Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    goddard... nice work, wonderful atmosphere.. I'd love to see you push it farther!
    Joshua A. Davis

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This sounds like a good topic. Sadly, I think Im going to take a break this week.
    I'll still try give advice and critiques if anyone needs some, but don't expect an entry this week.
    Im liking what Im seeing so far. An interesting mix of both old and new.

The pits of hades known as the Antelope Valley
    Thanks
    Here's the first WIP for my version of this EOW. I am going the route of a small boating village in an amazonian setting, but I am thinking some kind of humanoid alien race lives here... I dunno. We'll see how this develops. ^^

Thanks

WIP #2

k, more detailin' tonight... pushing it farther tomorrow... any suggestions?
    Joshua A. Davis

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshDArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sweet subject!

Some crits and what not:

MattB - I like the space harbor concept and the ship designs. I'd focus on the foreground/background separation try and create some distance between the two ships with your values.

Kellyx - OoOh! Futuristic Tokyo sweet! Images of Bladerunner spring to mind. Look forward to seeing where this goes.

ccsears - Yea my socks are officially rocked. Fucking sweet, hope ya finish.

PsychDragon - Not alot to crit, Keep going!

Goddard - Love the idea, great colors too! I'd try and clean it up a bit if you can. Oh and don't forgot the icon!!!

JoshDArtist - I really like the start, a suggestion? Right now my eye is being led towards the bottom right quadrant, I'd add a point of interest down there.

Well I really screwed the pooch last round, forgot the icon. Won't do that again. This time I'm gonna go with the hidden pirate cave, maybe an old abandoned shack, row boat, skeletons, not quite sure where this one will take me...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t i m For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 553 Posts
    well, it looks like i'm getting attacked by a bunch of deadlines right now, so i've had to take a few shortcuts to "finish" this. i hosted these images on my flickr account, so i hope that works for you Ms. Chaos.

1500 pixels wide, hope it's not too bad for you guys.
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2704/...b1259876_o.jpg
    Attachment 827404

icon
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2714/...af5f6db4_o.jpg
    Attachment 827405

anyway, probably my last chance to offer feedback on this stuff this week so...

MattB I'd rotate the image a little bit. right now the whole thing is too 45 degrees, which tends to flatten out the image. if your stuff is on layers, i'd also consider making the harbor bigger--to the point where it maybe gets cropped by an edge of the picture. just to push the composition one way or another. all depends on what you want, but i think a gentler angle feels more like "sailing" (to me at least)

Josh Davis Thanks man. i'd do some combination of these things...
    1) make the ship much bigger in comparison to the canyon.
    2) make the canyon much bigger than the ship
    3) add some perspective by breaking up the cloud shapes in the distance so that there are some smaller ones in the background and larger ones in the foreground. right now they are all massed together into a shape that's kind of flattening out a little too much. just break them up and create some scale-perspective and overlaps and it will help a lot.

kellyx i like the colors in the rough because it looks either "Tron" or like a thermal image. i thought about this POV for a while too. i think it can work, but it will be a little tricky. just remember to do a kind of contrast in sizes--like a large ship in a narrow channel. chinese style boats do look cool so i'm looking forward to yours.

goddard11 Aivazovsky... look him up. here's a link to the google image search
    aivazovsky on google
    he's one of my favorite painters. does some awesome seascapes and beautiful nocturnal scenes. stunning work. i like yours because it reminds me of his work. you should get bonus points for the nocturne.

psychedragon are these old school traditional paints! go for broke man! right now, i'd just suggest planning your values carefully so it reads well. right now the sail of your boat is about the same value as the background. planning where your lightest lights and darkest darks will go is the key to pulling off a scene like this.

t i m pirate cave sounds kind of cool to me. could be some interesting lighting to play with on that one. will have to wait and see where you take it before i can offer any feedback though.

alright, back to the deadlines for me. good luck everyone.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks

revisiting a old idea

EOW 125 sailing into harbour

here is a painting I did a couple of years ago of a similar subject matter. I kind of want to revisit this world that I thought up so I'm going to do something similar.

chaosrocks let me know if this is okey

Here is the rough for my new one. It's at a port inspired by Victoria falls. This one will be in the middle of a rain-forest as a oppose to a desert cliff.
    Last edited by no_name_brand; November 12th, 2009 at 08:02 AM.
    "the Hispanic mechanic?"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no_name_brand For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yarrgh I feel a pirate incoming

Ok nice open ended topic chaos! My initial interpretation... I do luv an excuse to crank out a sci-fi theme.

EOW 125 sailing into harbour

AOB

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActsOfBob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    heres one i am currently working on. technically i started it the week before the competition was set, so therefore its not a competing image, but none the less, i hope youy enjoy. any crit is more than welcome

Thanks
    update:

Thanks for the crits
    Last edited by Matt_B; November 12th, 2009 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks

sailing into harbour wip 01

made an quick -sketch.(ca.1 hour)This topic just kept popping up in my head - i haven´t got much time this week though - but i´ll try to finish it...
    i didn´t used any reference on this - so probably i got a lot to work over on that ship... I want that lots of tiny sailers climb around ....dont know if it´s readable at the moment.
    Last edited by Vaghauk; November 12th, 2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: ...
    Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    these look great!! I love the cave start and these sailing crafts... the sub is looking great too!! I'll post more comments later and thank you for the comments!!!!! Still just messing around.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    I'm not going to keep all the small ships and I'm trying to make this look bad ass, not like this...
    Vaghauk, I love this!!
    Matt_B, looking much better and the rear end of your main vessel is a little off kilter where the round part is.
    ActsOfBob, great work, can't wait to see this finished
    t i m, Can't wait to see what you do with your cave!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, so many good entries!! I was trying to go for the interior view from the approaching ship since I never noticed any like that here but stacked against some of these dynamic wonders I've seen, it is looking bad. Early days yet though and I can make it nice in the end I hope.

Thanks
    kelly mind your value composition, you are losing the glow of the city.... and seeming to wash every thing out a bit... might wanna look at chinese junk, designs , the oriental edge on the flying ship is really cool.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

23. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast