Wacom Intuos4 medium vs large

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wacom Intuos4 medium vs large

So... I was giong to purchase my wacom tablet today and I couldn't figure out something. If you are drawing a lot or trying to improve your art and one day go pro... How much of a difference in terms of use is there between the medium and the large size tablets? I just need to know if it's worth spending the extra 200$.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A large tablet doesn't make it any more professional.

Personally, I favor the medium sized tablets.
    A large one requires too much movement of my arm to make a stroke.
    I can make the same stroke with just my wrist on a medium sized tablet.

Ultimately, it comes down to the way you like to draw.
    Try them both out, and see what works best for you.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSillustration For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It doesn't quite matter the size in the professional world, but I prefer using a large for comfort.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to c-hsu-run For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both

I was really confused but you're right, I'll go try them out

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just to put in my two cents, I was working on a 6x8 intuos3, and I just made the switch to the large intuos4, and when I had to go back for a day, it felt wrong. I like the large, and I like how it relates to my monitor setups (I had a dual monitor system at work, a wide screen at home). But it's all in what you like the feel of, go try it out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For my first tablet I was in the same situation, I wanted a tablet, really wanted a large but money was an issue and ended up going with the medium. I think the size is perfect, it doesn't feel at all too small and its exactly the same size as my lap top so if I need to take it on the go, they both can fit in the same case.

Assume that just starting to going pro will probably take a few years and by the time you are a successful pro you can afford to buy the large and they might have a new version by then anyway. If you can't afford the large now then go for the medium, I'm very happy with mine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber Alexander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I swear by my large. It's not as affordable as the medium, but i like the larger size because i work on a large monitor. The two fit together perfectly and i can't imagine being without it anymore. Agree with the above posters, if you know what you want and can afford it, go with large, if you don't, go medium. Trying them out first is a good thing, of course .

- When you cannot win a large victory, learn to settle for a small one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The idea of a large appeals to me only because I use the same size for the Intuos 3. I enjoy the larger because the tracking of the distance to my monitor is pretty much the same. If I move one inch on my table, its pretty much one inch on my screen. Feels more natural to me.
    Although the new feature to the Intuos 4 in any of the sizes is the "Precision" mode. So even if you have a 30" monitor and a small tablet once in precision mode the stroke you lay down will be totally relative as I mentioned above. Once out of that mode it will go back to the default tracking, and still save you desk space.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Andrews For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JessiBean View Post
    Just to put in my two cents, I was working on a 6x8 intuos3, and I just made the switch to the large intuos4, and when I had to go back for a day, it felt wrong. I like the large, and I like how it relates to my monitor setups (I had a dual monitor system at work, a wide screen at home). But it's all in what you like the feel of, go try it out.
    Thanks Jessibean, that's actually a big help. It makes sense that it would relate more to the screen in a larger tablet. I decided to go play with some at the local best buy type shop today so I can see which feels better. In either case it will be a learning curve for me since I've only ever done minimal art with a tablet, mostly with a mouse lol. I just kind of hate spending money on myself, so I wanted to see what others thougth before I did so. Just about had an aneurysm when I saw the cost of it and the computer I'm getting and monitors. But it'll be worth it. And you guys are all a huge help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber Alexander View Post
    For my first tablet I was in the same situation, I wanted a tablet, really wanted a large but money was an issue and ended up going with the medium. I think the size is perfect, it doesn't feel at all too small and its exactly the same size as my lap top so if I need to take it on the go, they both can fit in the same case.

Assume that just starting to going pro will probably take a few years and by the time you are a successful pro you can afford to buy the large and they might have a new version by then anyway. If you can't afford the large now then go for the medium, I'm very happy with mine.
    This is true too... Hmm. The only reason I am debating it now is because it's like a massive discount through work to get them. And so I'm debating whether I hsould just spend the money and get the large for a lesser cost than I would in the store or be cheap. But honestly, it's good to know medium is good for laptops as I have both a laptop and desktop setup now (I love video games, so the desktop is needed hehe)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Andrews View Post
    The idea of a large appeals to me only because I use the same size for the Intuos 3. I enjoy the larger because the tracking of the distance to my monitor is pretty much the same. If I move one inch on my table, its pretty much one inch on my screen. Feels more natural to me.
    Although the new feature to the Intuos 4 in any of the sizes is the "Precision" mode. So even if you have a 30" monitor and a small tablet once in precision mode the stroke you lay down will be totally relative as I mentioned above. Once out of that mode it will go back to the default tracking, and still save you desk space.
    I had no idea about the precision mode. Clearly I need to do more reading. Thank you so much for telling me that!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 2