Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    JakkaS: Dude, you just come waltzing in here with your professional grade piece of visual ass kicking. You melted my eyes.
    Its a good thing.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 706 Posts

Thanks
    Hey guys, I am glad you like it

Btw, I have added a short description to my entry.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    heh.. jakkas,this is one of the few times where a picture wouldn't actually need a description...everything is perfectly clear looking at it...love it! just now noticed that the satyr himself is in the picture too
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    jakkas :absolutly outstanding ! This truly makes me want to work much harder ! really amazing composition and everything !
    Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

Thanks
    JakkaS: an inspiration!!! damned good work!!! thanks!
    Joshua A. Davis

Thanks
    Perhaps I should give you all another week.

Hmmm?

JakkaS: If I had the power to give you a hundred more stars for this entry alone, you know I would do it.

I will resist the temptation to make this A POLL OF ONE and give you all a chance.

ONE MORE WEEK.

The new deadline is November 16th.

GO GO NOW GO AND TRY.....

Thanks
    I didn't get to participate this week, so glad to see I have more time! Some kick ass satyr slayers so far from you guys, I must say.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks View Post

I will resist the temptation to make this A POLL OF ONE and give you all a chance.
    ...what?
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    I think (if I may be so bold) that Michael Jaecks is saying that there is a clear winner (which, I agree) in JakkaS work.
    So, in order to allow some people (most) to have a chance to get it up to snuff, we get another week.
    (?) at least... that's what I gathered.. I may be completely wrong, but it's the only thing I can think of.. )
    Joshua A. Davis

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshDArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think its clear Jakkas' work would be the winner. But if we are getting an extension I will be taking this opportunity to go "back to the drawing board" and try to learn from his piece rather than keep overworking my original.

Thanks
    My eyes are bleeding it is so beautiful, nice work JakkaS
    My Sketchbeezy Fo Sheezy
    "We don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents." - Bob Ross

Thanks
    A BIG "Thank You" to Jakkas, for such a wonderful piece of asskickin' art, truly inspiring!!!
    And another BIG "Thank You" to Michael Jaecks, for giving all of us another chance to even up the odds a little and not making it really a poll of one(which in my humble opinion, is just really what it'll be anyhow)

So Ladies and Gents, We better haul ass and get our collective s**t together LOL

Thanks
    ohhhh.. it's on like Donkey Kong!!!
    Joshua A. Davis

Thanks
    As I've gone through this thread, I have been constantly inspired. Then when I saw Michael Jaecks's post, that feeling went away in a hurry. I'm sorry, but some truly excellent stuff has been created this week, and I don't only mean JakkaS's piece -- this round has arguably produced the highest all-around quality in some time! Jaecks, when you extend the deadline by an extra week so everyone can "catch up" to your favorite, you're being rather patronizing. I come here to measure myself against great artists in a fair and equal manner, not to be talked down to. Yes, JakkaS's work is excellent and has a good chance of winning, and yes, it's okay that you're a fan and all, but what you're doing is outright dismissing everyone who isn't JakkaS. That's uncalled for in a community dedicated to helping artists of all skill levels.

GO GO NOW GO AND TRY.....
    I mean, really? Taunting?

JakkaS: Pink fingernails are an interesting choice. My only crit is that the green light on the nymph's butt is forming a tangent with the creature's tail, which makes her appear "cut in half" at a quick glance. It's a small distraction in an otherwise wonderful painting.

Duman: That turned out pretty well, but I wish the creature shared some of the great shadows and textures that the background has. I would get some reference for the fur; the lack of highlights is flattening it out.

Vaghauk: The happy background colors don't match the mean and scary-looking creature, and the contrast is jarring. And with so much sunlight, I would expect a little bit of green bounce light on his underside from the grass. Beautifully painted overall, but you might want to consider varying the hues of the background to something less "happy" -- the green is too green, the blue is too blue, etc.

Carnifex: There are a few "lure" type satyr slayers here, but I think you've incorporated the lure into the design most cleverly. But the background forest is very saturated, which is killing the depth of the image. The foreground plants and tree trunk could use more detail too, in order to pull them forward.

David79: Ooh, I love the juicy pencil sketches. (And the "GRR!" sketch is just hilarious!) The color version doesn't feel finished yet, so I'll hold off on commenting on it for now.

Randis: You've definitely captured the feeling of great speed and viciousness. But it's too humanoid for COW, perhaps.

Lightmode108: Probably the best way to get better at digital painting is to start with the basics. Using a reference, study human and animal anatomy. Do value studies in black and white before progressing to color. Focus not only on details, but also pay attention to where light and shadows fall.

Etheral: Texture, color, and mood are all top-notch (some of this was lost in the final, IMO). The creature design, while functional, feels like something I've seen before. Sometimes simple is good, but it's missing something.

Lenorekitty: You've got some wonderful sketches that make the creature feel very solid and alive, but I'll hold off on commenting more until I see a final.

Mark Tarrisse: I like the colors and design you've chosen. The background, while nice, makes it feel like more of a marsh or grassland creature than a forest creature.

AUG: Great energy and colors -- it really cleaned up nice in the finals thread.

El Capohan: The lop-eared creature is interesting, but COW might still be a little beyond your skill level at this point. There's not anything wrong with that -- everyone you see here had to start somewhere. Work on your anatomy knowledge, both human and animal. Try to draw from life and photographs instead of from cartoons and comics. I hope to see you back here much improved in a few months.

jspangler: The bottom version does have some richer shadows, but I probably wouldn't have noticed a difference unless you had pointed it out. The creature design is simple and functional (I like the face and pipe-horns especially), and I think simplicity is a good thing in your case.

Draugth: Good start, but the sketch is too unclear for me to make much of it.

MasterPete: You're able to notice the flaws in your own painting, and that's a good thing. It does not have any readability because the silhouettes of the two subjects obscure one another. A good clear silhouette is more important than an action pose for a creature design competition like COW.

lkjhgfdsa: The intricacy of your paintings never ceases to amaze me. The earlier version looked like a photograph of a bizarre wooden sculpture. However, the straight-on profile view is perhaps a bit uninteresting. And a fish creature seems a little out of place in a forest.

Steve Somers: That is so surreal and alien, made even more so by all the pink. I imagine it moving in a very weird and creepy way. I'm glad you ditched the arms from the earlier version, since there are already a few centaur-shaped creatures running around here as it is.

AestheticMachine: Maybe it's just me, but the word "slayer" makes me think of a hunting creature, rather than a sit-and-wait type of predator. Even so, I hope you take this further.

JoshDArtist: Part spider, part dog? Neat combination, although it is skirting the edges of the topic. Nothing about it specifically says "satyr slayer" to me.

Jaunay: All this time, I thought the tall dark shape behind the "fruit" and under the eyes was a doorway-shaped mouth. I only just now realized that's a shadow, and now that I've noticed the real mouth, I like the design quite a bit more. As COW is a creature design competition, though, the anatomy of the creature should be much more clear at a glance.

sepu: It's got potential, but are you going to take it further?

1oshuart: A good idea, but the woman-shaped lure could be integrated into the creature more convincingly. It looks a bit tacked on.

JaderGader: I like it from what little I can see. The creature probably needs to be more separate from the tree in order to get past the "no plant-like creatures" rule.

mongreldesigns: I think the creature needs to be more separated from the host satyr, so we can see its actual anatomy. A satyr with a mouth running down its body does not make a creature design.

Parcel-sisters: That's utterly bizarre, but that's a good thing. Fills my daily quota of weirdness. As much as I like it, I can't figure out a good biological reason for the face to be upside-down, since the eyes/nose/brain are taking up space where the windpipe should be.

Mitch-King: That's a neat painting. I especially like the first WIP; I'm loving the energy, and the extremely vertical composition makes the creature seem gigantic and imposing. I'm having trouble thinking of crits, except that maybe some might consider the creature unoriginal and too similar to a satyr.

bad_painter: That's a nice little sketch. Not much more I can say for a work at such an early stage.

Mike D: It definitely feels like it belongs in a dark, creepy forest. It's skirting the "no human-like" rule, though.

Defiled Visions: It's been a real treat to watch this one develop from the sketch. You sure captured the "madness" aspect.

Mordus: I was really hoping you would develop your sketch further, since the design has some potential.
    Last edited by Pixelestial; November 10th, 2009 at 01:27 AM.
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it" -- Confucius

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -- Albert Einstein

Pixelestial's Gallery

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pixelestial For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast