Thanks

Psychosis and Art

http://www.epub.org.br/cm/gallery/ga...rdo/fig1-a.htm

look how cool his art got once he got full blown schizophrenia...

but what does this mean? are all artists headed down this path? there is definitely something different about how an artist's, and specifically my, brain works.

avoiding the outdoors to sit in my room making a thousands hatchmarks on a piece of paper, or sculpting a hundreds of individual blades of grass on a board for hours and hours and hours... (and hours). maybe art is just an outlet for mental afflictions...

are we all insane?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I couldn't stop laughing at those dang cats. I was in tears imagining myself painting them and I think I would have gone crazy staring looking at them.

Thanks
    Kitsch artist becomes abstract pseudo-genius.

I have to wonder if he may have been influenced by abstract art, in addition to being driven by his psychosis.

Oh yeah, and I think it's somewhat amusing how in stages 3 and 4, we can vaguely make out cat-like shapes, but stage 5 has something that's not even vaguely cat-like at all.
    Art student
    ~Livin' large at Watts Atelier.

Thanks

Re: Psychosis and Art

Originally posted by Giottoface
    but what does this mean? are all artists headed down this path?
    Of course not.

the deep, dark, menacing jungles of Australia.
    Thanks
    this is an interesting topic. of course all artists aren't slowly going psychotic - keeping in mind there are different types of art. I think it might perhaps be sort of the other way round. when people develope psychosis they become detatched from reality (as the thing about the cat guy said); there seems to be a link between this and creativity, and some psychotics become artists simply to convey their feelings in the only way they can find. Of course I could well be completely wrong - its just an idea. I'd love to know more about this stuff...
    art is fun and addictive. like coffee. I like coffee too.

Thanks
    omg those pix were scary and hilarious at hte same time. i actually started laughing outloud also. its sad but very spooky. are all crazy? YES!

of course, isnt art about expressing your self? i mean look at van gogh's paintings near the end of his life.

Thanks
    I'm by no means an expert but here's my 2 cents...

Apparently the brain operates in two 'halves'. I'm not sure if this is literal or simply a way to explain the fact that there are two different types of thought process that occur within our brains.
    Anyway, one half is our analytical side, which handles all our logical thought processes, including speaking and interpreting speech, mathematical stuff, rational stuff, understanding that red means stop and green means go, even the technical aspects of drawing are handled by this side (I think).
    The other half is our creative side, or at least, that is where our creativity comes from. The two sides are quite different and we use different parts of our brain at different times.

Usually the analytical side dominates as we live our daily lives working, however, when you're physically or mentally tired, the logical half of the brain slows down (i think because it requires more concentration) and the creative side moves to the fore. This (apparently) is why we tend to be more creative in our art when we're tired.

Music can also help us tap into the creative half of our brain because it is not logical/analytical or whatever, although it's best to listen to music without a lot of lyrics because this uses the other half.

Anyway, to get to the point, it seems to me that a person suffering from a mental disorder may be suffering a breakdown of their analytical/ rational half of the brain. This is partly why their social interaction skills decrease and their understanding of the world around them deteriorates. However, this may mean that the creative half of the brain is in dominance and therefore artistic expression seems to become far more expressive and, I guess, creative.

This is why we see a guy who, for most of his career, paints relatively literal, technical representations of cats in suits. When the guy is struck by mental illness, his technical side breaks down and his creative side goes into full gear.

At least that's my tinpot psychological theory...I'm sure it's not entirely correct, although the two halves of the brain thing is something that I've read about...I guess when you cut through my babble I'm basically saying that mental illness can open doors to creativity, but that we all have the ability to tap into that creative side of ourselves.

phew
    Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Thanks
    I think what you have said is accurate. There are 2 sides of the brain and one deals with concpets such as landguage and maths. And the other deals with "creativitiy" if you will. Some people are born inclined to one side not in the sense that they choose just that that side is dominant. Also if you look closly at your everyday life things become apprant according to which brain you use. Ie prehaps remembering faces but not a name? seeing words as picutres rather than whatever else it is that people see it as! and loads of cool other stuff.

Thanks
    the most common is left brain is analytical and right is creative. being right hand to left brain, left hand to right brain. though reading "how to use your right side of the brain" or whatever it is called, talks all about this stuff.not saying that right handers only use left brain, we all use our whole brain, just more of the left, as you guys said. mmm, hard to remember what else it said. oh, that not all right hands are to left brain, it just depends. ehhh im making this really messy and probably unaccurate, but yep.

Thanks
    Damn, this makes me want to be schizo.

Thanks
    Wow, the 3rd stage and later art work closely resembles art that's normally associated with psychotropic/psychedelic drugs. The kalaidascoping fractaly patterns and colours look like the work of an acidhead. That's really interesting. Makes one think of psychotropics in the terms of brief bouts of schizophrenia. Imagine that... Basically tripping, and never coming back. Eep.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.