Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts

Icon IDW #116: CHOW/IDW CROSSOVER :: 2706 AD Jousting

IDW #116: CHOW/IDW CROSSOVER :: 2706 AD Jousting

Topic: 2706 AD Jousting

Background: The year is 2706 AD and the most popular sport in the solar system (and near by extra-solar outposts) is a bizarre revived form of jousting. The rules? Participants ride STEEDs, an invention of Hastilidium Inc, to mimic (and improve) horseback riding in zero and near-zero gravity. They later created the 'earthSTEED' that could be adjusted to any planetary body's gravity, but the zero-gravity version of the game is still the most popular one. On the back of their STEEDs they ride ride across a long narrow strip called the 'plane' which can be any surface, or indeed no surface at all, as long as the borders and middle line are clearly marked. They ride towards eachother with lances (newly redesigned for maximum efficiency and awesome-looking-ness) and attempt to knock one another off their STEEDs. Injuries are uncommon, but do happen.

Participating in the games is very expensive but the pay off is often much greater than the investment. Jousters are the most famous faces in the solar system, more recognizable than politicians or any other form of entertainment, and often make a side-income by doing advertisements or lobbying for particular candidates for government. Jousters have even been known to join government themselves, and are often very successful, whether or not they are actually any good at their job.

Usually Jousters are either individuals with large fortunes, or that come from rich families, or charastmatic and talented young people that are 'sponsored' by a corporation. Every entrant wears a 'shield', complete with heraldry, and it is here that the sponsoring companies incorporate their logos in order to advertise. (Only one company per jouster.)

CHOW REQUIREMENTS:

- Design a Jouster, including armour and heraldry
    - You may, but are not require, to design the Lance and the STEED

Check out the ChOW round here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho....php?p=2507191

IDW REQUIREMENTS:

- Design the STEED and the Lance for a particular participant
    - you may also include the Jouster

Note: as you can see by the requirements, as long as you include the jouster, heraldry, STEED and Lance, you may submit one image to both contests.

Some links to help you :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jousting
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraldry

Deadline: Monday, November 16

Attachment 824704

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Darkwolf currently lives in the wilds of Pembrokeshire, and rumours of Donner Party goings on are to be fully discounted!
    Thanks
    Okay, let's see if I can actually *finish* one of these suckers! It is indeed quite interesting... Helpful reference regarding jousting...

http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/jousting.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jousting
    "Most people have to be mad to work here... I live in one of the few places you have to be mad to live here..."
    -Darkwolf (aka Jamie Thomas Durbin)

Thanks
    Thought Id post something to get these wips going.. Im still really new to drawing on the comp and I dont have a Tablet yet so Im pretty limited in what I can do. But this is what i got so far.

Liked the Idea of the shield being attached to the Steed. Tell me what ya think

Thanks
    Splashed on a lil color

Thanks
    im new to this crossover thing, do we need to do both chow and idw? or can we just choose one? cuz i'm pretty sure i wont have time to do both :/
    One's humble Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wixxi View Post
    im new to this crossover thing, do we need to do both chow and idw? or can we just choose one? cuz i'm pretty sure i wont have time to do both :/
    You can either do a separate image for both, or, like it says in the rules, if you include all the elements required for both competitions in *one* image, you may submit that image to both contests.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    You can either do a separate image for both, or, like it says in the rules, if you include all the elements required for both competitions in *one* image, you may submit that image to both contests.
    So i cant do like only the steed and the lance?
    One's humble Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wixxi View Post
    So i cant do like only the steed and the lance?
    Yes, you can, sorry, that's what i meant by you can do separate images. You don't have to do both the contests.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    Yes, you can, sorry, that's what i meant by you can do separate images. You don't have to do both the contests.
    ok sweet ^^ than i'm choosing idw =)

update: i have some sketches rdy to show but my bloody scanner doesnt want to scan cuz it keeps saying i need to replace the inktjet, i mean who invented this mechanism, i cant scan cuz i'm out of ink? wtf aaaargh i hate canon printers, my dad is buying new one next month. I'll try to photograph my sketch tho

edit: ok here are some thumbs, so i want my steed to look very futuristic, horse transforms into speederbike like mount and the lance is attached to a gaunlet-like arm piece. comments most welcome.

and here is a pen perspective view on the steed and lance to show you the point.

first tought on the colors, not sure yet
    Last edited by Wixxi; November 9th, 2009 at 05:45 PM.
    One's humble Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 771 Posts
    Since I'm gonna do both 5t33D, Joust and Character I might as well post this here as well
    Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    So, seven-hundred years in the future, huh? That's a lot. A whole lot. Think of where we were 700 years ago, and then where we could be 700 years from now...

I went with some kind of nano-matrix armor, something that's light as air when it's in standby mode, but hardens and absorbs damage when it gets hit, which it will, pretty much every joust. The lance is made of the same thing. It's a nano-lance!

The STEED is a rocket that the jouster steers with their legs.

Thanks
    The first image was my initial stab at the concept. What I didn't like was how much the designs tended to look like whee-less motorcycles. So I tried to go for another feel with the second page. While I liked the feel I didn't think that these vehicles would "Mimic" horse back riding at all. So I took what I liked about the second set and rearranged the seat. The lance ideas pretty much stayed the same from the start, just trying to get a good shape while still feeling lance like. I haven't gotten to the character yet.

Thanks
    cool looking armor you got there pixeltuner!

Last edited by Wixxi; November 10th, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
    One's humble Sketchbook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wixxi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi everyone! Cool round. I've only got a STEED so far, so I thought I'd post in here. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get the jouster on it, and get it finished.

Looking good everyone.

Thanks
    looking great every 1 ^^
    my concept is this:
    vincent and the black shadow.
    vincent, a real underdog in the pangalactic jousting tournament.
    he made his fortune as a scrappie.
    finding old wrecks and hulks in deepspace and towing them back for scrap.
    he spent his last red pence on building his steed. the black shadow.
    when a man has a dream he will work his whole life to get it.
    he makes up for his lack of high end parts with his determination and skill

the steed is based loosely on the classic motorbike the 'vincent black shadow'
    thats where i got the char and steed name from

the hubs where the wheels would be on a traditional motorbike function as gyroscopic gravity spinners giving thrust in space.
    the engine is a complex highly customized 2200 industria britanica empirica meaning= it goes really really fast
    a compact 2700 hatchet and short sword are attached to the fuel tank and twice scaled duplicates to vincents left leg, for personal combat, cause jousting includes these things guys !
    the lance was found by vincent on a tomb ship in the deepest receses of space, clutched in the hands of the accursed unholy emporor general. scourge of a century. it's said to come with a dormant nano curse as standard.

still working on a logo.

Attachment 826632
    Last edited by Etheral; November 11th, 2009 at 09:13 AM.
    cut me. i bleed paint.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast