FARCRY, Unexpected success.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 254 Posts

FARCRY, Unexpected success.

I just got the FARCRY Demo( get it @ Http://www.fileplanet.com ), and i'm seriously beyond impressed. I mean... with all the other huge FPS games coming out, you can easily got lost and what games are suppose to be ground breaking.

This game. i have a feeling MAY possibly beat half life and doom.

My reasons are:
    1: The demo is a single lvl. you have one goal, i've played this one level about 30 times, doing different things.
    2: The SANDBOX™ program that is coming with the game is going to probably be the first client-based mod program related for a new gen FPS. They've been released for games from like 10 years ago because it was insanely simple to cut and past things, but as games got more technical they started to stop giving the user easy access to alterations. SANDBOX™ now lets the user create their own maps and missions in a matter of minutes. As NWN did for the online RPG community, i think FARCRY will do the same for FPS. Swapping of missions will up the reply value of this game for i believe years.

The reason i think FARCRY might beat halflife2 is that i think halflife2 is being put out slightly more for the engine than the actual gameplay. Halflife2 has all kinds of weird effects and physics...but it's really hard to tell how the gameplay will work.

I feel some what the same about doom3, yet i think doom3 will focus alot on gameplay, but the reply value is still questionable.

STALKER, i'm a bit iffy about. FARCRY looks like it has alot of what stalker already has... more or less.

I dunno, i'm completely on love with this game and i URGE everyone to try out the demo.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Agreed. I rarely ever play them anymore, and i'm not really easily impressed with games. What i liked about the demo was that there was a lot of freedom as to how you achieve an objective, and lot's of stuff to figure out, paths to find… The graphics are top notch, the physics engine is nifty. My only problems were that sometimes the AI went idiot, and the game is really hardware intensive.

Thanks
    Watched the trailer just now and...HOLY SHIT!!!

Art student
    ~Livin' large at Watts Atelier.

Thanks
    graphics are insane....

Thanks
    http://www.demoindex.com/index.php?g=745&site=site1

trailer

game[play looks good--buit the trailer was pertty bad about showing us any story or context for characters ...ah well

taht scene where he was shooting the guys who were rappelling off teh helicopter:eek: wow ...cool

MY SITE
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Yea I got this demo because there was a minor uproar at places like bluesnews with people sounding surprised and impressed, and I must say, wow, it totally blew me away. It was probably helped a bit byt the fact that it came completely out of left field.

I like the per pixel bullet hits/pain skins. Gruesome! they even change depending on the hit location... for instance, shoot someone in the torso whos wearing a t-shirt, and the blood spreads out and soaks in, whereas a hit on naked flesh is a ragged splattered wound. yummy

BTW, something a bit strange I discovered: The demo, it seems, was hard coded to identify 'LowSpecSystems' and disable certain options in the game. i.e. if it detects that your system is, in it's opinion, low end, then it will take some pretty major things out of the demo, and you dont get any UI options to turn them on. These include:

- a ragdoll shark hanging on the docks where you start
    - a drivable buggy (!) with mounted MG on the leftmost beach
    - security cams around the island
    - more destroyable and physics enabled barrels and crates
    - some more environmental eye candy like coral underwater and 3d tufts of grass covering bare ground
    - more enemies overall
    - 2 blackhawks attack you at the last battle at the fort instead of one

and some others i think. Anyway, some person on the ubi forums made a fix for it that basically goes in and changes all the 'SKipOnLowSpec = 1' lines to 'SKipOnLowSpec = 0'
    And everything should work.. at least it did for me. I was kind of pissed that they took that option completely out of your hands... especially since with all that stuff in, the game runs perfectly fine still on my system!! Anyway if you guys have this issue and dont want to search around in the ubi forums, PM me or reply in this thread and i'll post the fix on my website and put a link here. It's just a .pak file that you place in a part of the games directory and you're good to go.

- Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    that sounds really cool nimrod, i'd like that pk3

btw did you know if you kill the 'commanders' the groups ai stops working as a group completely. They have red shoulder pads.

Thanks
    Ive been following far cry and stalker for a while now. And I also just played the Far cry demo. and im very impressed. I cant wait for the full to come out. I just love the openess of it, plus the 1 km view distance. like youi can snipe the gusy in the ruined bunker on the mountian form the beach houses. SO cool :eek:

Thanks
    yeah, i love the sniping in single player, but i'm afraid of how sniping is going to be controlled in multiplayer...

There's alot of guns in this game... but they will all be pointless if over half the team is firing from 3 islands away..

Thanks
    i have a 900mhz cpu and 512 ram and 64mb graphics and it cant handle it hahah

whatever, no time for games. all you do is shoot people endlessly anyways. I figure whats the point

Thanks
    things I don't like.. you move to slow and sluggish... and also there is no button 3, 4, and 5 for mouse support... I wish holding your breath while standing helped with aiming with all guns..

I hope they make a more futuristic game like tribes with this engine.. or a mechwarrior sort of game.. You could do some really cool stuff...

I wish you could switch to 3rd person veiw everyonce in a while as well.

This engine is great.. It has a few problems with firing a gun, the first time into a level.. and killing someone.. or alerting others.. it gives me a huge lag spike..

I really enjoy sneaking in underneath people and capping them through wood planks..

umm.. the dune buggie is fun, but they should have put it in a place where you could drive it a little more easier.. The helicopter has too good of AI...

thats about it..

peace
    -mike

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Here's that there thingy there.

http://ninja.designrockstar.com/pics/z_sharked_fix.pak

stick it in Levels/Fort/ and it should work automagically.

BON APETIT, DRIVE SAFE NOW

- Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    this game is awesome..!!

Thanks
    i don't think it's that great, i really hope that the demo really is a tamed down version to get the rest of the lower end pc users to get to try it cause it was pretty much nothing they advertised so far other than lush landscape, the ai was definitely scripted and everything else was not that tremendous of a leap forward minus the polybump feature they use. i've gotten to mess with the hl2 leak before and played a couple missions that were more or less done, and i think that it's gonna kick ass on all aspects of gameplay and graphics and crazy new features. doom 3 is gonna be sweet,normal mapped all to hell and very linear and scripted but the suspense for first run throughs on the game should be a blast...anyhow my two cents

It's super happy wonderful fun time!
    www.fiddlegarden.com

Thanks
    i think the movement is fantastic.

it's alittle faster than ww2/tactical fighting games but works. I seriously can't stand games like quake where skill is determed how fast you can move and focus your mouse.

I enjoy tactics and planned out combat.

and wallychairmover, there's a weird code that turns off the 'low' effects for the game. there are TONS of things left out in the demo, like water reflection, 'light focus' where if you quicky look at something too bright your 'pupils' have to adjust to the shift in value(works in the darkness too).

Thanks
    yes yes, effects aside what else does it have to offer? i'm not saying it won't be good, i'm lookin forward to playin it but it's not really too amazing in that many ways. I personally don't care about water refraction and dialated pupil effects because in the end that's just more crap that my computer has to process and if those effect gameplay then they suck(in a pc speed way, not fun). Sorry I'm just not a sucker for the propoganda of the game industry, been workin in it for a litle while now and nobody has every lived up to everything they said, so let's just say i'm hesitantly excited

It's super happy wonderful fun time!
    www.fiddlegarden.com

Thanks
    well i think the game play is pretty nice. I love the little elements like throwing rocks makes people look that direction so you can sneak past them.

Thanks
    I like the way in games like quake and the older TFC's everything was determined on actual player skills, It brings a sport aspect to fps games. Tactics are important yeh, but its the players skill that make games like that fun.

Thanks
    Farcry is amazing but to be totally honest its not going to beat HL2 at all - ive played both and even the messed up leaked version blew my mind more then an official demo of farcry

-3 processors - 2 computers - 1 man-
    Nextworks Design Studio

Thanks
    Originally posted by Morlok
    Farcry is amazing but to be totally honest its not going to beat HL2 at all - ive played both and even the messed up leaked version blew my mind more then an official demo of farcry
    true that

After all, dog is a dog. A duck is a duck. But a cat is a person.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Schlo-mo
    TFC
    RAWK ON BRUTHA

Quater's Team Fortress and HL1's Team Fortress Classic are where I've had some of the greatest multiplayer gaming experiences ever. When you get good, and I mean GOOD, it becomes almost zenlike. I had very many "neo in the matrix" moments in those games over the years, and developed all kinds of stylish off-the-wall techniques and strategies...my favorites were the ones involving other teammates who would flank the enemy and immobilize them while I either cleaned up, or offered support.

I still play from time to time even though I'm considerably out of practice, but god damn, if HL2's equivalent of TFC has anything that comes even close to the experiences I had in TFC/QTF, I am SO all over that game like a drunken lapdancer.

Art student
    ~Livin' large at Watts Atelier.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.