C.O.W. #160 -- Satyr Slayer -- VOTING - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite Satyr Slayer!

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • stoph

3 4.00%
  • jspangler

1 1.33%
  • DefiledVisions

0 0%
  • radius

1 1.33%
  • JoshDArtist

0 0%
  • elzombioriginal

0 0%
  • lkjhgfdsa

3 4.00%
  • R a n d i s

7 9.33%
  • 1oshuart

0 0%
  • emerging

2 2.67%
  • Mark Tarrisse

0 0%
  • dwinbotp

5 6.67%
  • Carnifex

1 1.33%
  • MasterPete

0 0%
  • Steve Somers

6 8.00%
  • Duman

0 0%
  • JakkaS

30 40.00%
  • Etheral

1 1.33%
  • Parcel-Sisters

0 0%
  • Soulweaver

0 0%
  • Elissimo

1 1.33%
  • scorge

7 9.33%
  • Vaghauk

0 0%
  • AUG

1 1.33%
  • evolvingeye

0 0%
  • Cloister

6 8.00%
  • wizo5454

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: C.O.W. #160 -- Satyr Slayer -- VOTING

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: evolvingeye

Concept: Satyr Slayer

The Satyr Slayer, one of many creatures with a distaste for frolicking and merriment. They track and kill satyr with an ultra-sensitive sense of smell, as well as using the swarm of aggressive bees that reside within its hollowed back. Upon being found, its nearly impossible for the satyr to escape thanks to the Slayer's six legs which enable extreme speed and agility, and its swarm that can sting thousands of times in a few seconds.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Cloister

Concept: Manahkonanian Pan'morir
    In the early days when the Gods of the forests made all beasts on hoof, cloven and not cloven, they made an upright pair to represent all others. But there was one among the Gods who looked down upon the beasts of the forest. When the second one was forged this God approached it in secret and cursed it with evil whispers. So it came to be that these two, the Satyr, and the Pan'morir were made into eternal enemies. The magical Satyr, in its lustful hunts could never move safely through the deeper woods. While in the midst of intoxicating orgies, its dark brother would come and turn the feast into slaughter. Music would drown in malicious magic and the excess of sweet wine was replaced by ancient fury and blood.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cloister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist:Wizo5454

Concept: Reptilian Hound, Satyr Slayer

These wilds dogs give the Satyr's quite the shivers, even though the half-human half-beast can run fast, the Satyr Slayers can catch up with them in a few seconds. The Satyrs have learned to fear the high grass and be careful when things go a bit to quite around them... till they hear the barking sound of death.

Last edited by wizo5454; November 16th, 2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: tweaked formatting for valid entry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The following people were pulled from the poll for the following reasons:

Barts- Too humanoid. Bipeds are fine in COW, but try to push proportion, weight, center of gravity, posture to make your creature designs towards the more animalistic. Yours has a very human-like look.

Jaunay - You're just showing us the creature's face. Show the entire creature, per the rules.

Mordus, Marsch and Castlerog
    - You guys were pulled because the quality of your entries look rushed/unfinished.

Close to getting pulled: Duman (quality is pretty rough/rushed looking) R a n d i s your design is pretty humanoid, but I let it in. The animalistic qualities are there and the overall quality is nice. MasterPete-- there seems to be a lot of photomanipulation in your background which is carrying the image, not the creature design, which is a little weak. Try to focus on the design of the creature in the future.

And a special note to Vaghauk: Thank you. You really seemed to take advantage of the extra time, listened to all of the feedback you were given, kept pushing, and in my opinion came us with a really interesting concept and a very nice illustration. Keep it up. You took it a lot further than I was expecting and I appreciate your extra effort.

All righty. I will not cast a vote this week, because I think I made my views known in the WIPs thread. Let's see where the poll goes!

Thanks to everyone for their hard work. There are a lot of high quality entries this round.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Jaecks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seriously too hard to choose!
    I'll save my vote for a day or so, time to really look at them all -harmony, balance, direction- all those nasty things!

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SOOO many top-notch pieces this time. JakkaS piece was the top for me, until scorge submitted his final... I feel the mood fits the topic a bit better.

Awesome 2nd design by Vaghauk, really kickin' some ass with this one.. nicely done!
    Cloister was up there too, just a pretty good lookin' image all together, love the back lighting.

Good work everyone!

Joshua A. Davis

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoshDArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i voted jakkas.The ambience and storytelling is awesome and it´s masterly painted.A friend of mine said it is too green ... I´d say the green forest guardian got an hillarious feminin touch with his red fingernails... i just love the sympathic feeling the whole piece got.
    Followed by Steve Somers bizarre flamingo.I really like the classic feeling in this painting mixed with one weird and original creature.(Ah, and steve somers really makes an great satyr !!!! )
    Scorge did an absolutly awesome creature aswell.Honestly i was expecting a bit more from the coloring...the black and white painting was so well done and then a bit rushed in the coloring.Anyway i think i wouldn´t notice this if i would just look at the final piece.Alltogether this one inspires me alot !!!
    I really likestophs minimalistic concept - but the creature itself could have been better represented - maybe in a science book style giving us a notion of how it works in the satyrs intestins...
    dwintops is really an badass - slayer ! I agree with some of the critics he got in the wip poll about the anatomy and the position of he legs. While all looks great at first glance there are some anatomical odditys.The stomach-muscles end up strangely on the right leg for example....
    Mordus made an nice drawing - Really good pincel-srokes there and an dynamic looking beasty -would be perfect - but the left arm is messed up.
    Soulweavers piece i liked from the beginning - really nice ambience ! But i think you should have polished it up a bit and try to resolve the issue with the junction of the two parts of the creature.
    Joshdartist bug-creature is awesome - looks a bit rough in the finishing though.
    Ah- and jspanglers piping prowler ! really great beasty - nicely done. Only issue i got his the ground below the creature which should be less blurry to provide depth and the small scull in the left corner looks odd. But the creature is very believable - i just can´t stop to imagine that the satyr would hunt him dowm and make a .... pan-flute out of his horns...
    cloisters pic is very atmospheric and i love the light - just looks a bit rough in the finishing .
    Randis werewolf type hunter is very well done - just not that original - i really loved the small guy coming together with the entry - i could imagine a bunch of this baby-werewolf slaying a satyr ! Would be fun...
    All in all that was an awesome week for me - i learned a lot and really appreciate all the help i got in the wip poll !!! Thanx guys !!! Actually it was cloisters comment which made me snap and rearrange all my composition. That was an difficult moment cause the night before i was quite pleased with my progress on the pic. then i read cloisters comment - and ... shit! -he was right ! So i went back and reconstructed the whole thing- and i don´t regret it !

MichaelJaecks : thanx for your motivation and kind words ! You really pushed me to work harder last week and it means a lot to me seeing my effort recognized !!

I would like to comment on everybody else but i got to run...

Last edited by Vaghauk; November 17th, 2009 at 04:18 PM.
    Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    my vote to cloister,because,despite really liking jakkas illustration,cloister's creature made more sense to me. also,from all those "related to satyrs" concepts,it feels the most like it really is. nice little story too.
    gotta say i really liked mordus' entry too,because of the "medieval book illustration" feel to it. like people had never truly seen it,but pictured it like this.
    stoph,heh had an "inside-eater" idea too first,but then i thought,we had enough of those with the "worst nightmare for enemy" topic.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, Vaghauk, I totally forgot to post my progress in the WIP thread. I'm so burned out on this piece that I don't think a thread in the critique center is really called for, so here it is if anyone else was interested in seeing it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it" -- Confucius

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -- Albert Einstein

Pixelestial's Gallery

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixelestial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omitted, great lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jakkas got my vote this round, it's just an awesome piece of artwork, and spot on for the topic. The man deserves a gold bunny.
    I think I remarked on most of these in the WIP sectoin, but others that I enjoyed: The horns on Jspangler's are a great idea. Defiled visions had a very strong, well painted piece, nice explanation too. JoshDartist - I like it, just seems unfinished. lkjhgfdsa - I like how yours started out like one of those wooden dinosaur bone kits, a very strange, unique creature. Randis - that's a sweet drawing, just a bit humanoid for COW though, your Universal Monster was killer by the way.
    Mark Tarisse - Not sure why you abandoned the original concept, but I like the pallette your using. DwinbotP - That is one badass beast, and I really like how you worked in the bony details and have the satyr being squished like a grape. Vaghauk - already told you how well the final came together, but I have to say I'm sad to see you didn't finish your "sailing into port" for EOW, that was a cool piece.

Updates and new work:
    www.stevesomersart.blogspot.com

CA Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=175919

Available for freelance

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stevesomers : - oh ! thanx - you are totally right - i FORGOT about the sailing into port illustration while painting thorny .... - he sucked my whole energy - but i think i´m going to finish it anyway.... thanx for the reminder!

Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good job everyone. i feel like i slacked off on this one haha. Jakkas nailed it. Simply PRO. See you in next round everyone!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well this was hard beetween scorge and jakkas.
    but chosed scorge in the end.

I shot the sheriff.
    Now I'm the sheriff.

March's Sketchbook

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AUG i quite enjoy your style - very different from everyone else's work. keep up the good work

24. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

AUG

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Went with cloister. Great story and the redone rendering blew me away. Nice!

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Carnifex's slayer. I thought it was a very imaginative and unique creature design. If this were a multi-vote activity, I would have surely included many of the other entries, which were wonderfully conceived and beautifully rendered. Hats of to all who participated.

emerging- Thanks! I still have a lot to learn. I'm finding that being too different is not always a positive thing.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to AUG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, sorry I haven't post any comments, but something came out and I am hardly finding time to finish my entry for current COW.

I already voted for Cloister. I dig the composition, mood and design of the creature. Maybe it is not as unique as few others but it's still solid work, and the Satyr is really terrified.

Thanks for all your comments and votes!
    Cheers
    Kuba

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a hard one to choose. . so many great entries. Holy crap, I wantz them.
    But seriously, great stuff! I voted for dwinbotp's creature, since to me it had satyr SLAYER written all over it. Some of the others, although superbly executed (bows down) did not say "satyr slayer" but rather more "forest guardian" or "cool predator". Nonetheless, you can all be proud of yourselves.

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.