems with the arms, and now the face doesn't look that flat. Oh, and I'm totally going for the bath background: it just doesn't show yet

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast