Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Thanks
    @Dahlium: Ahh thanks! I don't really have any tips, really. I don't think I do any special tricks that I know of.I think the importance of value is key, maybe, but even I could learn a thing or two about that...I really couldn't say, I'm sorry!

Anyway, I just finished this thing. I'm having one of those moments when I realise that no one else really cares about my work as much as I do. It's just inevitable. These lows always make me consider just realising that my hopes of turning my art into a career are moot point.

Attachment 1536990

But for whatever reason, my persistent ass just keeps drawing to "get better". Huh. I don't even know if that's actually happening or not.

*burns sketchbooks and chops of hands*

Blip bloop.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Chin up mate.

You have a very unique style, and clearly have a love for what you do. It's obviously all very personal to you, and maybe it will pan out as a career, maybe it wont. Either way, you've made something special in the world that wasnt there before and would have never existed if it wasn't for you. In the end isnt that the whole point?

Plus, looking through your sketchbook has made me better at drawing noses. So there's that.

Anyway, keep up the good work and don't get too down. (Make sure you stay a bit down though, I think all artists should have a slight air of melancholy.)

Thanks
    What a great sytle! I loved, really pretty!
    Can't wait for some more!
    "If you find yourself in a difficult situation, use art as a weapon."

Deviantart - Sketchbook

Thanks
    Awesome style!!! The last post #136 is uber pretty and precise!
    "The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
    - Marianne Williamson

Say "Hi" on DeviantArt!
    Or.. Drop by my Sketchbook and Help me Out?

Thanks
    Really digging the shapes/composition in "Crippled Hands"! I'd like to see more

Thanks
    you have a very definitive style! really like this sb, keep it up!

Thanks
    @Inkthyosaur: I get what you mean man, it's just annoying that never really see anyone genuinely upset about their work. But I guess that's because I'm a huge loser and others are actually working hard to get better. It's just one of those things I fall in and out of. I get worried though because the lows just get lower and lower and lower.

I'll get over it. And ha, noses are probably one of the most integral features of a good looking face I find. Thanks.

@reborn-gp:Thanks lovely. Hopefully I can put more up soon if I stop working slower then a snail against a current.

@FalconessN: Thanks! I was working on that in a new moleskine I just got. Pages seem waxier than I remember...

@xinranliu: I'll finish that thing eventually I guess... I do need to do more colour and anatomy studies though. My shit is all over the place.

@kevin_: Thanks deary.

------------

Name:  slosans.png
Views: 716
Size:  385.7 KB

Thought I'd have a go at doing something black and white , to try and get a better grasp at values and all. Ended up emotionally investing a lot into this one and felt scorned like a bitch when it fell short of what I had envisioned. These things would probably work better if I stopped dicking around and used a reference.

Name:  StarwatcherCom2pre.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  488.5 KB

Second commission I've done so far. They wanted me do do another pictre of my version of the Starwatcher. This one took a bit of planning. I'm still pretty happy with this for now.

Name:  pchat-night-lovelies.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  76.7 KB

My men will always be handsome forever.

I have so much on my mind but its like....can't even be bothered to write it.

Thanks
    I've been really busy recently, and things are moving forward! I managed to wiggle myself into a gallery that's just started in WInchester. It's run by a man who's been selling paintings and things himself for a good few years now, and wanted to have a gallery that helped new artists get some footing. I got some prints done, and managed to sell one! I had a few other people express intrest, but no money down yet. But man...I did a sort of spinning jump kick in the middle of the place while doing the dramatic fist of passion thing.

I do wish sometimes that I would update here more often, but recently I keep having the feeling of "Time for nothing but painting". So, just trying to work hard and improve with each piece. I will admit I haven't got an incredible lot done since my last post but I have finished one painting and one pencil commission since with a few sketches here and there so :

Name:  Crippled-Hand-Fs2.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  345.7 KB

Finally got around to finishing this one. Was/still pretty happy with the end result. I really forced myself to use brighter colours rather than everything being super pale. Did a lot of livestreaming with this one as well so had a few good friends to help me stay pretty passionate about it.

Name:  AubreyFsCA2.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  323.1 KB

This was the pencil commission I recently finished. It was strangely well received by a few people. I thought it may be a bit too abstract for people to get anything out of it.. I'm generally happy with the shapes and composition. I tried to focus a bit more on getting different feelings from textures (not just rendering them correctly, but for something to feel floaty, or for surfaces to feel soft etc.) They are happy with the end result though, I just have to run off to the post office and actually send it now haha. There's always a bit of me that wants to wave a kerchief in the air and sob crying "Adieu!" while the post man tosses it into a corner somewhere.

Name:  Part2 F preS.png
Views: 661
Size:  1.31 MB

A second part of a commission I did but totally forgot to post anywhere. I was happy with the end result, but really couldn't get a good quality photo, and the only place that can scan it is in town which is half hour by bus, and last time they saved the files as pdfs so..quality wasn't all that either.

Name:  freckle master8pre.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  178.2 KB

Was doing a photo study. Drew each freckle individually. I found using only texture brushes for something like that looks like shit. It looks way too flat, making it look super unnatural. and you also don't get the colour variations so. I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of texture brushes as greatly as some. But that may be because the ones I have are pretty useless. Not sure if and when I will finish this one.

Name:  Pyotryyypre.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  216.2 KB

Started this as work (like most of my sketches these days). Bee pretty inspired by McQueen these days. But then it turned into a character of someone's that I admire. And wanted to draw some precious crown type thing. I'm interested in finishing this, but not sure how to go forward with it exactly. Not yet anyway.

Name:  Alexpl.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  291.0 KB

Another sketch at work. It's pretty useless. It was kind of a concept sketch of a type of alex in wonderland thing. But as I started colouring it , he just looked like a child sized mormon. :/ Will probably never finish it I imagine.

Anyway, that's about all I have. It's not all that much but thought I should dust some cobwebs off my sketchbook here so. there you go.

I'm way more active on my tumblr.Have a lovely day.

Thanks
    I can't but concur with all the others, you've got an awesome style! Keep it up!

Thanks
    I must agree Zikes, the style is awesome. Your pencils have a very nice touch. Your renders are nice as well. I've been trying to think of a critique to be helpful, but I'm not coming up with much. Maybe a few harder lines in your renders would push them a bit more, cause the soft tones make them a bit flat/blurry. But then again, it sort of fits your style so, grain of salt and all that. Keep posting!

Thanks
    Cosmic Wizard chap is excellent. A really nice piece. And surprised to see the fairly realistic photo study from you as most of your other stuff is generally a more graphic/design flatter style. Moving into something new? Well done on the Winchester Gallery slot. Good stuff.

Thanks
    @Zikes: Thanks!

@chevy28360:Thanks bro. I've noticed my work has been getting a bit softer and softer which I'm not sure is the way I want to go. I definitely like the contrast of flat colours against rendered skin, but I think I'm still trying to get to grips with making the skin appear soft without giving everyone the same facial features all the time. I've been trying to switch it up, but I think the differences are so minute that no one else can see them... Anyway, thanks again. Will keep this in mind!

@Inkthyosaur: Hahahha I should have titled the picture "Cosmic Wizard Chap". As far as the photo study, I wanted to start painting different facial features, as I realise I'm same-facing a lot of my pictures recently. Also, learning to render skin more properly and lighting etc. Still haven't finished that one because I keep getting distracted by wanting to do personal work and especially since I have but only so much time to display my work in Winchester. But thanks! I'll get back to studies eventually....and see where they take me.

Not a huge update, but I managed to finish this over the last 4/5 days.

Name:  DSLFspCA.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  326.6 KB

I couldn't help but be inpsired by the angsty side of the 80's. Hoping to get it printed up and hanging soon. Was listening to some stuff from my youth, stuff my mother use to play on the radio. Really makes me want to go back when everything was always -okay-. I think I'm mostly impressed with my shitty graffiti I painted, as I don't think I've ever in the life of me attempted any graffiti even though I swear by Jet Grind Radio and absolutely love it when done properly.

Tears For fears - Sowing the Seeds of Love

Back to work!

Thanks
    Inspiring stuff, your pencils are really fresh!

Thanks
    I really like your style!
    You use lineweight really effectively and they way you stylize eyes, noses and hands looks very graceful.
    Obviously you change some of the anatomy and pose but sometimes it looks a little awkward, especially in the chest area.
    And don't ever apologize for androgynous pin ups

Thanks
    @gerezon: Thank you deary! Very nice of you to say.

@Xelar:Haha, thanks! And yes, I tend to screw up the chest area a bit as it always seems to ..unimportant to me? So I never really take notice of them (which I should of course). That was always an area I had problems with drawing, but I think now that someones actually mentioned it allowed, it will bother me enough to try and get it right. Thanks for the crit!

I think I may be posting a bit too frequently now, with very little material, so I think after I finish this one, I'll have to hide into the depths and do some for real studying. I'm really lacking in skill for my age I think , so I need to up my game.

Name:  AKEprev3ca.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  534.3 KB

A $10 A4 siz3d commission for a friend. I think I like where it's going. I took some liberties with the face which I think I may regret later, but I think I like the sort of gaze he has.

I've just been getting that sort of feeling recently of...well I'm hardly -great-. I'm not bad I guess, but I'm not something that's...triumphant. Like. Not powerful like how I would like to be. Insecure...but perhaps that's because I can be insecure at times and it shows through my work. Maybe I want my work to feel powerful so I can pretend that I am?

There are times when I'm sure, and confident and ready. But then I see the vastness of humanity, let alone the universe and feel subdued. I'm just another one of the millions. Not one above the many.

I like music. Michael Nyman - Not the Only One

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lostcookie For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast