Start to finish- the process???

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Start to finish- the process???

Ok. this is where i'm having quite a few issues. The process in which something goes from start to finish- and all the little bits in between.

Just to clarify something, i'm having trouble with digitally painting too- i almost have to have an outline of some sort to at least start off, then i can shade and colour. but its never quite the same as what you other TALENTED people do.

So, help me out here! Whats your process? Ideas, roughs, painting (HOW???), finishing touches, etc. I seriously need some guidance.

Where your once steely reserve is now merely tinned,
    You'll find it all in Morrowind

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC-EXPIALIDOSKETCH
    | LYNO | GRAFGUY | NANOBLACK | SUBLIMUS |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm having the same problem. It's pretty hard to start, but even when you start and things start to shape up a bit I get a bit lost.

I also get lost when I see a very good finished drawing. I actually get discouraged.

Now I know drawing is hard but at the same time is easy. YOu just have to start from the begining and work your way up. I'm talking here about the drawing process.

So, any help on this?

How do you people start? What is the first thing you do? After you have your shapes, (or whatevar you have) what do you do?

Thanks

Remember: Life is better with animals!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, talk about a tall order. I'm sure nobody here is going to write an essay on how they make a painting from start to finish... it would simply be too much work to do so and be very, very long.

My suggestion would to go to YouTube and look up "speed painting" videos, which may help you see the many different approaches to painting that people take.

Hope that helps.

If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. -Michelangelo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Go draw.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    (Ironically points to banner at top of page )

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ( Also to links in own sig)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    search a little harder there are plenty of vids, tuts and even a few books out there that show examples of peoples work-flows, find one you like and try it out. Even if you don't stick with that particular style you'll learn something along the way.

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    (Ironically points to banner at top of page )
    hahaha, very sharp.

yeah, besides the upcoming Foster lecture, browsing tutorials would be a good place to start. The reason that it's such a difficult question to answer is not necessarily because the answer is so complex but because there are so many different answers. Even artists who use similar methods might have very different processes.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The basic illustration process is:
    1 - Explore composition through a series of thumbnails (postage stamp size) - pushing yourself to do 20 is a good excercise
    2 - Develop more promising thumbnails as small roughs, in ratio to final painting size (6x8=18x24 for example) with slightly more attention to perspective, masses, scale, etc.
    3 - Work out the lighting through value studies
    4 - Explore mood and atmosphere with color studies
    5 - Work out a final drawing to size with full detail and value
    6 - Paint it

That's pretty much it - from start to finish. Go to Donato Giancola's site to see this process in action. Also Jim Gurney's new book "Imaginitive Realism" is an excellent book that shows how it's done. It isn't really about talent or secret techniques - it comes down to just hard work.

Great question! Have fun!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THIS is an amazing tutorial for beginners and digital painting. Read it and do the fruit painting just as it describes, very helpful.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,979 Times in 2,410 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Everybody is a little different but generally I start from the big idea and refine to the details.
    Here is an example, total time for this is three hours size is 11x14 inches for the sketch the rest is digital.
    I start with my idea and sketch it out in value only(in this case pencil)
    I then move to color and block in big shapes and get a sense of my lighting.
    Refine the shapes adjust composition and add detail.
    Finished painting
    This is rough, but everything I do is the same approach, start with the big idea and tones, direction of light and viewpoint. Refine down to finish.Hope this helps. THe problem most beginners have is they are rendering the fingernails before they know what direction the light is coming from. This is wrong. If you block in with big flat tones and be accurate with your color and value the detail is just icing on the cake but all the detail in the world will not give your image a strng sense of light or good color and value.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A basic illustration process is:
    1 - Explore composition through a series of thumbnails (postage stamp size) - pushing yourself to do 20 is a good excercise
    2 - Develop more promising thumbnails as small roughs, in ratio to final painting size (6x8=18x24 for example) with slightly more attention to perspective, masses, scale, etc.
    3 - Work out the lighting through value studies
    4 - Explore mood and atmosphere with color studies
    5 - Work out a final drawing to size with full detail and value
    6 - Paint it
    fixed. though there are aspects of that which are similar to my own process, it's certainly not the same. The "paint it" part is another process entirely, which also will have vastly different correct answers. There's no one answer to this unless you want to get so general that it won't help anybody

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It takes a while to find a process that really works for you. I've read tons of tutorials, seen demos from very talented people, read books, and such. The techniques and methods that I have witnessed belonged solely to those people. It's great to try someone else's method but it's usually not something that you can permanently apply to your own art. In school I would always approach a painting differently sometimes incorporating what was suggested to me from other artists. Sometimes I would just dive in and work intuitively and stumble upon something that really worked. Like anything else, your process and method will take a little time to develop.

There is a ton of information already here in the forums. Just look around.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the correction Dave - you're right, there are of course as many approaches as there are artists - but that is also so general as to not be helpful. Donato Giancola has an excellent series of examples of exactly this process in action which is why I suggested the link.

In general though, I do think that the majority of classical illustrators use that type of approach. I think a lot of artists just getting started don't understand that a piece has to be worked out and developed - they tend to only see something finished (even if it is only a study or quick sketch) and think you just jump right in there. Also, different media can have different approaches - I approach my digital work entirely differently than my traditional for example.

So yes, on the one hand it is a very personal journey of discovery, at the same time it pays to study and understand how the top professionals, both contemporary and historical, practice their craft.

Members who have read this thread: 1