Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Sketchtastic!

Thanks
    Im starting to get stuck on what to do, ive been told to stick to the basics but im running out of stuff to draw do i just keep doing tons of apples and stuff? is that what i need to do? I could use some input on this guys thx.
    "The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,548 Posts
    Let me see if I can explain this (it isn't that you're dense, it is just kind of tricky to explain)...the basics aren't what you think. It isn't just doing apples and little still lifes because someone tells you that is what to do. The basics are composition, accurate drawing, value and edges...and texture too. It doesn't matter what you draw, seeing and translating and developing those things in your work is what you should focus on.

Currently you're sort of just sketching these things in and seem to be doing them without the understanding of "why" to do them? Am I close there? So the apple core and lighter for example...draw that as accurately as you can...not sketchy, you start there, with construction sketch lines, etc., but then really start to pay attention to the values and make that as close to what you see as possible.

Set up something more complex or with more elements if you want...but I wouldn't until I could nail the simpler things first. You're on the right track, just need to focus more and understand the "why" behind it. And re-read dpaint's quote you have there...
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gah... So ive been doing it wrong? Im a little confused how do you learn composition from drawing single objects? what is there to compose? Accurate drawing... thought that is what i was doing? Value and edges, pencils don't seem to go that dark and the paper sure as hell isnt white so i figured i adjust my values so that white is my paper and black is dark grey... I thought i was doing it right. As for texture blah i have no idea how to do that with pencil... i was sitting, looking at that orange for like 20 mins thinking how am i going to do this.

The thing is tho i can match the values in photoshop, what does that mean? And what if i just spent hours trying to match the values with a pencil until i got it right? would that be learning or just spending so long on something that i get it right eventually?

To me that seems like giving a monkey a pencil and letting him draw random lines.. eventually he will draw something that looks like a person by sheer chance, but does that mean the monkey has learned to draw people now?

As for dpaints quote... i thought i was doing it right. I mean you can tell what they are right? that's like a reason to celebrate to me lol. Anyway, i will do my best to try and draw more accurately but im not sure how much better i can do without putting hours and hours into each drawing, which btw im fine with. It just doesn't feel like im learning when i do.

Thx for the comments, its nice to have some guidance.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Great questions...that is a good thing right there, asking solid questions. I'll see if I can provide some insight...

First, no, you haven't been doing it wrong exactly, just maybe without the focus and "why" in mind. Don't worry about that, many, many, MANY of us do that at first, until we do enough of it that certain things start to click mentally.

So, composition....you already start off with a "format" - the page/paper/canvas. You can orient it vertical, horizontal or square it off with a line - you can also make it extreme vertical or horizontal by lining it off. Now, where that single object is placed starts to be your composition...where the horizon line exists, or table edge is part of the composition, the balance of shadow and light is part of the composition, etc. One is the loneliest number...two things start to relate like friends, lovers, enemies...so you can ad something else if you want. "Drawing Scenery" by Jack Hamm is one of the best books on composition you'll find.

It sounds like you compressed the value range instead of just shifting it to account for the paper tone - IOW black or very dark would still be as dark as you can achieve.

You'll need to expand your pencil selection - pick up some Berol Turquoise 4B, 6B and an 8B - Pink Pearl eraser, a white vinyl eraser, a kneaded eraser and Papermate makes a fine diameter "stick" eraser that I love called "Tuff Stuff" - usually only found in drafting supply stores.

The idea is to become sensitive through seeing/observation...and skilled enough with handling th ematerials to be able to put that information down. This takes a lot of looking at very subtle effects happening in shadows, understanding the kinds of shadows, understanding edges, reflected light, etc. The more youlook teh more you see...and teh more you unlock and become sensitive to light on form.

You are definitely doing a good job with accuracy of the forms and shapes, you can tell what they are, which is a reason to celebrate! The next step is to start being more accurate with values and edges...texture description will come a long way through that...plus work on the abstract principles of composition and line quality.

Spend as much time as necessary to take every drawing as far as you can...or want to...sometimes that is 18 hours, sometimes 20 minutes. One goal is for your drawing to be accurate at every stage, and thus appealing...whether just light construction work, value block in, line quality, etc. Work on line quality and expression, good/aesthetic value description, etc.

Anyway, keep at it, you're off to a great start. If you want an excellent guidebook I would get "Drawing Essentials" by Deborah Rockman. It covers everything you need to know about drawing...for now.

Alright - carry on!

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I actually have them books already lol just havnt read them yet i guess i have a reason to now. I didn't think i would actually get an answer to any of these questions so its a nice surprise to see them answered You have given me a lot to think about, but whats stranger is that when i woke up today i was thinking about going to get some art supplies but wasn't sure what to get, now i know! thx for that.

So i will give them books a read and get some art supplies and see what happens.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    tried getting my values more correct but it didn't work out too well i guess i will keep trying.

Edit: Good job my scanner should be working today because these photos are not comming out very well lol

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Got my scanner working, just testing it out. Ive done a bunch of other stuff but i don't wanna post them, coz they suck so...

BTW does anyone have any tips for scanning sketches mine seem to be coming out a little darker then they really are.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    My goal with the pear is to break it down into basic shapes to get the contour then identify the core shadow, highlight and halftone Then try to see how they relate to the basic shapes which construct the object. To better understand how to use 3D shapes to construct more complex objects i thought this was a good idea... I'm just trying to train myself to see in 3D, i hope it works.

BTW the torso was just a random study i did to see how light falls on it. Kinda screwed it up.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Did the bottom one from memory just to see if i had learned anything... i think i did ok. Once i broke it down into basic shapes i already knew how the light would fall on it from all the shapes ive been doing XD good stuff.

Edit: the hardest part for me is doing the textures... not sure how to do them without messing up the shadows.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Did this cup... didnt go well. im gunna give a few more tries.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Good progression, nice work. Nowhere near as qualified as Jeff to offer pointers so I'll offer encouragement +1.
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Vermis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey element, I feel that you are studying hard but are very frustrated at the same time.
    Been there, and am still, and I thought I'd share some thoughts. First of all, invest some money into your study. I'm not talking art school here, I mean anatomy books, and online tutorials. Rubins, Bridgman and Hogarth are all to get under 10£ each, and as you know CA is currently offering their stuff or 8$, and I have downloaded 6 items so far. It's so valuable because it gives you knowledge input and a direction of what to do. I find this the hardest part of self-teaching: knowing what to do next. It needs discipline to sit down and learn muscles, but it needs a teacher to tell you how to do it most effectively. So yeah, invest a little I would say- it did help me.

And for the record, I really like that torso study. It might be a bit dodgy around the breasts but the belly is really nice. It looks chromatic, and I fall for that effect
    Keep it up!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    Hey element, I feel that you are studying hard but are very frustrated at the same time.
    Been there, and am still, and I thought I'd share some thoughts. First of all, invest some money into your study. I'm not talking art school here, I mean anatomy books, and online tutorials. Rubins, Bridgman and Hogarth are all to get under 10£ each, and as you know CA is currently offering their stuff or 8$, and I have downloaded 6 items so far. It's so valuable because it gives you knowledge input and a direction of what to do. I find this the hardest part of self-teaching: knowing what to do next. It needs discipline to sit down and learn muscles, but it needs a teacher to tell you how to do it most effectively. So yeah, invest a little I would say- it did help me.

And for the record, I really like that torso study. It might be a bit dodgy around the breasts but the belly is really nice. It looks chromatic, and I fall for that effect
    Keep it up!
    lol I'm always a little frustrated but i have almost 150GB of video tutorials and eBooks XD i have everything from anatomy to landscapes, That also includes a bunch of massive black stuff. I guess the stuff ive watched isn't showing in my work lol I'm just trying to keep things simple, i want a solid foundation before moving onto figures.

I see some people who have been drawing and painting figures for years and still seem to lack the basics on anatomy and proportion, i don't want to be one of those people. I know from experience with other crafts that when you have learned something one way its very very hard to change the way you think or work because of it. Muscle memory is a hard thing to try to overwrite. Im at a critical point in my learning atm, the way i do things now will probably be the way i always do things... Lets make sure its the right way.

But just so you know... Im dying to get into doing figures, i yearn to learn anatomy and gesture. But i just don't think my skills are up to par enough to attempt something as complex as a human at this time... But soon, Very soon.

Thx for checking out my sketchbook guys, its always nice to see a new comment

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Ive been doing the assignments in this thread:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116213

Also i was watching tv and was randomly sketching, and drew that chick thing. I know the light/Anatomy/Proportion doesn't make sense.. but i didn't put that much thought into it.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Still doing assignments, pretty boring stuff.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by element1988 View Post
    lol I'm always a little frustrated but i have almost 150GB of video tutorials and eBooks XD i have everything from anatomy to landscapes, That also includes a bunch of massive black stuff. I guess the stuff ive watched isn't showing in my work lol I'm just trying to keep things simple, i want a solid foundation before moving onto figures.

I see some people who have been drawing and painting figures for years and still seem to lack the basics on anatomy and proportion, i don't want to be one of those people. I know from experience with other crafts that when you have learned something one way its very very hard to change the way you think or work because of it. Muscle memory is a hard thing to try to overwrite. Im at a critical point in my learning atm, the way i do things now will probably be the way i always do things... Lets make sure its the right way.

But just so you know... Im dying to get into doing figures, i yearn to learn anatomy and gesture. But i just don't think my skills are up to par enough to attempt something as complex as a human at this time... But soon, Very soon.

Thx for checking out my sketchbook guys, its always nice to see a new comment
    Well, I think it is more important to challenge yourself, rather than to bore yourself. I am not suggesting to start drawing crappy figures. I don't htink you are up to the human body, either. But neither am I. Instead, start learning single muscles and body parts. Do figure drawing, join the Spartan Camp. That sort of stuff. It will loosen you up. Ask yourself why you are studying apples, what excactly do you want to learn? Lighting, value, line confidentiality, form, perspective...?

Regarding the 150GB stuff: I don't know whether you pirated most of the stuff.. If you haven't well that's good, if you have then I would suggest to you to buy the stuff, not just download it. It sounds weird but if you put money into it, it's worth more to you and you actually sit down and watch it, try to learn it. You want to make sure your money doesn't go nowhere. It also makes you more selective. As I said, invest.

cheers!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    Well, I think it is more important to challenge yourself, rather than to bore yourself. I am not suggesting to start drawing crappy figures. I don't htink you are up to the human body, either. But neither am I. Instead, start learning single muscles and body parts. Do figure drawing, join the Spartan Camp. That sort of stuff. It will loosen you up. Ask yourself why you are studying apples, what excactly do you want to learn? Lighting, value, line confidentiality, form, perspective...?

Regarding the 150GB stuff: I don't know whether you pirated most of the stuff.. If you haven't well that's good, if you have then I would suggest to you to buy the stuff, not just download it. It sounds weird but if you put money into it, it's worth more to you and you actually sit down and watch it, try to learn it. You want to make sure your money doesn't go nowhere. It also makes you more selective. As I said, invest.

cheers!
    I bought most the stuff, its mostly eBooks and stuff i downloaded. ya know like loomis and stuff. But ive been collecting them for years, even tho it doesn't show in my work.

Also most the videos are not all that expensive, like i think the massive black stuff when i got them was like $15 or something like that. and the IDrawGirls guy has his stuff for up for like $5. Over the years ive picked up a lot of them.

Oh just one more thing, i sit and watch every video i get, most of them ive watched multiple times. I have the knowledge in my head, it just doesn't always come out when i draw. Anyway i will start doing some anatomy studies soon.

thx for stopping by.
    Last edited by EleMont; July 19th, 2011 at 11:42 AM.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Couple of loomis studies and a sketch from imagination. not much i know.. but im tired.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Trying to figure out the mystery that is the female body/torso... Its something that's bugged me for a long long time. Im trying to come up with a system to get all the parts int he right place, ive tried using boxes and circle shapes but nothing is hitting home just yet.

im studying from photos on characterdesigns.com, just trying to figure this thing out, its not so much the anatomy but more the proportion and placement.

Anyway imma keep doing these studies until i have a light bulb moment and can quickly sketch a fairly proportional female body from memory. I need to understand how it works so i can draw it from any angle. Thats my goal.

Any help on what sort of shapes u guys use for laying in your bodies to get them looking right would be very helpful also

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Still trying to figure out the female torso. Whenever i think im getting it it all goes wrong again. I found the best way for me to do it is using a box shape for the rib case and a triangle shape for the pelvis, the 3 points of the triangle being the 2 pelvis bones that stick out then the crotch. seems to work ok but doesn't help too much with the placement of the abs... which is stressing me out a little. Also a triangle isnt a 3d shape so doesn't work too well with strange angles but its ok for a starting point.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    You're not thinking of it correctly yet...if you want to go the trapezoid box route then it has to stay the same trapezoid box...just in perspective. Yours are flat, 2D shapes that change with every pose change, rather than a box form with volume in perspective.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    You're not thinking of it correctly yet...if you want to go the trapezoid box route then it has to stay the same trapezoid box...just in perspective. Yours are flat, 2D shapes that change with every pose change, rather than a box form with volume in perspective.
    Yeah i can do that for the ribcage.. but the pelvis is where i have problems. I need something that will give me a reference for the other body parts but also be good for getting the shape close to correct.

I will do some more studies and see if i can come up with something better.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    The pelvis is just a bit more triangular trapezoid box. Arms and legs are tapering cylinders - the hands are wedge shaped paddles and the feet are narrower wedges but steep. Simplify it down but maintain the 3d volume. It's important to think in terms of 3D volumes.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

30. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice sb you have here, definitely a lot of passion showing through. I may not be as qualified to offer advice as some other people in this thread, but here is my advice. I noticed that in your loomis studies ou have some problems with proportions, are you familiar with using the head as a measuring tool for the rest of the body? If not, look into it. And for the 150 gigs of videos you have, try watching one video at a time, then afterwards do a series of drawings showcasing what you have learned, and if necessary take notes or sketch while you watch. I recommend you start with Vilpus gesture videos. I hope this helps, and best of luck to you.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Metallurgist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well its been like a year.. I stopped posting and started lurking.. Dunno why, just felt like I needed to do more work and less posting because I wasn't understanding where I was going wrong... Still don't but w/e cant hide forever.

So anyway, Ive got some cola cans laying around and im just gunna keep drawing them until I figure out this whole "perspective from life" stuff. In the meantime heres some random stuff.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    So... Cans.. still doing em... I'll stop when they look right.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Started Adding a few more items.. this is fun.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Hmm cant change my title for some reason...

anyway.. a few more. I think im getting better at drawing what I see more accurate but my rendering is really bad.

Sorry if doing the same subjects over and over looks dull but the more time I spend looking for something cool to draw the less time I spend drawing. I am trying to get myself out of the habit of keeping myself distracted from drawing.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Well This is probably the last of em for today, coz i dont feel like scanning and resizing lol so if i do any more tonight i will post em tomorrow.

Things I learned:

1. I suck at Art
    2. Shoes are hard
    3. Still lifes look better when you have good lighting

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Hey, so i didn't get anything done yesterday had a friend moving his stuff in coz he had nowhere to live, then i find out all my art supplies that i ordered including some copic markers i sent them to the wrong address.. So i spent the day helping him with his stuff and trying to track down my art stuff.. bummed me out a lot but im feeling a little better today.

I feel like im improving a lot in a short amount of time with these still lifes. There becoming more accurate so im feeling alot better now.

DA

Sketch Book

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast