The Figure In Motion - Question on this Book

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Question The Figure In Motion - Question on this Book

I have been looking for various resources where I can study the human figure, and I came across this book:

The Figure in Motion - Thomas Easley

Description: "Leaping, somersaulting, stretching and dancing figures animate this gallery of action poses, photographed for artists of all levels to use as a reference when portraying human figures in motion. There are pictures of both male and female models in suspended action to show the body from numerous vantage points. Students can practise figure drawing by copying the photographs, while advanced artists can use them as points of departure, altering body positions to suit specific compositional needs."

I thought I'd post it here incase anyone is interested in it (and the website, it has books at great prices and shipping is free worldwide) but I also have a question.
    Does anyone own this book or know anything about it? I am thinking of buying it, as from what I can see it looks like a great reference book and something which will help me a lot when I can't use my computer to find images (as that's all I'm using at the moment). I don't really have a lot of money to spend at the moment, so if anyone could tell me whether it's worth buying or not, I'd be very grateful!
    Thank you!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    -----

Last edited by ceruleanvii; November 7th, 2009 at 01:12 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ceruleanvii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ceruleanvii, thank you for answering my question
    I'm glad that you have told me about the poor photograph quality in the book, as that's something which is a large factor for me. I also struggle more with the male form, so if the magority of the photographs are of females, then I don't think it's the book for me if I want to progress with my figure drawing! The tricky poses still make the book slightly tempting, although i think the cons outweight the pro's on this one really. It's a shame to hear the photos aren't that good, it looked like such a promising book! Thank you for such a detailed answer! I too would lovwe to know about a reference book like this with good quality photos, so if anyone knows of one please share the title with us !

I'll also continue to look for one, so if I find one which looks good I'll let you know and post it here Again, I definitely recommend the website, the books are a lot cheaper than in most other places, and shipping is free worldwide!

EDIT: I've just found this book, and thought I'd show it here:
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book...t-Models-No.-2
    The description says it can be used as a supplement for life drawing classes or to teach yourself, and the photos on the front cover alone appear to be of a good quality. It also says it contains "a diverse group of male and female models", so this looks promising! I may buy this and see how it is, I'm surprised I didn't spot this sooner.

Last edited by Spirit; November 4th, 2009 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks
    I agree. It's a decent book for getting some tricky poses. I do wish there was a little more variety of angles for some of the poses, and there were more males and of better definition.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.