Page 8 of 129 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Thread: Crimson Daggers

Thanks
    exploding into page 8 yeah!!

been working on this since this morning, minus showering. probably a total of 2.5 hours? it took like an hour to do the lineart alone, and I think the glass might still be wonky. probably going to be in this one for a while, but right now I have to go to work

I'm definitely guilty of working small too soon D:

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    CharReed: so far your lights and darks on the porcelain are all blue (ish grey) which is making it look flat. theres quite a bit of yellow light in this picture... look at the top of the teapot thing and the light on the plates for example. here's a quick paintover... sorry it's shitty but I'm gonna be late haha

also i'm not that good at judging colour so dont trust me on this but I feel like i see bits of purple/mauve in the shadows too

EDIT: oh wait I just saw what you said about colours. DISREGARD

Thanks
    dammit!
    Ride the Crimson Thunder!

Thanks
    3 hours of lifepainting later ^^

Crimson Daggers

great job guys

Elnazareno: when you look at colors try to get a sense of what is affecting them , for instance if you are using indoor lighting it will probably be affected by yellow light so you'll have to adjust your color accordingly.

really awesome to see so much people working to improve!
    PORTFOLIO
    My Sketchbook
    Leslie Van den Broeck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to polydrawer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great work, polydrawer!

Elnazareno: also good to note is that our eyes deceive us. We think we are seeing one color when in reality it's a totaly different one. Try squinting your eyes, it helps.

André.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cl0aked For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey, really glad to see that some of you have been getting some use out of that study sheet. You guys are really rockin' those manikins! You're putting me to shame. And WOW, great paintings guys and gals! I was busy all day with family so I've got some catching up to do. I'll probably try to post some studies later tonight and start on my life study painting tomorrow. Should see you guys in the morning though.
    Some see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I just try to see the glass!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 907 Posts
    Awesome work everyone! I'm going to continue with the life drawing action tomorrow as well!
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Delicious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    here is a continue of the drawings i just went down to the nitty gritty and just did an apple kinda happy with it the bottom and shadow look a little funny to me but all in all will continue to do more, any tips? color and rendering seems to be a BIG problem for me.

Thanks

epic crash

i had an epic internet fail over the weekend so i wasnt able to catch the streams until tonight...sunday...>_<, im gunna try to catch up as quickly as i can if school doesnt rape me. the first two pages are from a life drawing session i go to and the 3rd page is loomis ref, 4th page is from memory, i covered up what was already drawn on this page as i worked so as not to cheat

Thanks
    Well here's what I got done tonight. Really trying to get back to the basics and learn that shit. I've been shooting myself in the foot for years because I never took the time to really memorize this stuff. So I guess later is better than never.

Attachment 830689
    Some see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I just try to see the glass!

Thanks

Thanks
    Undeadartist: Good work! I don't think the colours are your main problem. I think it's the values. I cannot believe that the highlights were really the brightest white possible.

Our problem is that our eyes automaticly ajust to the light situation. If you enter in a dark room, your eyes adapt. If you go out on a bright sunny sommer day, your eyes adapt. And this is the same if you look at a knife, cup, glass or whatever. It gives you the impression that the brightest parts seem to be white and the darkest parts seem to be black. But this isn't true!!!

For a good still life you have to study the colours (means also the values) very concentrated. You have to compare the colour you picked on your computer with the reality. In most cases (this was my third coloured still life) I have to correct the colour I chosed, because my eyes played a trick.

Sorry for my bad english - I hope you got the point.
    See ya in the lifestream

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Melfey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    oh god... very stomach-painy today, but I had to catch up on yest's stream.. here's my less than par still life so far, im about 2 hours into it (i know! pitiful!) I'm gonna leave it for a bit and continue with fellow daggers in 2 hours...

Crimson Daggers

if anyone can help with seeing colors IN shadows id be really grateful! ALL I SEE IS GREY! and I *know* you shdnt use grey because it muddies up your colors, but I swear, it's grey!! halp?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to petitemistress For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @petitemistress
    Did you ever tried to work with two different light sources? I mean two different light colours, like one blue light and one yellow light. This might help you seeing the colours in the shadows, because it's easier to see, if there is any contrast.

For me seeing the colours in shadows and lights works, when I compare them with other colours in the picture. I usually gaze at the colour I would like to identify and compare that colour with the near environment. Sometimes this colours can also be found in other parts which are far away. The highlight on the teapot in front of me resembles the colour of the floor. It's a kind of dirty beige. I did'nt expect that, but it would help to create a persuasive still-life if I would integrate that observation in it.

Also important is the fact that a lesser saturated colour used on the same item like the high saturated colour works like an other colour. Some "greens" and "blues" I used on my still-life "Tea egg & Pear" are in fact low saturated reds and oranges on the palette. Analyze the tea egg with your colour picking tool - you will be surprised!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Melfey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks melfy i understand what you meann im going to keep at this till i get better thanks man for taking the time to do that. : D

Thanks
    Dammit!!!! I tried watching the livestream this morning, but it kept crashing my web browsers. Happened like 20 times. Super pissed! Tried restarting my computer, but no luck. Any ideas? Guess I'm just going to work on something for a bit and be there in spirit. Sorry I couldn't be there guys. Really bums me out. I'll try to watch it on demand later I guess. Looking forward to seeing what all you guys create!

Thanks
    ya havin trouble with these, gonna do alot moree.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to agelaos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    looking good, Agelaos!

Here's mine! definite improvement, but need to push it moar!

Crimson Daggers

27. The Following User Says Thank You to petitemistress For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    here is the 3 i did this morning kinda bull shited the glass one though. : P

what you guys think?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Undeadartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 907 Posts
    Worked more on my previous still life!

All you guys are doin a lot better! Just keeeeep PUSHING IT!
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Delicious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    worked one more hour on the still life - now i hate bananas. :E

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,055 Posts
    started a new setup of still life since that persimmon fruit wasn't working out where i placed it (on top of my computer tower lol). anyways this is just a magnifying glass w/ a metal handle and a ps3 controller. I plan on adding something with more color into the mix. :3
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

Thanks
    ok, my second still, basically this is a BOSS lotion (I attached the picture of one as a refference) and its reflecting my room while being on a pillow.

I always have a hard time with colors, and as you can see I cant seem to get the details right, must keep on practicing! for evarr!! Anyways, gonna go back to anatomy for a while...
    Ride the Crimson Thunder!

Thanks
    Already have really cool pictures here.

Here is mine, and still unfinished. Hope I finish before the banana melt completely - disgusting.
    Attachment 831029
    Dado Almeida - Illustrator looking for Freelancing

Thanks
    I am going to fail all of my exams. because of this still life.

BUT I learnt a tooonnnn of stuff from this, like
    1) glass and metal are severe weak spots
    2) never ever start painting until the lines are solid. just. never. and no, it wont just work out this time shut the fuck up and fix the perspective on that glass >:0
    3) I was stupid for putting off still lifes until now. always do what you're afraid of.
    4) apples taste better after spending 6 hours painting them

I also wish I'd put more thought into the objects/composition, but it was fun painting the apple reflections.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lowkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That looks amazing Lowkey gj

39. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexTooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Coming a bit late, I have still some catching-up to do, Dave is doing such a great thing with those livestreams; anyway here's my take at stilllife

Attachment 831042

Thanks
    a little of hogarth, a little of me. i couldn't seem to gather the courage tackling a still life right now.... i know.. i'm weak. you'll all have to excuse me for today.

Crimson Daggers

Thanks
    Amazing! I can see everyone riding the crimson thunder. keep on going, pushing. climbing and don't stop until you need to recharge that thunder by feeding it some blood soaked studies! 8)

I had no lamp-related fatalities this time!

Tried to work differently this morning as my penalty for sleeping in 10 minutes. D:

-Jumped into color headfirst instead of starting with greyscale.
    - Switched my subjects up to being a juggling ball and a Plastic surprise egg ordiment.
    -Hit myself in the face with a cat.

Thanks
    Sorry I missed you guys this morning, I'm in the midst of a pretty big move and it's unfortunately taking up all of my time. I'll be sure to sit down and continue my still life tonight. Everyone is doing awesome. Kudos.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domo arigato For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 129 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 108 ... LastLast