Sketchbook: 5 years til world domination!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

5 years til world domination!

I've decided to take the plunge and start aiming towards a proper career in art. Ideally concept art but anything art related really. Been saving for a while to go to Gnomon, but then I got a job as a 3d artist (with no training but enthusiasm and some general nerdery under my belt) and decided I'd like to go into something less visual effects related and more art based. So now I'm all about aiming for an Atelier. I'm hoping to get into the Florence Academy of art soon. Gonna apply for the spring session and see how it goes. I'm giving myself a year of doing nothing but Art and see how it goes. I plan to work my ass off and once I start to get happy with my standard I'm going to start applying for the ConceptArt Atelier. That'd be the dream, but failing that I'm still gonna get something concept art related if I can at all. I've been drawing like a mad ejit for the last two months or so and I'm going to get around to posting some of that stuff over the next while hopefully. Unfortunately I've got arse all time at the moment so it's likely that the posting might suffer (I can do anatomy studies from Bridgman on the bus but posting them requires some time at home with the scanner). Anyway, if ayone happens across this post do drop back in from time to time to tell me what I'm neglecting/doing wrong. And hopefully in about five years time (or so) I can have my dream job. Starting at 24 but I'll be on track soon enough.

Also, to get the ball rolling here's my first attempt at a photoshop self portrait. Trying to get to know the Wacom.

Ramble over, go about your business folks!

EDIT: Last post added at the top for the sake of SB thumbnail. PLEASE LOOK AT LAST PAGE FOR INFO ON PIC BELOW Original self portrait has been moved down a few posts if anyone is looking for it

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gyzmotnik; August 7th, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyzmotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool man, keep fillin up the sketchbook, portrait looks pretty decent.

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First attempt? Love it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers Blue Severin. I've got a load that I wanna put up, but most of it is sketches and I don't have scanner access at the moment. Will get on it when I can though.

Thank'ee MadAdder. It's a first go at actually painting from scratch in PS, I've used it before for work.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyzmotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me as a gangster... cause I didn't have much time to do alot this evenin. Thought I'd play.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here 'tis

EDIT: rejigging start of thread for diplay pic purposes. Moved original first post self portrait pic to this post (it's the one with the glasses)

Last edited by Gyzmotnik; December 14th, 2009 at 07:39 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyzmotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomically flavoured sketch vomit to follow....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyzmotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought I'd throw this up too. It's an excercise from one of seedling's posts on concept art. Seek her posts out for some of the most well laid out and consice beginners excercises I've seen. This is a normal object conceptifericated into something else. Not really all that imaginative a conversion in this case, but I'll be doing more at some point.

Stupidly for something so ID based I didn't construct proper perspective and my sense of perspective is a wee bit dodgy without the helper lines, so I'll have to do that better next time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyzmotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two slightly older graphite drawings done from photos. Lots to learn. First one has colouring pencil, then basic texture added in PS. Both on A4 paper

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyzmotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is quite arevelation to look back on old shit alright. What part of the country are you in? There's a drink/draw session in Galway on monday coming if you're about. The PS textures need a lighter touch in those last pics. I like the large size portrait - "Karo-Lina".

Hit me up on facebook if you have an account. Cheers!

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to, but I'm in Kildare (-.-) Everyone I've been talking to recently is talking about facebook... sudden resurge of popularity much? I'll have to get me one of those.

The texture was added right at the end as an afterthought. Should use a bit of a lighter touch alright.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgman studies. And a stylized life drawing. Gotta keep drawing. Most of the Bridgman is done on the bus. Two hours a day of uninterrupted drawing with very few distractions. Bee-youtiful

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life drawing from photo... I will get back onto concept stuff. But it might be a while cause I'm trying to prep a portfolio for Florence at the mo. Charcoal on newsprint

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyzmotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm making a little ecorche head to put in my folio. Picture's shite though. Will get a better one up at some point. Gonna add the facial muscle over the next while when I get the chance.

Last edited by Gyzmotnik; November 19th, 2009 at 05:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ecorche head

got a chance to work on my ecorche head last night. Roughed in all the muscles. Need to smooth the surface and texture it before I call it finished.

Good stuff love the ecorche.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not slacking, just insanely busy and putting my free time into drawing rather than internet/scanning related activities. Here are some figures in polychromos pencil. Loads more to be posted when I get the chance again. Some more anatomical studies, some self portraits and a few older figures that I hadn't posted before. Watch this space (hopefully the wait won't be as long/boring)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyzmotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An idea for one of my folio pieces, anatomical sketchbook stuff done in polychromos pencil and then arranged and highlighted in photoshop. I'm only allowed 5 pieces max, so they've gotta be good!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gyzmotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    self portrait in Polychromos, original and with some highlighting attemped in PS. Still not sure where to go with this exactly. Thinking it might be a little too much

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyzmotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only allowed 5 pieces max? What are you applying for? That's crazy pressure.

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know! it's crazy. I'm applying for an atelier school in florence

http://www.florenceacademyofart.com/gallery.php

That's a gallery of their student's work. So it seems pretty hardcore. I still can't believe that the pics at the top are drawings. It's mind boggling. That's why I've got so much traditional style stuff up here rather than concept stuff. I'm trying to get some good traditional stuff done so I can get in, then I can do some more of the fun stuff while hopefully learning some kick ass skills. No time for both at the moment cause of work and life getting in the way

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh cool, I visited there. Yeah, they are insane but they're end-of-year drawings with 60 or 70 hours in them. If you keep the work up and get your ultimate 5 together you'll have a fair chance of being accepted. Those anatomy drawings and figures you have up there are off the chain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man! you've improved a lot.
    those studies are giving results

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Donalfall

yeah, I know that really. The level just makes entry all the more pressureful. I'd love to be able to show them a load of figures and anatomy pieces but I can't. And even the idea of spending 60-70 hours on a piece melts my brain a little. Though I love the idea of having enough knowledge and skill to actually continue working on something constructively for that long (at the moment I'd be afraid of breaking it, or just get bored) Case in point the drawings below I could and maye should do alot more on them since I can see lots of issues with them but I only ever wanted them to be fun studies to get to know digital painting a bit better anyway, so I think they've served their purpose.

@ Andres333

thanks man, I'm really hoping I can keep improving. I live in fear of hitting a wall art wise now that I've committed myself to it properly *cringe* I love it so far though so here's hoping it continues that way

Below are some studies from a game I love. Not gonna name it, see who guesses first (not all that difficult though) Thought it would interest me a bit more as a study than a photo or still life. I enjoyed them. Probably will do more and hopefully it'll improve my photoshop skills. That being said I bet I coulda modelled this quicker in 3d but that's not the point. Hooray for digi painting!! More to come, thought possibly not for a while as I still have lots of non-concept portfolio to do and work deadlines aah-boo!

second study is from the same game, but spent much less time on it, trying to be loose-ish wih it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I fucking love your dedication, man! Will keep an eye one this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Faust: Thanks man. You're clearly pretty damn dedicated yourself from looking through your "relaxation exercises". If I could develop as much over the next few years as you have over the last few I think I'd be pretty happy. You still looking to get into the conceptart atelier (if it's still running after the TAD announcements that is)? Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I wanted to post something with my response so I'm not drawing too much attention to myself without some drawings to show for it

I decided recently that I was making art too much of a chore with my portfolio prep stuff and decided to start keeping a sketchbook. Just doodles really although I did discover the joys of greyscale markers on these pages. Awesome-o. Needed to have some shameless childish fun. Wasn't gonna share these but I thought I should show I was doing something in case I got in trouble for slacking off. Really like the markers, first proper go at them and I'm looking forward to doing more with them

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyzmotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just in case anyone thought from the previous post that I'm not doing any portfolio stuff, I'm posting an SP. Done on black paper in Prismacolor pencils. Had to scan it in 3 separate pieces. Got a few other SPs and some other stuff in the works but none of it is ready for showing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your kind words man Your studies are solid and you're having fun doodling, I like that! Your tech looks intriguing and looks a lot like the stuff from Hawkprey. Do you know that artist?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not familiar with him/her. Most of these are pretty much just flow of consciousness stuff. Hrmm.. that sounds waaay to pretentious. Do a squiggle, whatever the squiggle looks like I'll draw in that direction and then change as it starts to look like different stuff. just like what I used to do when I was younger. Sometimes I even get a friend to do the first squiggle for me. Although 99% of the time you just get a bunch of "S" shapes or circles when you ask someone else to start it. Does help get past the white page stage. Fun too, trying to figure out what to make of someone elses squiggles without changin them too much

Is Hawkprey on Conceptart? If so I'll check em out

[EDIT] Aaah, I do know him actually. James Hawkins of GOW fame. He's a Leg-end. Never knew him as Hawkprey. Saw a bit of his Gnomon DVD. Would love to see the whole thing. It looks great. I wish I was anywhere NEAR his standard

Last edited by Gyzmotnik; December 21st, 2009 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiyoo.

I'd forgotten I had an account on this. Good work man (almost wrote your name, not sure if that's taboo), your hard work is really paying off!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1