Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    I'm totally in, if I can stop browsing all the magnificent orientalist paintings, that is, I totally love them...

Digital Blacksmith, in the weekly challenges, the people doing the challenges (in this case Daestwen and Poshspice) are your Art Directors. They are your "clients" so to say, or your "boss", depending on what you prefer. These weeklies are not just for playing around and showing skills, it's also for learning how to deal with briefs. If your boss or client want an orientalist inspired harem girl in steampunk, Japan is not the first thing to come to mind, is it? Browse the images that the clients/bosses have been kind enough to link and get working on it. And good luck! And the images are truly beautiful and very inspiriing
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If I'm reading this correctly you cannot use anything outside of an eastern Indian or Oriental influence.

Thanks
    If we had to list everything it CAN'T be...we would never get a brief.

Anyways, I got dibs on the greek slave reference!

And I do realize that the breasts shouldn't be exposed in the final.

Attachment 831176
    Last edited by {CKL}; November 16th, 2009 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks
    sounds interesting. i hope to be able to do something... and finish it

Thanks
    I have to admit I've been half tempted to add China Mièvilles ideas for this with half the body ending up as a steam machine for it...

It might just end up as a harem girl with leather, clocks and metal. rofl.

*goes to brainstorm some more*
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    CKLamb: Persia and India are good to go. India might be a bit further than what we mean, but it's on the silk road and had a lot of influence on arabian / persian /ottoman culture so I think that's fine.

Digital Blacksmith: Last I checked Japan didn't have sultans. Stick to the brief. You can draw whatever you want but you better not bitch if I pull it from poll. If you feel it's beneath you to stick to the theme then you aren't forced to participate.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 771 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CKLamb View Post
    If we had to list everything it CAN'T be...we would never get a brief.

]
    THAT.

So Digital Blacksmith don't go all whiny about exploring creative and artistic depths and you telling clients to go f**k themselves, because you won't have many left in the end.
    Your last piece wasn't exactly made significantly better due to the fact it had a non human character, and changing from Middle-Eastern to Japanese won't do it either.
    Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Blacksmith View Post
    All im saying, is just say what you want. Do you want only humans? Say so. Do you only want one or two races? Dont try and word around it, be blunt. I have had many clients who say a short brief on what they want, and when I do what i think they said they want, they turn around and try to tell me something different. I tell them to go screw themselves, and that I dont have time to work on something that not even you think you want.

And on another note, this is conceptart.org. I was led to believe that this site was about exploring your artistic abilities, tapping into the depths of your mind, taking the boring and making it awesome, and even advancing in your own skills, not just reading a quick and vague brief and doing that exact thing quickly.
    Let's get that head out of your ass yeah?

Thanks
    websearch - orientalism and images and got this
    http://shareme.com/images/large/Vict...rabia-2570.jpg

Chow is a platform for exploring your skills and artistic visions whilst following a brief, doing some research is part of the process. I have learnt this the hard way loosing a commission for wondering off target, broke my confidence and I changed career - I wish I'd stuck with it

As for arguing the toss its daft as Poshspice and daestwen have the final say as they set the brief.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    @ Daestwen - Not to be rude or arrogent, but once again, you never mentioned any specific races or cultures that can or cannot be used. How are we supposed to know what exactly to use when your vague about it. I mean last week I made a piece, but it wasnt human enough. This week, I try Japanese influence, but thats a culture not allowed, but yet nothing about using either isnt said. I will go with something else, maybe merging Persian and Egyptian, but please, its confusing when we dont know what we can or cannot use.
    Lets keep it civil lovely people.

In the brief are some links to Orientalist art, which is a very specific art movement. These are your inspiration. If Japanese art was the source we would specify it. There is plenty of other Orientalist Art on the internet, essentially Middle Eastern. Type it into Google. Think Alma-Tadema, early Waterhouse, Richard Dadd, Lord Leighton, Tissot, Dulac etc. They were heavily influenced by the Harem idea, but a Victorian fantasy idea of what it was, and most definitely depicted in much of the art of the time. What we want is a blending of it with Steampunk, which is a very Western inspired theme, particularly Victorian technology. Think of it as West meets East over 100 years ago. You can play with ideas a bit, for example a lot of Steampunk pushes the timing a bit into the 20th century and features elements of Art Nouveau. It's up to you, but, if you are in doubt about anything at all, ask. Don't assume. If this was for a client, you wouldn't dream of assuming a setting, time, aesthetic etc. without checking first.

I know sometimes it's fun to shoehorn what you WANT to do into the weeks theme, and this can sometimes work (hell we all do it!). However, this week Steampunk and Orientalism are actually quite specific. The influence of Japanese art on the west is known as Japonism. Somewhat archaic terms these days, but once quite specific. But there is room for enormous fun 'designing' within these parameters.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    cool subject ^_^ but damn itll be alot of work cuz im with my little brother on the same room and my harem girls is a girl with semi transperant arabian shirt of some sort so i cant work on it when hes around (boobs and stuff ~_~) so ill work on it when ill have the time ....

ask. Don't assume. If this was for a client, you wouldn't dream of assuming a setting, time, aesthetic etc. without checking first.
    hmm....a good idea....can i make a semi steampunk girl (semi robotic steampunk)? cuz im planing on doing it but just with all sorts of those clock parts and steam of some sort to hint that shes part machine and part human
    loool if this was a client im assuming id check everything from the minute of the hour of the day up untill the tinyes of details so i could make it as accurate to his vision as possible

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acb View Post
    hmm....a good idea....can i make a semi steampunk girl (semi robotic steampunk)? cuz im planing on doing it but just with all sorts of those clock parts and steam of some sort to hint that shes part machine and part human
    loool if this was a client im assuming id check everything from the minute of the hour of the day up untill the tinyes of details so i could make it as accurate to his vision as possible
    Steampunk often incorporates limbs or body parts that are machine based, almost like an exo-skeleton, so that's fine but no complete robots. Just remember the characters are harem slaves, so they would unlikely be equipped with anything perceived as weaponry or granting them power.

Thanks
    a small update
    its not looking very steam punk yet, the plates on the costume are attachments which stimulate sensitive areas - theyre meant to be at least! hopefully will turn out ok in the rendering.

comments pls!
    Last edited by Clockwork Bunny; November 16th, 2009 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks
    clockwork_bunny: looks good so far, very oriental!

here's a quick sketch, dont know if im going to take it for the final version. Is it okay if I paint the background with the sultan more abstractly?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to crimson_shape For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ooh sounds interesting. Hope I have time to do some research and work on this one.

All im saying, is just say what you want. Do you want only humans? Say so. Do you only want one or two races? Dont try and word around it, be blunt. I have had many clients who say a short brief on what they want, and when I do what i think they said they want, they turn around and try to tell me something different. I tell them to go screw themselves, and that I dont have time to work on something that not even you think you want.

And on another note, this is conceptart.org. I was led to believe that this site was about exploring your artistic abilities, tapping into the depths of your mind, taking the boring and making it awesome, and even advancing in your own skills, not just reading a quick and vague brief and doing that exact thing quickly.
    Dude, can the attitude. The brief is not that vague in this case. Do about 30 seconds of research and you'll get the idea. When there is a vague brief here they do usually give us more leeway with our interpretations. In fact, their briefs are often great here because they use visual language.

This is a freaking huge site. There are places where you post whatever you want to do and there are challenges like this that allow you to explore within boundaries. If you don't like the boundaries just post whatever you want...in the proper place .

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast