Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Thanks
    really like your style!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    @LtPlissken: I can allways count on you to be a sweetheart. I really ought to stop by your sketchbook sometime!

@Henrique Ventura: A very legitimate claim. I quite often feel that the typical way people show expressions looks quite gimmiky (i.e. people who are angry and fighting with their mouths open in a shout, or people who are crying in a full on sob). I feel that the most important and intense expressions are perhaps the slightest ones, and I think I'm failing at capturing that. I will do everything in my power to correct this.And thank you for the lovely comments as well. (also, I'm pretty lame in the fact that I tend to draw only moody young men. :c)

@Velentry: Thank you so much, though really I never would have guessed Time splitters. I never really came across their art work, and tried playing it once with Tom...we didnt get very far though I'm afraid.

@kidult: Thank you, it's very nice of you to say!

This isn't a particularly large update by any means, but was having a slight panic attack, so I needed to do something with myself.

I signed up to the whole Sketchbook Tour 2012 thing which seemed quite nifty and fun. I'm not having any real problems with it yet, and only started my first picture a few days ago :

Attachment 1324631

It's yet another Jesus picture, and I finally decided to flesh out my Anti-Christ. I already had an idea of what I wanted before I put the pencil to paper, and I'm really trying to push myself to capture the overall image as close as I possibly can. I'm kind of going for a 40's style movie poster sort of thing..but with the same kind of feeling "The Great Gatsby" book cover gives, and I want the Anti-Christ to have a sort of 60's debonair look about him....

It was when I was working on this that I realised that..well I kind of feel lacking. Sometimes I can feel that I might even be technically good at what I want to do, but I'm not really pushing myself. Like int eh sense of actually trying to do the things I want to (bascially draw comics and things, and write stories and all). I sometimes feel like I've got it right on the dime as far as content goes.. but then other times I feel like I'm a bit diluded in thinking that it's good and I've only got this handfull of friends to tell me that it is....

And I also realised how much time I spend drawing and illustrating (though I feel I've not much to show that) and how much it takes me away from the rest of my life. I often feel like I'm neglecting Tom and my dog, for the sake of getting better. I wish I could break away from this kind of passion that consumes me, but the times I do, I feel this gut wrenching urge that I need to return right back to it, and finish what I'm working on.

Anyone else feel these pangs ?

Also, the picture still needs loads of work (and I've already done a bit more since I've scanned it last), and I will attempt a smile on the Anti-christ. As much as I hate smiles.

P.S. Anyone else doing the sketchbook project?

Sorry for the wordy update...just don't know what else to do right now...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,855 Times in 2,092 Posts
    yea, your not alone. i feel this way all the time. all of my friends used to get really pissed with me when i would stay home and spend all night painting. but ive explained it to them since, many many times, how i feel about art and how it can consume me without me realising it. if they still get upset i say whatever, but most of my friends understand, so that helps to ease the burden. i usually explain it to everyone i meet when im drunk. . . haha.
    MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    @NickyBeats: Yeah, Tom totally understands and all, I just feel like I'm being unfair. As much as I love giving into the drug, I just wish I could tear away for just a minute to enjoy some time with him....

Not much to show again, but thought I'd share these things.

I finished this thing , but still have many more pages to finish

Attachment 1330968

Not super happy with it, but I think I kind of ruined it for myself thinking about colouring it the whole time rather than concentrating on what I was doing. Was listening to a lot of Bond themes. They're the greatest.

Then I applied for some contract work. Mind you it was the first time I've ever applied for anything, as I always felt like my work was sub-par, but I thought I'd bite the bullet. And crazily enough I got a response! Was totally surprised. Anyway so they told me to draw a 5 year old girl with a tomato battery, installing it into a teddy bear, with big bright eyes. So, I did a test page for them.

Attachment 1330967

Kind of happy with this one, and they still want to buy the high res version off me, but it didn't land me the job I originally had my eye for. (they gave me other work, so I'm in no way complaining). They wanted something more dark and moody, and I just had no idea from the description they gave me. But you live and you learn. And I think I've already learned a lot from applying to this single job..... I will always look at this as my ultimate failure I suppose. The picture I like that never landed me the things I dreamed of.

If only I could read minds!

I think I'll go do some stress reliever painting. Though really I should be working on that damned sketchbook.....

Thanks
    Between new found work and this sketchbook project, I no longer have a life.

Attachment 1345600

I have recently acquired a contract, in which I have to draw 7 females, each in their respective genres. I thought I'd tackle the sci fi mech suit first, as they're usually a bit difficult for me to compose and make them look decent. I'm satisfied with the image as it stands now...but feel like I could have done so much better......hard lessons are hard learned. Still need to finish this and need to start the second one stat.

Attachment 1345601

I've literally only been able to quickly do this other thing in my sketchbook for the Sketchbook project. I actually quite like him, so I think I will keep him. I shall call him....Gregory.

work work work work work work

Thanks
    Thanked 2,812 Times in 2,528 Posts

Sorry to hear about the lack of time.
    These are some wonderful sketches.

Thanks
    Attachment 1364574

Still working on sketchbook project.

Started one of my own, finally.

Attachment 1364577

Amon Tobin - Bloodstone

Check it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lostcookie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,855 Times in 2,092 Posts
    wow, the last one is awesome. are you planning on doing some sequential work with these, like a short mini comic or something. i think your style would work great with a sort of symbolic comic story without words... could be interesting. anyways, always a pleasure to see a new update.
    MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    NickyBeats: Oi, thanks! The last one is actually a pretty indepth story I've been plannign for years and what not, but never really had the courage to put it on paper. I'm doing that now though. I've realised, I'll never be good enough to do a comic, but it's better for it to exist than for it not to exist. Each page will be better than the last, I can't have them all equally good. I just have to get over that.

Still working on that sketchbook project. I'm starting to run out of time. Never worry though...at least. Trying not to.

Attachment 1392534

Amon Tobin - Lost & Found

Attachment 1392540

Tokyo Incidents - Doppa-Mint!

This one doesn't even look at different. Couldn't seem to find what needed changing though.

Attachment 1392542

Mid-Air! - Her Footsteps Went (Boom)

This is something I had planned for something else, but why not just add a little snippit in this book...

I miss Mid-Air!'s stuff. So good. So good.

Attachment 1392536

My new years picture. Didn't have a lot of time to work on it. Family came to visit (mother and sister. They were amazin).

Bulgarian State Choir - Sablyalo Mi Agontze
    Daedelus - Never None the Wiser

Attachment 1392538

Daedelus - Nouveau Nova
    Daedelus - Bahia

Attachment 1392541

Basement Jaxx - Ascension

Attachment 1392539

Samurai Legend Musashi - Silent Dialogue
    (yeah...there's a game track or two that I will admit to listening to from time to time. Can't get enough of that vidya game mysak)

The last three I had to kind of pump out in the last two days. Still Have 5 more pictures to go. I think I can do this.

Happy new year everyone!

Thanks

Thanks
    I love your use of negative space and geometric shapes. The sequential page in #97 is intriguing. Your style works very well for that. I also like the use of patterns in some of the work. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Lovely, lovely style, and nice to see someone else who shades their noses your noses can be slightly boxy, but you have made it your own style and it is gorgeous.
    Freelance Artist Website : http://www.allyalbon.com

Blog : http://allyalbon.wordpress.com/

Black Cat Chronicles : Soul Thief now published
    http://aileenpettigrew.wordpress.com/

Thanks
    No constructive crits at the moment, but I just wanted to say that your stuff is just plain fun to look at. Like it a lot.

Thanks
    @jonafunart:Thats very nice of you to say!

@msafs:Aha, i always like to have lots of space floating around, but Never really realised how much space I had until you've mentioned! But thanks a mil!

@AllyAlbon: I think I tend to give my men boxy noses as I have a kind of small button type nose (what my mother says anyway) and I find more structured and European type noses to be particularly attractive (though on the real, almost any nose can be).Thanks!

@Alenka:Aha, thanks alot! It's always nice to know when someone enjoys the effort you put into something.

I thought I upload this one now cause I kind of like it, but I'm sure I won't in a few days. I wish my scanner could better pick up some of the gradients in pencil work, as it doesn't seem to pick up particularly soft things... ah well. WELL. Moving on.

Attachment 1393241

The inn keepers daughter.

4 more pictures to go, then I'm free.......already starting to not like this.

Thanks
    I really like your style. Reminds me of stuff I see in "Hi Fructose" magazine. Are you into Low brow and Pop surrealism?

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast