Artists with clinical depression?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Artists with clinical depression?

I finally realized that my complete lack of motivation comes from clinical depression. Of course there's more purely psychological reasons behind it, too. I had my share of a string of past failures and I'm kinda worn out at the age of 33. Fear of failure and the memory of past failures really hold me back. But clinical depression plays a huge role as the ball and chain in my artistic motivation. For last couple of months I drew only three days' worth of drawings, mostly from figure drawing workshops.

Deep inside of me, I want to draw hundreds of robots, vehicles, costumes, scenery and whatnot. But I am completely lack of motivation. Fear of making half-assed works is one thing. But depression sucks. It really cripples my artistic endeavor.

So, if any of you has the same problem, how do you cope? Do you take any medication? Good thing is that I can get my psych meds for free. I just need the right kind of suggestion for the medication.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How many of these threads are you going to make?

The internet is going to fix your problems, get your balls up and draw or stop fucking complaining.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlyFreeze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think only your doctor should be giving suggestions on medication.

One natural thing you can try in the mean time is Saint Johns Wart however if you're a female don't take it if you're on birth control, it can make it ineffective.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I turn it into fuel and doodle stuff. I don't care what I end up with, it just feels good to get it out of my system.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to crossmirage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFreeze View Post
    How many of these threads are you going to make?

The internet is going to fix your problems, get your balls up and draw or stop fucking complaining.
    Totally the wrong attitude mate...

- On topic: Unsure about the meds, but maybe start looking at drawing from this angle: If you don't draw, you won't improve, if you don't draw, that's half-assedness in itself. Just go ahead and try to draw something right now, as you're reading this, even if it's only a 5 minute sketch, try to teach yourself something from it.

Basically, start of by drawing a bit and learning a bit, draw a hand right now if you think your hand anatomy needs improving. (No, literally, I mean right now, do it and post it here). After you draw a bit and learn abit, you can start stepping up to bigger challenges once your confidence comes back (and it will, provided you just draw). Cheers.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There is this really weird stigma around mental affliction. People tend to go with the "rub some dirt on it and walk it off" attitude.

If you broke your arm, you would drop everything and run to the ER. Yet when someone has bi-polar, depression, some kind of addiction, etc they act like it will just go away. Your arm wouldn't heal if you ignored it. Your brain doesn't fix itself just by thinking differently. It needs to be treated.

gogidolim: no one on this forum nor yourself are equipped to treat clinical depression. it has nothing to do with "coping," having a strong will, or anything like that. If depression is getting in the way of your day-to-day life then you need to get professional help. If you have apprehensions about drugs, then see a psychologist for therapy. but please, don't try to tackle this on your own and don't turn to us for this kind of help.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

11. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No your not helping him, your enabling him to continue with this crap. Its never going to address his real problems. He needs tough love because CA isn't the place to deal with his emotional problems.

As soon as he figures out that CA won't pat him on the back and tell him its ok all the time the better, maybe he can get some real help.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeadlyFreeze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Having a parent that has tried to committ suicide twice because of clinical depression(both times we managed to recitate and pump the pills out), I can say with all sincerity, get professional help. Take your condition seriously. My parent has been in an in-house treatment program for about 10 months now, it is slowly pulling them out, but it is taking a lot of support and therapy.

DeadlyFreeze, I understand your sentiments, but when a clinically depressed person stops asking for help or understanding it usually means they are beginning a cycle of isolation, which, in my experience, has the potential to end tragically.

Last edited by {CKL}; November 14th, 2009 at 04:08 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, there's already a solution to this.

Right Here.
    Start from page 1 and keep going.

SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Irishdrunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No your not helping him, your enabling him to continue with this crap. Its never going to address his real problems. He needs tough love because CA isn't the place to deal with his emotional problems.

As soon as he figures out that CA won't pat him on the back and tell him its ok all the time the better, maybe he can get some real help.
    your a dickhead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maaaaan you can't expect to work as hard as the pro's do if your just starting art now.

dedication and focus are just like muscles, you need to make them grow over time.

do this, every time you do a little work tell yourself good i push a little harder today, i cant produce a book every day, but today i did better than yesterday, or i might not have beat yesterday but i did some good stuff today.

and also, always always always quit while your ahead if you have motivation issues, to me motivation is like a fire that burns fuel, the better things are going the more fuel you have and the faster the fire gets, but if you start a new section and things arnt going well straight away (ie portraiture to anatomy or whatever), you have no fuel and a massive fire so you burn out really quickly. in those situations i think its better to go away have some fun and come back ready to suck at first again.

dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nrx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been suffering depressin for many, many years now. To meet me, you wouldnt think so at all!!!

I got help, spoke to someone and took one day at a time. I have been taking medication, but am slowly taking myself off it, as I do not want to rely on it anymore. They are re-uptake inhibitors and control the amount of seratonin leaving my braaaain!

Keep positive. Exercise regularly. Stop, if you can, drinking alcohol and taking drugs, if you do this kinda thing;

Speaking to someone WILL help you. It will open you up to why you feel the way you do, and help you understand yourself, and how to deal with it;

Each day, force yourself to draw something. Find a quiet place doodle or do a life study;

in your free time, go to a museum, cafe or gallery and draw the people there or do a study of a painitng/sculpture;

If there is a Local Sketchgroup you have access to - then meet up with them regularly - dont put it off - force yourself when you dont feel like it;

Join an evening class. Paying for one, will force you to attend, as it would be a waste of your own money not to do so. Take your ipod/walkman with you. Put them head phones on and plough into your work. Ignore the world around you and focus on the study infront of you....

Those of you with shitty 'tough-love' advice are a bunch of wankers.
    Don't reply to something you clearly dont understand.
    Depression is no blasie/laughing matter. It ruins lives and is an awful thing to suffer from. If I could change it for some other medical problem, I fucking would in a heart beat.

So, go fucking 'draw-something' yourselves (most likely, you need the fucking practice...) and try if you fucking can, quit being an ignorant, cunting arsehole...

Mama Molly xxx

22. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Molly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you've been suffering for that long molly I don't know why you would advise someone, it clearly isn't working for yourself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you've been suffering for that long molly I don't know why you would advise someone, it clearly isn't working for yourself.
    you've obviously never experienced true depression.

Depression isn't something anybody can say "okay, I'm gonna just fucking suck it up now" to and somehow empower themselves out of it.

in my opinion, the fact that Molly has managed to actually live for years with depression is no mean feat, and definitely gives her the right to give advice. I've really only experienced "true depression" in the last year or so (a state of being that I don't think I could rationally understand before I had experienced it) and I'm not sure how much longer I could have managed to survive. srsly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stop caring about artsy progress and start caring about your life progress.
    If you suffer from clinical depression, there's a lot more to care about than what you draw. See a psychologist.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jabo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Oden View Post
    you've obviously never experienced true depression.

Depression isn't something anybody can say "okay, I'm gonna just fucking suck it up now" to and somehow empower themselves out of it.
    I experienced clinical depression as a teenager, and that is exactly what I did to rid myself of it. Therapy and SSRI's just placated the issue, and did nothing to cure it. It is ultimately up to the person to pull themselves out of their rut, even if it takes many years to do so.

I wouldn't dismiss ideas just because they seem insensitive to you, as they have worked for others.

Website Sketchbook

"If it looks wrong, it is wrong."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I watched my father slowly die for 5 years from cancer please enlightening me on depression.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't stop you from becoming someone who plays with dangerous smattering you don't know shit about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol no it means I like pretty much everyone other person in the world understands how to deal with it.

If you makes you feel better to think your special then keep on living the lie, that's probably half your problem right there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek the Usurper View Post
    I experienced clinical depression as a teenager, and that is exactly what I did to rid myself of it. Therapy and SSRI's just placated the issue, and did nothing to cure it. It is ultimately up to the person to pull themselves out of their rut, even if it takes many years to do so.

I wouldn't dismiss ideas just because they seem insensitive to you, as they have worked for others.
    Sure it helped a lot of people. The difference is that with a professional treatment, there's a second person knowing about the issue. Imagine "sucking it up" doesn't help. Also, clinical depression as a teenager isn't the same as clinical depression with 33 years old. A whole different situation, some 15 years more psychological history that are utterly different to the ones you have passed when you're 15. I'm not trying to play it down here, just saying it's a different set of puzzle.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I watched my father slowly die for 5 years from cancer please enlightening me on depression.
    I dunno, the only way I can really describe (in my own personal experience) is that as a basically happy person, shit could go wrong for me or the people I cared about, and I would be able to get over it. I could rationalize it, and I could empower myself out of it because I was able to look at bad experiences from the view point of an intrinsically happy person, if you know what I mean.

when I was 19, I was having a horrible year (aimless, goalless, dropped out of university, a high school friend died of a heroin OD, I was going absolutely nowhere) and yet deep down I felt happy and fairly fulfilled!

The only way I can characterise what I have felt to be true depression is the exact opposite of that; recently, despite knowing my life was pretty great overall, I felt like absolute crap. I abandoned my friends, I abandoned my goals, my art, I isolated myself, I seriously considered suicide, all because of a few silly external conditions that could be rationally dealt with.

My experience with true depression is that it's pretty irrational...it's hard to describe beyond that.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    Sure it helped a lot of people. The difference is that with a professional treatment, there's a second person knowing about the issue. Imagine "sucking it up" doesn't help. Also, clinical depression as a teenager isn't the same as clinical depression with 33 years old. A whole different situation, some 15 years more psychological history that are utterly different to the ones you have passed when you're 15. I'm not trying to play it down here, just saying it's a different set of puzzle.
    It's a different set of puzzle for each individual case regardless of age, so I don't see how that is relevant at all. Sounds like you are in fact trying to play it down.

What worked for me will by no means work for anyone else. I'm merely stating that it did work for someone.

Website Sketchbook

"If it looks wrong, it is wrong."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure, I agree with that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ....christ, you are so worldly, aren't you?...

You need some Education for that tiny brain of yours, you really do...

The help I'm getting is working fine, thank you for asking I have the wonderful support of my family, fiance and friends. I also have a fantastic rapport with my clients, my peers, and plenty contacts here, so, we depressed people aren't the losers you think we are. Obviously, there is something inside of you that is hurting, and maybe, you are just too shy to confront that problem, and so can think of nothing else better to do, than take it out on other people who are brave enough to come here be honest about their feelings. There are plenty of artists suffering with depression, many famous ones too. Your 'advice' clearly shows lack of education and common curteousy on your behalf. You obviously are very young and do not know much about life. Depression affects people in many different ways. People will suffer all their lives; it's not something that just goes away over night (or did you think that? oh, your poor, stupid, stupid thing )
    Hopefully, gogidolim will not listen to a mindless fuckwit like you, who, clearly has no idea what they are talking about....

My advise is sound. I am a feisty character (gorgeous too); and take no shit from anyone, and can stand up for myself. My advise to gogidolim is positive, and true, because one thing I can do, is 'support' someone in need of it. I also can't miss an opportunity in telling ignorant people like you, to go fuck yourselves, because I'm sick to the back teeth of fanboys (like you) trying to be clever with your so-called tough-love...

Sweetie, when you have grown a pair of balls, maybe, just maybe, we might listen to you...until then, keep that ugly mouth of yours shut...

Mama Molly x

38. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Molly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oh, dear, NOW it comes out after you insult everyone....

Nice move Sherlock, nice move

EDIT: Is this an HONEST admission? Or Are you taking the fucking piss????

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You seem to have an anger problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You seem to have an anger problem.
    I think, your taking the piss, to get a reaction, because you are bored...
    Seriously, you insult people, then say your dad died of cancer, and now you want advice on depression?

I may have anger problems, but you? I think, you have communication problems with the rest of the world, and are replying here for sport, not because you actually care.

That darling, is terribly sad...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well your entitled to your opinion molly, regardless I'm sure you quite a nice person.

....and no my father died of cancer when I was 22.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

44. The Following User Says Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    seek a professional with a good reputation, bearing in mind this still your fight, not his. And, go see the film Pirate Radio. If that doesn't cheer you up, it's serious.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2