Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Tim - beautiful improvements.

I've been putting a few hours into this painting. Still have a quite a bit of work to go on the ship (obviously), but I'm wondering if the colors and values could use some tweaking. I feel like I keep making the same mistakes when it comes to color, but I can't put my finger on it.

EOW 125 sailing into harbour

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auden100 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Auden100 Pay attention to where you're putting saturation. For this type of composition only the nearest elements should be really bright,everything else get's washed out. With all the great detail you have toward the back of the boat the intensity was too high. Also the foreground fishing vessel needs to be more vibrant. Here's a quick adjust, I'm sure You'll take it a million times farther. Might I also Add that I love your painting so far. Plus your skill made this image really easy do color adjusting.
    Last edited by reversenorm; November 14th, 2009 at 02:54 AM. Reason: spelling

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reversenorm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Right, So I probably should take my own advice about saturation. Here's my actual final with thumb Included
    Last edited by reversenorm; November 15th, 2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: adding the thumb

7. The Following User Says Thank You to reversenorm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Auden: that's looking pretty good to me, take it further an im sure it will really start to show, as the other person said desaturation is one good way to show depth and highlight detail. Doing a depth of view type blur, like a "surface blur" on far away objects/past horizon might also give that affect, but i love where your goin with it!

Here is an update on mine, fixed some perspective issues, started greyscaling, and messing with other stuff, coming along nice but i still feel something is wrong. maybe it's the design of the ship, or maybe something else. Any ideas guys?

Thanks
    Hello All
    I hope that I have done this all correctly, the image itself is somewhat of an accomplishment for me (since I've never finished a piece.) I hope to contribute something every week so I can improve my skills by practical application.

<3 Trapiki

icon
    Tempus est Volatilis

My DeviantART Page

Thanks
    hi, here is my entry for this week.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Battousaii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Natzuur-JK View Post
    Auden: that's looking pretty good to me, take it further an im sure it will really start to show, as the other person said desaturation is one good way to show depth and highlight detail. Doing a depth of view type blur, like a "surface blur" on far away objects/past horizon might also give that affect, but i love where your goin with it!

Here is an update on mine, fixed some perspective issues, started greyscaling, and messing with other stuff, coming along nice but i still feel something is wrong. maybe it's the design of the ship, or maybe something else. Any ideas guys?

Your perspective is off, the whole left side of the image should probably be shunted down a bit :p. Get a grid on there, if you're using photoshop you can filter>vanishing point and construct one pretty quickly.

Thanks
    You sure? its a 2 point perps, here is my grid-over, i see none that are majorly off, few that are just just very slightly off. I had an original grid but lost it due to layer merging. =(

both vanishing points are off screen slightly as per my original thumbnail.

Thanks
    Yay, the quality here is a bit insane for me, but here's my first attempt. Another trade morning in the port of Rhodes, getting back to normality after the day everything changed

Final entry
    Last edited by Abelo; November 15th, 2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: image update

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abelo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I was thinking about doing and airship harbor, but I guess many peeps thought about that,
    I ended up on deciding on a sorta asian inspired venice with small stream boats going into harbor/dock.

Don't know if I'm gonna finish this
    Last edited by Incinerated; November 14th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
    "Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

|Deviantart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Battousaii, I love this piece, I think you should give it a little more time just to tighten up the main focal point, maybe one of the ships, the image is great but one of the ships or your main subject would read better in focus, just a little so our eyes are drawn directly to it. I hope this helps.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Abelo, that's beautiful, I love the silhouettes and the strange rocks! Nice piece.
    Incinerated, Great feeling, looks like a shady place to do business, awesome I hope you finish.
    Here's more on mine, still working...

Thanks
    Turns out I do have time so I am back in this one. Not finished yet but made improvements for sure.

Thanks
    Wow good stuff here, love the diversity!

Here's my wip1...and hell if I know how to color this thing!
    Since there is no atmosphere in space (obviously), I'm not even sure if the color becomes more desaturated with bigger distance,
    or objects just become less detailed. Plus the bounce light is a real bugger... curse you Universe!

Thanks
    Since there is no atmosphere in space (obviously), I'm not even sure if the color becomes more desaturated with bigger distance,
    or objects just become less detailed. Plus the bounce light is a real bugger... curse you Universe!
    Look at colourful nebulas at gazillions of lightyears away, are they less saturated? There are no air particles in space, thus no sfumatto. Besides, nebulas rock! Put a big colourful nebula in your life, or in your background layer at least

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast