Thanks

Arrow Your Favorite Inspirations!

what are some of your guys' favorite inspirations?
    ie: soundtracks, books, websites, movies, artist.......etc

mine would have to be, Lunar: Silver star story complete soundtrack, and pretty much anything star wars and final fantasy

:p

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Recently Ive started drawing to classical pieces by Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart and others. Gives you sort of a relaxing feel, its nice.
    Final fantasy music is great to, but I havent got any FF OSTs.

I also find bands like The Smiths, Led Zeppelin, Deep purple, Pink Floyd and Rolling stones to be very inspirational.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    For music I tend to listen to a lot of the old seattle style grunge like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains. I also listen to Pink Floyd, Stained, System of a Down and Radiohead.

For literture, my favorate books of all time were the Dune series. Ever since I read those, I could never watch watch Star Wars without constantly thinking how Dune was so much better.

For movies I have just two and that's all I need; Alien and 2001: A Space Odyssee.
    Last edited by N D Hill; February 17th, 2004 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks
    the band Stabbing Westward... oh shit what's the name of the cd? um... i think it's.... the self titled one, or ungod... that and darkest days. really inspirational. just tune it out. just try to tune it out, it'll suck you back in. amazing.
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Thanks
    would have to say photo's, books and TV.
    www.dominion79.co.uk
    dancing and drawing!

Thanks
    everything

the deep, dark, menacing jungles of Australia.
    Thanks
    donnie darko! that movie freaks me out so damn much. :eek:
    art is fun and addictive. like coffee. I like coffee too.

Thanks
    ok hypsters, following your leads... for inspiration i listen to hall and fuckin oats! booyah!

Thanks
    Industrial music. Conversations with my old art director. Tim Hildebrandts art although i think he is a walking cliché and that he hasn´t done anything good since the first star wars poster.

The fact that art is the only thing im even vaguely good at helps too.

Thanks
    art work by adam hughes and adam warren, um most monster movies(american werewolf in london-classic)
    For music i find apocalyptica songs are good, and classical music, defiantly gets you focused.

P.S. does anyone know the classical music that they played in star trek: first contact? its by belarius, or belarus, didnt catch it, they shaped the theme music around it, and the captain mentions it, cant find it for the life of me
    my gallery

Member: Team Insect Battle X-Treme ( scorpion squad, mutated monstrosity platoon)

Thanks
    Yeah, music, books, films, like said above. But also random patterns in nature, like the skin of a tree, patterns made by oil in water, clouds, cracks in walls... you get the picture.

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Anger inspires me. I guess thats why I like to be mad and argue with people. Its just fun.

Thanks

Thanks
    i find portishead, especially the live in NY album, great for inspiration. theres so much space between the music, trip hop lets my ideas breathe. normally i listen to metal/industrial but i find its no good for incubating ideas, it fills my head too much.
    ...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    I have waaay too many inspirations to list all of them, too many favorite movies and too many favorite books. So, I'll just give a couple.

I have to list the first two Oddworld games as my number 1 inspiration... (what a shocker!)

Books: When I was a kid, I loved Animorphs, sad as it is, so I gotta list it. Then there's Clive Barker's Weaveworld, Harry Potter, Clan of the Cave Bear, Hunchback of Notre Dame and many classics.

Movies: I love too many movies, but I'll list a few: The first Matrix, LOTR, Harry Potter, Neverending Story, Lion King, Chocolat, The Craft, Alien... I'm sure I'll think of more at random points during the day that I missed.

I also have to say that I'm really inspired by biology/zoology... I have too many animal facts stored in my brain, I really do.

-Sapph

Thanks
    This is gonna sound so crunchy-granola (esp. since I am with a lotta y'all for being into dark electronic music and film), but getting outside is a great inspiration for me.

Messed up trees, lush streambanks covered in moss, weird rock formations, grungy streets...all of it totally feeds my work, even if it's not environments (a character has to live -somewhere- after all). Going on trips to the Scottish Highlands, the Utah desert, the Sierra Nevada mountains, it's all hugely inspirational to me. Now, if only I had a gig that directly required study in any of those places, I could write my trips off on my taxes...

Nothing clears my own artists' blocks like a good hike.

Or a long, hot shower.

Or a Guinness. Or five.

-atomick
    --------------------------------------------
    freelance imagemaker + digital experience designer
    http://www.atomick.net
    --------------------------------------------

Thanks

Thanks
    Honestly? Celtic music and the odd but interesting things my friends say throughout our daily conversations. x.x
    It's better to live on your feet than to die on your knees.

Thanks
    I like to work on my Camaro at times, helps me unwind at least.

Music:
    Loreena McKennit, Danzig, Pink FLoyd, Led Zeppelin, Misfits, the Moody Blues, Johnny Cash...

Movies:
    The movie Bullit for some odd reason. JFK (Oliver Stone). The Original Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I have all the Original Series of Star Trek and ALL of the Next Generation... I cycle through them over and over; they're on in the background.

Whatever:
    I like taking the camera and the Canoe down the stream and snapping pics of the gnarled, massive cyprus oak and pines (they're all in the water with root knees all over the dry land sticking up as high as 5 feet; its like an alien planet). Heh, I also draw alot after I do my weight-lifting routines.
    "They were born, they grew up in the gutters, they went to work at twelve, they passed through a brief blossoming period of beauty and sexual desire, they married at twenty, they were middle-aged at thirty, they died, for the most part, at sixty. Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer, and, above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds."

Sketchbook
    Alex Jones

Thanks
    Old abandonned factory interiors, rusting scrap machinery TANKS, forest, WINTER OUTDOORS, Jazzanova.

Thanks
    the kind of music that helps me relax and give inspiration are Thomas Newman soundtracks, like from Finding Nemo or Road to Perdition. you should try it!
    -I am my imaginary friend.

- omg ftw teh sketchbook -Updated 28-01-2005- w00t pwn3d

Thanks
    My hyperactive imagination is usually enough for me.

If not, then practically anything will suffice. See an odd random pattern, see something in it. Draw it... or just get my hyperactive imagination working on it. woo!

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Oh yes, I have to add, the Harry Potter soundtrack (The Sorcerer's Stone), Chocolat soundtrack, Pirates of the Caribbean, and, oddly enough Eiffel 65 (weird techno-ish music, but it can put me in a good frame of mind for drawing!)...

Thanks
    Musically I like things that don't distract, but lend a mood that I can work in. Some of my favorite music to work while listening to, and that I would very much reccomend to others, is 2 cds worth of didgeridoo/australian aborigine music, an album of voodoo music called (I think) Rhythms of Rapture, the Waking Life soundtrack, Peter Gabriel's Passion, and anything interesting and out of the ordinary. I really adore things that involve instruments and sounds from a wide range of cultures (especially non u.s./european). I'm also especially fond of industrial, power noise, and experimental electronica, the soundscapes create themes in my head that just flow into art.

Books and movies, I'm a sucker for fantasy and scifi. With books, the words give me images and with movies (unless they're incredibly well done) I'll be inspired to improve upon or redo designs.

Thanks
    This forum.

Sitting anywhere watching people, wishing I could freeze time to draw everyone of them.

Nature.

Ancient architecture.

The play of color and light on anything.

Myth and Legend.

Scent.

Closing my eyes and feeling and/or hearing something... the wind, silk, sand, the distant sound of wind chimes.

I've found even severe pain inspires me (non intentional)

Anything can inspire me, if my mindset is right.
    --marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    Looking at my Frazetta and brom books.

Icon: A retrospective by Frank Frazetta
    Legacy: Selected paintings & drawings by Frank Frazetta
    Testament: The life & art of Frank Frazetta

Broms Dark werks and offerings.

scottg
    nefandus.com