Sketchbook: Crimson Daggers - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 129 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread: Crimson Daggers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey gang,

I'm online doing some life painting on livestream. Not trying to trump what Dave's got going on... I just thought it would be cool to chat with you guys and see what all of you are up to for a day/

if interested:

http://www.livestream.com/domoarigatowondersteam

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a little video. Worth Fighting For, Judas Priest. I feel it kinda relates to what we're trying to accomplish here, after all, aren't some things worth fighting for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsuzrqgO0Gs

(BTW, how do I embed stuff here?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple studies from this morning and this evening.

Name:  Loomis head studies 11-16-09.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  254.6 KB

Some see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I just try to see the glass!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dudes, sent out an email. Still building the schedule action for the streams! I'm just having trouble setting things up and doin freelance then sleepin. Sleep is strugglin so I don't know if I'll be able to make it tomorrow. I'm going to try and get up... in 2 hours but I don't think thats happenin. Theres gonna be more than one morning study stream soon though so you wont have to be alone if I can't make it for whatever reason. But I think once we got a solid routine goin it shouldn't be so bad to maintain. The Crimson Daggers are the fuckin best though... Can't believe it! But I see it and its awesome! Can't wait til this is just an unstoppable force of nature destroying all laziness D:

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really feel sorry for you, Dave. Having troubles to fall asleep is something I suffer to from time to time. Especially when I worked until going to bed or when I'm thinking about projects or characters. I hope you're going better soon.

But how do you manage to get up after sleeping not long enough? I always tend to sleep to much when I'm in trouble falling asleep. O.O

As announced I tried doing a still-life from imagination. I totally fucked up. I call this "Sinking Ship" >XD

If anyone can see what my main problem is: please tell me. I am not able to analyze it.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Melfey View Post
    ..I tried doing a still-life from imagination.

..If anyone can see what my main problem is: please tell me.
    The main problem is that you are drawing still life from imagination. Nothing else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by .:WoLf:. View Post
    The main problem is that you are drawing still life from imagination. Nothing else.
    For me still lifes doesnt end in themselves. I don't do still lifes to do fine art. From painting still lifes I hope to get a better feeling for realistic colours and shapes. It should be possible to draw an orange-glowing star, a beige cup and a small bamboo on a blue drapery... from imagination, if you really learned something from your still life paintings. Because otherwise I have to ask myself: why exercising still lifes? To be able to copy references? Is this really everything I can learn from still lifes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For me still lifes doesnt end in themselves. I don't do still lifes to do fine art. From painting still lifes I hope to get a better feeling for realistic colours and shapes. It should be possible to draw an orange-glowing star, a beige cup and a small bamboo on a blue drapery... from imagination, if you really learned something from your still life paintings. Because otherwise I have to ask myself: why exercising still lifes? To be able to copy references? Is this really everything I can learn from still lifes?
    then what you're doing is NOT a still life, don't get me wrong, its pretty good, but in order to get something from your imagination going you need your brain to be able to compare it to something real, hence why we study still life, so we can save refference material into our brains and be able to pull it out anytime we need it

Ride the Crimson Thunder!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elnazareno View Post
    then what you're doing is NOT a still life, don't get me wrong, its pretty good, but in order to get something from your imagination going you need your brain to be able to compare it to something real, hence why we study still life, so we can save refference material into our brains and be able to pull it out anytime we need it
    That's not what melfey's saying. She's saying that she does still lifes to retain information to refer to later when she is working from imagination.

Some see the glass half full. Others see it half empty. I just try to see the glass!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to darkly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elnazareno View Post
    May be I missunderstand the meaning of your words. But practicing still lifes, only to save reference material in our brains (instead of how colours and lights act, how shapes are created, perspective) - then it would be even more stupid to do some still lifes from tea pots, fruits and things like that. Because I don't need those references for fantasy and scifi illustrations or art. I try to understand textures, forms and lights. Therefore I did this "still life from imagination" thing: to controll if I memorized what I learned about light, values, colours and so on. This is why a still-life from imagination - or from memory - makes absolutly sence to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the still life I have been working on. I worked on this for so long and it still looks like crap! I need to do more studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darkly View Post
    That's not what melfey's saying. She's saying that she does still lifes to retain information to refer to later when she is working from imagination.
    There I go putting my foot in my mouth. Maybe that's not quite what melfey's saying, but that's what I think they (still lifes) are for.

melfey: "how colours and lights act, how shapes are created, perspective", etc. That is all reference. When you're doing stuff from your head what do you refer to? Things that you have observed and burned into your memory. So anything can be reference. Anyway, nice painting. Can't quite figure what's wrong with it. Maybe the lighting? That's what "non imagination" still lifes help you figure out. Maybe that's what Elnazareno was trying to say. Well that being said. I'd better go work on something to burn into my memory.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some head and skull studies from this morning:
    Name:  study091117_loomis heads.jpg
Views: 2280
Size:  89.2 KB
    Name:  study091117_loomis skulls.jpg
Views: 2080
Size:  69.3 KB
    Next time I do the head studies I'm going to flip the Loomis page so I'm not always studying 3/4 view head construction facing the left.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some self portraits from life, because my values suck. These aren't good either but... ahhh moar. D:
    The light was just shitty today for a still life so I did these. =)

Name:  life 0015.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  309.5 KB

Don't search for likeness... you won't find it. ^^

I can't wait to drink the milk of awesomeness, Dave.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to blexano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    continuing on my previous image. That's enough still life for now..

Edit: I realized now after uploading that the orange is too light and needs more saturation. I need to learn to take breaks so I notice this stuff earlier!

Last edited by Xinos; November 17th, 2009 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got Rubins' "The Human Figure" in the mail today so I'm gonna be doing studies from that for a while. It presents the muscles and the way they interlock in a really clear way, breaking it down from the bone up. So far I like it a lot

The next step would have been trying to attach the muscles to the skeleton frame from memory but I ran out of time D:. But thats my plan for pretty much every section in the book

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lowkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today studies (plus) a how-to!

Name:  Tuto_AnalyzeDraw.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  498.8 KB

Dado Almeida - Illustrator looking for Freelancing

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dadoalmeida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man you guys are blowing up! So much great stuff to get even more stoked on. Trying to work on the Loomis frame/muscles, but I think I'm going to have to try that using lines to draw muscles thing. Thanks dado! Gonna go back and check Collywobbles post on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been doing bridgman/loomis studies in my sketchbook but just to lazy to scan. Havent set up my life drawing area yet so ive did these bumskee studies from his sketchbook cause i suck at color and he is the shit!!! Ride on Daggers everything looks awesome!!!

Last edited by Lee; November 17th, 2009 at 11:08 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    still trying to tackle those loomis heads

PORTFOLIO
    My Sketchbook
    Leslie Van den Broeck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well here's what I've been working on. Think I'm going to move onto either a still life, or some "life" drawing (from photos) and incorporating the muscles. I'm going to attempt to get close to what Collywobbles and Dado were suggesting.

Name:  darkly loomis muscle on manikin study 11-17-09.jpg
Views: 2708
Size:  312.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    May be I missunderstand the meaning of your words. But practicing still lifes, only to save reference material in our brains (instead of how colours and lights act, how shapes are created, perspective) - then it would be even more stupid to do some still lifes from tea pots, fruits and things like that. Because I don't need those references for fantasy and scifi illustrations or art. I try to understand textures, forms and lights. Therefore I did this "still life from imagination" thing: to controll if I memorized what I learned about light, values, colours and so on. This is why a still-life from imagination - or from memory - makes absolutly sence to me.
    Ok, I think I understand now what you are saying, I just think everything is important, and that if I can paint a teapot and an orange in a proper way, I will be able to paint a giant floating porcelain castle, as well as some bioengineered killer monster oranges from hell, I'm just saying that for me everything is important, (especially since I'm practically starting from 0 after a long time of not doing anything) but I completely respect your position on the matter.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Elnazareno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Planes study.. constant work is needed

Check out my SKETCHBOOK.... leave me a comment.. help me get better
    -_- miss you glen angus -_-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn daggers everyone has got some great stuff there is a major improvment for everyone, cant wait to see how everyone looks in about a year or so but hey keep up with it all will post more stuff soon

These words of encouragment have been brought to you by Undeadartist

The more you know!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Undeadartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doing more stuff, its been a busy day, Im working on something of my own creation but its taking me forever, anyways...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey fellow daggers! So I spent most of the day Sunday traveling (had to drive to Reno to pick up a friend from the airport) but I printed out some of Darkly's mannequin sheets and I did a few ultra quick sketches in my sketchbook. they mostly suck, but it was practice. I got started on my still life last night, but ended up having to scrap it cause I had to move everything when I went to bed. Gonna start again tonight. It was good practice trying it out last night. I think I might just do the cloth, as a start. It's been about ten years since the last time I did still life and that was done in traditional media. Just trying to get into the groove as they say.

Anyway, everyone is doing a fantastic job and I will be posting what I've got tonight! Hope you feel better soon, Dave!

CA Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=173180

DeviantArt account: http://chrysshart.deviantart.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/chrysshart

E-Mail: Chrysshart@gmail.com

I'm not the best, but if you like what you see I'm looking for freelance work and commissions. Working daily to improve. Feel free to contact me!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everybody, just wanted to let you know that I'm not sick, just was pretty dead from a week of hardly any sleep hahaha. Slept for a while today and finally feel good... Not to mention I got a lot of stuff planned now with the help of fellow Daggers! Really can't wait to let you all know !

'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Delicious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    didn't make something during stream time, but on my way and during todays
    rpg session instead - so still drawing/painting something everyday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im still so far behind on coloring it hurts, but nothing some crazy studies wont cure over time, at the very least, I think got the proportions right... seriously if it wasn't for all of you guys i think I might be sinking into oblivion, my most sincere thanks, any suggestion on where I could begin improving is more than welcome and accepted! and I'm getting a tablet asap!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Daggers, well I started a new still life - set up light etc, so I can paint it everyday - it's slow slow days with this, taking me forever - but with every colour choice I feel I am learning something.

Took ppls advice and used 100% opacity at the moment - looks kinda shitty right now, but I hope it'll improve as I continue - it was so hard just starting argggh - gonna do life painting everyday, cos it's so freaking hard for me

Please please any advice for a noob ^_^

Page 10 of 129 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 52