Sketch Queen (advice please)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sketch Queen (advice please)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketch Queen (advice please)

Well, I sketched her today and I was hoping to get some constructive advice on her from someone. I have never really asked about my art before so... here goes! Just be nice, no need to say it sucks just tell me what could use some work. Keep in mind I do stylize a bit.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You look like you've taken the time to do some anatomy studies. Very good.

A couple mistakes on that snuck by you though. The leg that is closest seems to be twisted at the knee. The thigh is connected to the body properly and at a good comfortable angle. But then at the knee the leg twists and the lower leg is facing more toward the viewer. This makes it look broken or at the very least uncomfortable.

Also the arm propped up on the skulls seems to be a bit meaty and may be short. I'm not sure on the length. The thickness could just be throwing me off there.

Welcome to CA. You've lucked out and found a great art resource here. Soak in the wonderful advice floating around and put it to use. It really will help a lot. I know it's helped me over the years.

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The markings on the leg really throw things off. They look like contour lines, and the curvature makes it look like the knee is pointed away from the viewer, and yet the calf is straight vertical. The hand on the thigh doesn't really help matters a lot, and there's a bit too much overlap of the calf for that angle, heightening the effect. This is really the biggest problem in the scene.

A few other little things, her right leg (partially hidden) looks extremely thick. Look up some reference to see how to construct a folded leg like that. It's also hard to tell the details of her environment aside from the skulls. Is she sitting on a bed? On a sheet on the floor? I can't tell at this point. Likewise, it's hard to tell if that structure behind her is a door or just decoration, since we don't have a lot of visual cues. For instance, if it were a doorway, I would expect to see thickness to the passage, and some indication of what's beyond it. If decoration, thickness again is useful for showing that it's actually shallow.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for the advice! When I get the refined sketch going I will work on her legs and arms and get the background further defined. Thank you so much for the wonderful observations, after staring at things for so long it's hard to notice flaws yourself.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.