Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thank God the weekend's here! Or I would have to leave this as is. My progress so far.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Wijaha Hey, welcome to chow. I saw your post in the finals thread and I thought I would just give you a bit of a warning. I don't really consider your image finished... the colour overlaps past the edges and it's still very messy. If you want to get into poll I would use the weekend that you still have left to get some real work in on it. Otherwise I'm probably going to cut it.

Thanks
    Whew, going to have to rest my eyes. Everything is looking wrong right now. I may have to go back and redo most of this.

Thanks
    Backgrounds really not my thing

don't want to spoil it by having a crappy back ground but dont want to short change it by having a plain one...

any help/advice gratefully recieved.

Have trimmed the image so that the detail on the head dress isn't lost too..
    Last edited by Clockwork Bunny; November 20th, 2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: playing with values - trynig to give it depth...

Thanks
    MJ_Alcazar - I like the design. Might want to flip the canvas to get a fresh look at it from time to time. There are definitely some issues with the torse, hands, and face.

dwinbotp - Nice rendering on the face and I like the colors. not so sure about the size and shape of the legs and there's sort of an M.C Escher effect going on with how the far arm and the near leg are touching.

Clockwork Bunny - Overall it's looking a bit flat. It's a contemplative pose so the value/color might need to reflect that more

Kristo Novo - Chick looks PISSED! A welcome change in mood from everyone else's piece. Nice start

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt_B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Fersteger: your colours are some of the most enchanting I've seen in an artist's work, I'd love to know how you studied that particular aspect of the basics.

Deadhead: she's looking beautiful... love the fact you're doing this in oils... makes me envious! I think the arm does look a little short, or the head a little big, but it might be something you can digitally post-process... or something that may work itself out with rounding out the forms.

Pxlslayer: looking good too... watch the values on the cushion fabrics... they're looking almost luminous... save the absolute brightest highlights for the very end to really make those threads shine!

Monika Gruska: gorgeous face, and the wanton sexuality she has now upto previous versions is lovely. Keep going with it!

Navate Lauren! Awesome to see you here too! I love your more unique take on the traditional harem look.. there's a really lovely blend of the two cultures. Her feet don't really seem grounded at the minute.. which is making her pose seem a bit feather light... I'd have expected more of a curve to her upper body, but i don't think it's bad per se. I did a quickie paintover, i hope you don't mind, just a couple of suggestions for legs and perhaps a more unified lighting to her body and face.

Attachment 834447

Matt B: looking really nice! Her forward ankle looks a touch on the thin side, to say there's a gold anklet around it too.. might want to thicken that out a little but i really like the light you have going on.

Rambozo.: interesting ideas going on there. I personally like the simplicity in the composition of the one of her leaning against the wall, but that migh be because it recalls to mind paintings by frazetta and brom! The smoke dancer is a second choice, but my god the anatomy on that will have to be pretty spot on for everything to read right!

Jessi: looks lovely! I especially like the character in her face, it's a little bit different for your females. And the environment looks awesome so far, can't wait to see that fully realised.

rumpenstiltskin: The shadows around her boobs are looking very harsh, you probably wouldn't see quite so much black round there, it mgiht be nicer to blend it into the side of the body and the centre of the breast a little more gently. Not quite as dramtic lighting as you have but you can see kind of what I mean here: http://ladydove7-stock.deviantart.co...r-26-108108805

Artofinca: I like 3 and 4 best... 4 has an interesting gait about her, and the viewpoint is a little different.

Dwinbotp: she looks great so far... her hip/thigh area seems quite large up to say the size of her head, but I'm not necessarily against the large hipped ladies! Like the sort of pinup feel she has. Also.. no nipples on boobs freaks me out majorly. O.o

And finally two more wips for mine. Still battling with that infernal foot and leg. Grr.

Attachment 834450

Attachment 834448

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh, and clockwork... maybe blur that background out, and make the curtain on the far side the same kind of red as the cushion, then the colour frames her and isn't competing with the purple-greys in her outfit. I'd also be tempted to crop a little off the top and maybe add a little to the right hand side if you can so she's not dead centre and bottom.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    another cool chow I'll have to miss

quick doodle... very cool topic. Maybe I can do it later.

Thanks
    Had some ref for the legs, hope they look okay now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Chow 180:: The STEAMPUNK HAREM

Swingy, chairy, thingy. Bleh.

Zephyri: He looks so prince of persia he's kinda cute in a dim blonde kina... Idk, way, can't fault the technique though.

C-Bunny: I agree, it's pretty but a little flat, maybe add another light source and some highlights from somewhere.

But I'm in no place to criticise anything, it's looking so scruffy right now

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DecayingLolita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Decaying lolita: I rather like your colour scheme and the chair/swing contraption is a really nice design. And I know what you mean about the kinda dopey look... figure a sultana wouldn't want smart males around.. He's more your eye candy 'yes maam' type.

Tommoy: legs look good to me right now! Maybe watch the shape of the veils - they're looking very symmetrical despite the width difference.

Nightblue: shame you won't get to flesh it out well.. I like the look of the initial tones.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    well thanks for your C&C guys.
    still need to add a backround and some props
    great work people. keep it up

Thanks
    This is such an awesome topic! How could I possibly resist.
    AWESOME entries so far. I'll have to go back and take a look at them again.

So here is the beginning of mine. So far I've been BS-ing the anatomy. This is all from my head, so I'm still trying to figure out the pose. I'm hoping it doesn't look Way Off what's natural. I wanted to give him a sexy with hidden vulnerability look. The steam punk part should show up more when I go into the jewelry, but that's last. I'm also trying to figure out the room architecture,
    which should play an important part. Ahh this is hard. But oh so fun.

Thanks
    zephyri - Thanks for the crit. I _love_ how yours is coming out. I think the big thing that sticks out to me is (like you said) that foot is still unresolved . Other than that, great job so far.

Thanks
    I am soooo far behind!! Omg. Freakin out here. Pretty much have to work ALL this weekend to get this done. Thank god I'm in Aus and I get a bit of leeway with the deadline hehe.

I know there's like no steampunk or harem elements yet. Just getting the skin right at the moment.

I contemplated working in B&W but colour just felt more right. Started with a sketch, scanned and outlined in ArtRage. Now doing the colour in PS.
    Kitty's Drawings - My blog!

I have a Sketchbook now ---> SKETCHY!!

Thanks
    Here are a few more sketches. I kind of like the over all costume on the first one. The middle idea is simply that the kind sultan has a machine that gives his ladies sweat dreams to keep them happy. The bottom one is; under a loose tile the kidnapped harem slave keeps the message carrier that she builds by moon light from bits and pieces that she finds around the palace. Soon it will be done and she will send it off to inform her true love where she can be found and hopefully rescued. Not sure if I’ll make it to final but it’s fun playin’. Once again, super cool stuff showing up on here!

Thanks
    Thanks Artofinca

zephyri - wooow, your guy is fierce! I love his face, that mystery, background... please finish it and let me vote for you

ArtAdonis - great style!

dwinbotp very nice pose, face and colour palette but her legs seems to be a little bit to big.

H4WK for me, 2nd sketch is great!

and now kind of big progres from me. i know she is naked and maybe a little steampunky but i'll add some details soon

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Monika Gruszka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the crits folks! Here's the little I managed to put forward today (WOW I didn't do much ). A little bummed out : I won't be able to work on this at all on Saturday and only 1hour available prior to the deadline on Monday so, that only leaves me Sunday to work this out. This challenge is gona turn out bigger than myself I reckon but, "in for a penny".

What do you think : the dancing is more presentable now ? Or stick with the wall-leaner ?

---

Matt B : Cheers, ya your,e right : I MUST stop procrastinating so much ! It'll happen one day you know ? hehe

Zephyri + Jessi : I also prefer the pose of the wall-leaning one. It's not quite the character I had in mind though: not sure it's the best way to show off the steampunk gear, but it's the one that has the most "emotional content" in it (for the Bruce Lee fans out there ).

And ya the dancer... hahaha Wanted to try my hand at this gymnastics thing, it's amazing sometimes that, but I redrew that idea with easier poses this time 'round 'cause well, it reads much better this way and I don't have to put so much effort into understanding what the bones/muscles are doing this way hehe

Odiolitos : Ya that's what I wasn't diggin' about the first pose at first : how to place importance on the feather-gear. But there seems to be a consensus here so that puts things into focus.

---

As for crits of my own :

Artfonica : I like #4 the most. Number 6 could be cool as well though : seein ' the relationship with the sultan.

Gruszka : definitely a change for the better with the B&W version : I much prefer this one, the body-language seems much more appropriate.

Kristo Novo : Diggin' the pic but I find it's a little creepy at the moment : looks like a bio-mechanical crab-pirate-chick more than a slave-concubine. It's kinda cool if you ask me but I'm not gettin' the vibe the brief set forth at the moment. There's something a bit to aggressive about it for me.

Tommoy : that's commin' along nicely man Really like it, but keep puttin' motion in them veils : they seem a little heavy and stiff at the moment - as well as the trouser legs : they look a little plasticy/latexy at the moment. Plenty of time to kick in the detailing though so you've probably already put time aside for it hehe

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    H4WK the kneepads in the first one is interesting :o
    zephyri I love the steampunky designelements you've added
    Tommoy I prefered it when you had the nipples showing compared to your current nipple jewlery thingies, maybe try to add something a more interesting than circles there?
    dwinbotp sweet face! I enjoy your choice of colours.
    Artofinca enjoyable sketches to look at, I third one being my favourite.

I had some more time

EDIT:looking at it now im like.. wrah fail. ok fixes tomorrow. sleep nao.
    Last edited by ErikStorstein; November 20th, 2009 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    I'm WAAAY too far behind |:
    Need to speed things up.

Great pics looking forward to the finished versions.

Its the weekend and this is all i got, drinky time so i don't think this will get finished.

Edit. that hat has a real bad tangent with the background. Ligten it make it stand out more? get rid of it all together make it smaller or change the background. Times like this make me wish i used layers.

Chow 180:: The STEAMPUNK HAREM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    H4WK - the 2nd one has the most personality at the moment, but maybe use the legs from number 1.

dwinbotp - lovely rendering, as usual. The thigh is a little large, as already pointed out and the rear leg's lower half is a bit shorter than the front leg, but also watch out for her breasts, the muscles holding them up are connected to the shoulders, which means they should follow the angle of her shoulders - right now they are reversed, with the left lower than the right. The breast on the left should also maybe move some to the right because it should sit on top of her ribcage, which should be tilted upward at that angle.

Attachment 834596

So much awesome... And thanks for all the feedback!
    A little more progress:

Attachment 834597

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 401 Posts
    @ArtAdonis - If you manage to keep that one in comic-style, you are so getting my vote!

Quote Originally Posted by PxelSlayer View Post
    I also hereby solemnly swear I will not post any more pic spam untill I`m finished and need help with final tweaks.

I hate breaking my word. And you know what else I hate?

COLOR. That and LIGHTNING. *bork bork*

Thanks
    @Rambozo it´s a sultry one ^^

@ArtAdonis I like your comic style - can´t wait to see it colored

@JessiBean wow

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Kristo Novo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello everybody, been watching here for a long time but only just created an account because I just had to try that awesome chow idea.

Great stuff from everybody so far, hoping I will finish mine before the deadline.

2 wips for now. Any critiques are more than welcome:

Thanks
    Attachment 834633
    Wow! This CHOW has an excellent turnout, and some amazing work so far.

I am still trying to figure out a way to make my oriental harem woman look steam punk, without her having an obvious Victorian influence, or sticking in unnecessary tech. A woman dancing in a harem just wouldn't need any of the gadgetry we often identify with steam punk. I'll figure something out... More soon.

Thanks
    zephyri- thanks man. I noticed that in yours the face is in very slight 3/4 view but the nose is straight on. I'm sure it would be a bitch to fix at this point but here's a quick paintover

Thanks
    I lengthened her arm so hopefully it looks a little better now

39. The Following User Says Thank You to deadhead16mb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    PxelSlayer - Don't be afraid of lighting! Go into photoshop and make an Overlay layer, on this, paint some darker hues to make areas tone down, lighter colors will pop out more, and you can experiment with pushing and pulling things back and forward quickly until something grabs you. It is generally a good idea to vingnette the image, or give the outside edges a kind of dark halo, as this will draw the eye to the center of the image automatically. Here, I experimented a little with it. I put one light focused on her face, and I also tried making your main light source behind her:

Attachment 834665

41. The Following User Says Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Did some more. Feeling pretty blah at this stage. Want to stop for today but I wont have time to finish otherwise.
    Kitty's Drawings - My blog!

I have a Sketchbook now ---> SKETCHY!!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast