University Personal Project.(Feedback would be fantastic) Updated regularly
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: University Personal Project.(Feedback would be fantastic) Updated regularly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

University Personal Project.(Feedback would be fantastic) Updated regularly

Hi
    I'm currently studying my third and final year at uni and a part of that final year is a personal project. For my project I will be producing a character pipeline of my own creation, a Western Knight Gunslinger. So I'll begin with a concept stage right through to final render of the 2 chosen models. I've included a early final stage of my character design for you lucky people! I'll chose 2 of the 4 design and finalised them further. But enough talk now I'll let you get on and have a look.

Oh and feel free to ask any question and C&C would be the bee's knees for me.

Cheers....

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Di$array; November 24th, 2009 at 11:21 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3 is by far my fav with 1 coming in second.

I like these two because I can clearly see a melding of iconic 'western' and 'knight' elements, wheres the other two, I don't feel 'Western' in at all.

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahah that's a rlly cool idea

and my fav also is the 3 followed by the 1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers guys. I have to say 3 is one of my faves too. I've chosen 3 and 2 for refinement and additional ideas. so hopefully I'll have them for uploading soon. I'm currently working on face studies, which I'll also uploaded some WIP and the final outcome as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3 look a lot like a witch hunter from warhammer but its workin the best. maybe add some armor to 1 and it would have more Knight to it. verry cool. like to see em finished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both for the comments. I'll look into the witch hunter from Warhammer. It may lead to ideas i haven't explored.

I forgot to add some info from the proposal brief i set myself for this design. Basically it was an ancient order of Knight that left Britain for a new undiscovered land (America) to battle a new evil. Many years have passed and now its 1890..ish. So basically I'll have to age the medieval stuff due to the idea i had of them being relic that is past down from master to spuires.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh i forgot a little update on the face study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I've rearrange the position of the heads and I'm close to completing them. Another past would be great but i think they'll do for now unless anyone can find a major problem with them. But I'd still love some critique.

Since my character is a warrior monk of sorts i thought I'd adopt a monkish hair do. So i decided to go with a small patch of hair.

Anyways enough talk from me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a bad idea for a gunslinger but how about throwing a bit of chainmail in the mix?
    Maybe a chainmail coif with a stetson...
    Anyway, I like number 1 and 3 best, the first one would be cool with a bit more armour. The monk hair is a nice touch in the face studies.

Good luck with the project.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotor View Post
    This is a bad idea for a gunslinger but how about throwing a bit of chainmail in the mix?
    Maybe a chainmail coif with a stetson...
    Anyway, I like number 1 and 3 best, the first one would be cool with a bit more armour. The monk hair is a nice touch in the face studies.

Good luck with the project.
    lol give me a chance bud, still in the design phase here . I've already had some chain mail in design 4 (I've shrank the images so some of the detail has been lost) but since this character will be traveling in the wild west with the beating sun i think chain mail would be a bad choice of clothing. but I've tried adding some here and there in the designs, but i do like the stetson chain mail idea so i'll play around with that thanks.

cheers for the feedback I am putting i to good use. believe me and thanks for the well wishes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Di$array View Post
    ...but since this character will be traveling in the wild west with the beating sun i think chain mail would be a bad choice of clothing...
    By this logic, all medieval armor types would be a bad choice...There is a reason it is 'fantasy' art, not historically accurate art. I'm into functionality as much as the next guy (more actually IMO), but for any of these concepts to work you have suspend the heat+armor=bad idea.

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have me there. But i did say I've incorporated it here and there. I'm just not going full medieval.

But i come bearing gifts, started my refinement of character Design 2 and would appreciate some feedback please. I've started adding personal items to the character to give him a feeling that he belongs to the world, if such a world existed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok been juggling additional Uni work so my Final year Project took a back seat for a bit. But the past few days I've had to time to work on it. I'm currently in my Semi-Final design stage at the moment. I'm going to make this my last chance to rearrange certain items or ideas about and produce a final beauty shot for each of my 2 final Designs since time is getting on.

I've decided to go in opposite directions with both character designs. One has been heavy influenced by Medieval knight, fashion and Armour and vice versa for the other one. The other been more grounded in the good old Wild West.

-------------------------

My first Design batch is the Medieval influenced one. I've had one consistent item throughout every design, The Surcoat(Robe). I left out the coat of arms of the Order since I've yet to design it but i have included place holders for the time been. I've included a sleeping roll and sack for personal belongings, etc. This will play the role of a basic inventory since this project is a game character design process.

Design 1 has a chain mail suit underneath his surcoat and i have to say its looking quite good. but i do dislike the shin pads or at least narrow them down because they knock the whole silhouette a bit.

With Design 2 i went for a western style around the head area. But i'm really digging the sack and bedroll. Well basically the whole set up around the waist.

Design 3 has my eye the most to be honest. The combination of the Stetson and head shawl is really working i believe and the overall design with the bedroll on the back and the setup on his belt.

For my Second Character I tried to stick with what people would commonly identify a cowboy/Gunslinger with. Stetson, Jeans, cowboy boots, etc. I'm currently in the process of adding a colour scheme since once i finished it it was already open in the window . Personal items were added such as a bible if you can see it attached to the bag on design 1. The six shooters have been moved here and there to add some unique animations if it was actually going to go into full production.

Design 2 is pretty generic. The only problem i had with this design is that i had to reposition the sword to his back due to been stubborn and wanting 2 pistols. I thought i having it run along his backside bit thought it will get in the way of drawing the pistols.

For Design 3 I started to add Native American patterns to the characters drape and I've also added some ribbons to the left arm(our left) to break up the silhouette and add a little bit more work for myself when i start rigging the character if i chose that idea.

I also have to say that the sword really adds to the overall silhouette of the characters. It quite bizarre but pleasing..... well to me anyways

Whoa quite a bit of text. sorry all!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    him not having any eye lashes at all, is that on purpose?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol yeah looks creepy doesn't it . To be honest he doesn't have eyes at the moment because I'm busy adding colour to them and the faces are unfinished. They have them now though. just finished them. I'll upload them soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.