Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Thanks
    I just had an opportunity to pick up this class on-demand.
    The new tech is very nice and seems to stream much better also.

My only complaint about the class was that the title may need to be clarified. This class was more of a brief and cursory overview of anatomy for the beginning student has never had any exposure to figure anatomy.

For an artist who has some knowledge or exposure to anatomy, Vandruff never really gets into the meat of the it all. I was sort of expecting a lecture on how to draw anatomy, in particular simplifying muscles and bones into basic shapes but I think that was probably beyond the scope of this basic overview.

The first hour primarily covers Vandruff's background and his path to discovering Bridgeman. The remaining 3-4 hours speeds through muscle groups without going into how some muscles work as levers, pulleys, the different type of bone joints, muscle heads and bellies which really describe the shape of the muscle as seen on the body.

Overall I think the lecture is a good cursory guide for the artist completely new to figure anatomy to help them figure out what references they could be studying on their own.

I'd really like to see some more in-depth lectures relating how particular muscles look when contracted vs relaxed and how to simplify complex muscle groups using basic shapes.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusalka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    How do you go about purchasing on-demands anyway?

nevermind...I figured it out.

SKETCHBOOK

PORTFOLIO

Thanks
    This is a good intro course for beginners and people who just aren't getting anatomy. This is not for intermediate to advanced artists unless you're looking for a refresher or a kick in the ass. Primarily it's about general forms and anatomical detail, and shows how to supplement Bridgman with more detailed anatomy books. There are a couple drawing strategies that are given a brief showing but it's more about showing the locations of muscles. Some pictures of anatomy in actual artworks are shown, mostly by Frazetta, which demonstrate that anatomy is only valuable if it is usable.
    Last edited by armando; January 13th, 2011 at 10:09 PM.
    Sketchbook

What is the right thing to do?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks

anatomy class

thats cool. ill be getting this as well. please make more videos for beginners.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rusalka View Post
    I just had an opportunity to pick up this class on-demand.
    The new tech is very nice and seems to stream much better also.

My only complaint about the class was that the title may need to be clarified. This class was more of a brief and cursory overview of anatomy for the beginning student has never had any exposure to figure anatomy.

For an artist who has some knowledge or exposure to anatomy, Vandruff never really gets into the meat of the it all. I was sort of expecting a lecture on how to draw anatomy, in particular simplifying muscles and bones into basic shapes but I think that was probably beyond the scope of this basic overview.

The first hour primarily covers Vandruff's background and his path to discovering Bridgeman. The remaining 3-4 hours speeds through muscle groups without going into how some muscles work as levers, pulleys, the different type of bone joints, muscle heads and bellies which really describe the shape of the muscle as seen on the body.

Overall I think the lecture is a good cursory guide for the artist completely new to figure anatomy to help them figure out what references they could be studying on their own.

I'd really like to see some more in-depth lectures relating how particular muscles look when contracted vs relaxed and how to simplify complex muscle groups using basic shapes.
    I know exactly what you mean. I had been looking for a great figure drawing book for artists for some time and many just weren't cutting it. I love Bridgeman, but some of his drawings are hard to decipher in his book to figure out exact muscles shapes. I had been looking forever for a proper figure drawing book for artists because many out there may as well be anatomy for med students with their lack of simplification and depicting movement and feeling.

I had a figure drawing professor this past year who was astounding and I've been trying to find books that are similar with how he taught me. (apparently, Andrea Wicklund at Valve may have been a student of his) I found this book called "Figure Drawing: Design and Invention" by Michael Hampton and I HIGHLY recommend it. It teaches gesture, structural form, and simplified anatomy groups excellently. It's a great book to get the fundamentals down properly and then spring board you into much more lively and detailed rendering.

http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Drawing.../dp/0615272819

Another one that teaches basically the same things, but doesn't have quite as much breadth of information is ImagineFX's anatomy special with ron lemen. If you like this magazine you'll love the previous book I mentioned.

http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.u...ineFX-Anatomy/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Neeqs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Can someone tell me how long the presentation still Will be up?still worth it to purchase it at this time?

Thanks
    Hi all, having trouble getting this to work. I downloaded the play.jnlp file, but when I tried running it a Java loading screen pops up, disappears, then nothing. According to the blackboard/elluminate support portal my OS and Java stuff is up to date, so I don't know what's going on here. Help me out anyone?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7