Self-Portrait: Crits & Suggestions Please
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Self-Portrait: Crits & Suggestions Please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Self-Portrait: Crits & Suggestions Please

I'm growing stumped on how to move on with this peice, debating on strengthening the lines or strengthening the depth and colors with colored pencils (as I started)... or both.

My main focus is contour self portraits this is the 2nd one (creating 12 in order for my AP Portfolio class/college credit)

All crits and suggestions are welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Livoshka; November 9th, 2009 at 04:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! It looks great--the drawing is very accurate and assured.

If it were me, I'd keep the linework to a minimum on the next one and let the brushwork define the forms. Right now there's a "paint-by-numbers" feel to it that's killing it a bit. The other thing you might want to pay attention to is the warm/cool shifts across the form--the use of color feels a bit arbitrary at the moment.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Contour

Hello

Since it's a contour piece look to working the lines to better define the contour shapes, or use the color to do so. Color emphazies lines, and does not block out shapes.

Mr. D

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some lighting problems... like the colours feel a little random in terms of where the light would be falling on your face. maybe darkening a few and checking out some colour theory would really help you (Like, what colors read as 'far away' for us, etc). It looks like you're almost done. I wouldn't do anything to the lines...but definitely work on where your lights and darks are, and what Mr. D said.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissusHow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks you guys =) I agree with the points brought up (especially with looking like a color by number piece, my fault) Think I'll work more with underpaintings next time, maybe it will fix the problem with the random-feeling colorscheme. In this piece I feel at the moment the line and the color are competeing, they aren't complimenting eachother as well as I intend, maybe it will fix as i work with it more.

As for the lighting I will try and fix it with colored pencil (creating more depth and deeper shadows).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an updated version, more comments and criticisms are always welcome! I hope the 'color-by-number' effect has faded with the added values and such.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I see some symmetry problems, but there is No going back now.

You should wet all those shapes. Just move your brush along the contour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The colored pencil definitely helps to add some visual interest and texture, and de-emphasize somewhat the 'paint-by-numbers' feeling, however you could have pushed it farther. In the next one, try some more courageous colour choices for the coloured pencils; you were very conservative here, and pretty much just matched your colour pencils to the color of the painted areas underneath.

Next time - and I emphasize 'next time' because I think this one will only lose freshness and life if you keep poking at it - use what you know about contrasting colors, color temperature, secondaries (all that jazz) to create something with a lot more visual impact.

What if you used paint for all the cool colours, then all warm colors with the colored pencils? Or vice versa? Make small swatches and experiment. In particular, I'd try things like a very vivid underpainting - fuscia, lime, hit the whole crayon box - overlaid with neutral pencil tones. Then switch.. earth-tones in the paint, and very vivid colored pencil choices.

If you have free choice of materials, pick up a box of oil pastels and try those, they're stupid cheap.. essentially just artist-grade crayons. They lay down much more faster and more opaque than coloured pencils. You could try dry pastel as well, but the nice thing about oil pastels is that they're water-resistant, so you could work with the oil pastels, and go back to the paint, back and forth a little - the results would be a little unpredictable, but you aren't really going for predictable anyway.

Good luck and have fun and show us what you come up with!

____
    Ramie

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.