Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    mark tarrisse - nr.5 ftw.

finally had time to scan. now it's off to colour!
    as said,related to the siren bird,but uses visual instead of audible lure. when viewed directly from front,it will look slightly like a dancing,naked woman - an easy lure for drunk-off-their-ass satyrs,especially when the creature starts wriggling.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Guys Cool Satyr Slayers,! Q: are you suppose to name your file like this Darknight_cow#160.jpg or does it even matter? Thanx Kinda a newb

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    Mark Tarrisse: I'd have to say #4 mate, #3 looks good, but very rodent-ish.

Great work all round guys.

Some lovely twisted things happening to the Satyrs I'm glad to see.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darknight View Post
    Hey Guys Cool Satyr Slayers,! Q: are you suppose to name your file like this Darknight_cow#160.jpg or does it even matter? Thanx Kinda a newb
    Kinda a newb myself, Darknight, so I don't know. I looked through the rules and didn't see anything but I'm going to rename mine just in case. Better safe than sorry, right?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jspangler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have not seen any creature in this topic that could catch a satyr.
    satyrs are really fast running creatures that are very agile and run in the forest with no effort. your creatures couldn't catch one in my opinion.

a satyr isn't going to wait for your creature to come and get it you know.

Thanks
    Ok thanks a lot everyone for telling which head type you prefered, I finally made the combo of 3 and 4, (hope you guys like it).
    I think I'm done I'm not going to post it immediatly to the finals, I still want to have some comments and critics if you have some

Sooo here it is :
    C.O.W. #160 -- Satyr Slayer -- Posting WIPs Thread

Thanks
    Mark Tarrisse - I really like the creature. One thing I loved about the sketches of 3 & 4 was the way the eyes look very open and white. Kind of like the way a lion's eyes look when shot with a night vision camera and the light is fully reflected.

It's not a critique, just a stylistic opinion, but I think your creature would look more feral and predatory with less of a visible pupil and more of a distinct eye like it's absorbing light.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jspangler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by C0mBineD View Post
    satyrs are really fast running creatures that are very agile and run in the forest with no effort. your creatures couldn't catch one in my opinion.

I respectfully submit that my four-legged "Piping Howler" could easily catch and take down a satyr in a short burst. remember that Satyr's are bipedal and that will slow them down.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by C0mBineD View Post

i think you're being a little harsh, true my first thoughts were of a fast creature but one that lays in ambush could work too. and one that's simply a huge beast could gain a reputation as a satyr slayer without actually being all that efficient through brutality alone. however i do believe there were a few dog-like entries which would be a natural predator for goats so yeah.
    it's definitely something to keep in mind for the artists though.

anyway onto my opinions so far

Mark Tarrisse: welcome and i like it, seems a little too suited for an african desert environment but there could be a different breed of satyrs living there. yeah looks cool to me, i can't see anything technically wrong, but aesthetically i'm not a fan of the thumb on its forelimbs.

carnifex: lol that's a weird and cool idea. i would try to change the overall form a bit, right now it's like an L shape, straight down and straight back. it would look better imo if you could curve the slayers neck forward a bit so that the lure head and the boobs aren't so far apart. then melt the lure legs into the slayers chest/torso so that they tuck in under the creature. the horns on the slayers head might be a bit of a giveaway if these things have been slaying for some time already so maybe sweep them back so they aren't so visible from the front view.

aug: >_< love those colours and the creatures shape is so creepy, like something out of mythology. i'd love to see a follow up and also welcome to c.ow.

jspangler: to me the one at the top looks overly saturated... well either way i prefer the calibrated one

vaghaulk: swineboobs are wonky D: and its hooves look like fake ones you put over shoes. i'd say ref some pig legs, those look way too human. imo it could look cool with some big fur around the neck+shoulders. going more for a boar look than a pig

draugth: could be a nice idea, though i see no clear way for it to actually slay satyrs. and what is it actually storing on its back there? add some lethality and you'd have a solid concept.

masterpete: i second steve somers, that unicorn a) looks a bit like a sheep (which is possibly intentional) and b) has a very confusing pose. the hind legs seem to be flying out to the side as if they weren't supporting the body. i think you could go for an easier semi-referenced pose that could emphasize the unicorn's power/strength too. establish your ground + perspective first.

lkjhgfdsa: insane design man. i agree the first scheme focuses more on the creature.

defiledvisions: the render is amazing, i love this painterly look. the claws are really nice.

stevesomers: that neck looks like it's just gonna snap but i do love how freakish it looks so meh. plus i guess the theme of a satyr slayer allows for more fantastic mythologic design. molerat pegasus idea is just wow, disgustingly cool.

aestheticmachine: i think that maybe the idea is a little too enviro for c.o.w. it's a neat idea but if it's just gonna look like a cave it might be missing the point of c.o.w. you could take being cavelike and then add some organics around it somehow. maybe have the rocky cave part only be the mouth and hands/claws, could be a bit more complex. tbh i really liked the look of the bottom right sketch in your first post.

duman: if you go with the first, try exaggerating it's anatomy. take reference from those crazy ahnold bulls maybe, have it hunch over, walk on its knucles maybe, just get away from looking too human. if you go with the second, i'd give it a tail that can hold onto branches and lower and raise the creature quickly enough to grab the head and disappear taking the satyr with it. a forest full of these creatures could be pretty terrifying.

ethereal: cool pic but yeah the bioluminescence is really adding too much character. i don't think the slayers need to be as intelligent as the satyrs, just wanting to party sounds a little off to me so yeah hmm a little too anthro in the pose too. back to the drawing board with ye... you know if you want >_>

lenore kitty: these are awesome, can't wait to see what you do with the skin/fur

joshdartist: i love the backwards legs, that's a really nice touch. leech mouth is cool too, imo the head is a little too helmet looking and using some of the mechanics of the hind legs in the front legs would add to the design

jaunay: i'm not seeing what you're saying in the pic itself, it's just a sorta oblong face

sepu: ref some beast legs, it's a good overall shape/pose but nothing special so make it yours with some customisation

1oshuart: fuse the woman into the creature better, it looks like she's just being carried on the back. the mister potato head feet are the cause of much confusion, how would this thing move? the face is way too human.

jadergader: nice idea, hope we get to see an update

mitchking: i love it but as a cow entry it just looks like an undead satyr
    Last edited by mythril_golem; November 7th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mythril_golem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    and also

parcel sisters: love the upside down head idea, add more corruption, ref some warhammer nurgle chaos. idk i just want to see it get realy evil. too cartoony for me right now

mordus: damn i really want to see an update, that looks really nice as a sketch i wonder if you can transfer that energy into a final image.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mythril_golem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mark Tarrisse : I like your creature. I might try to define the texture of the fur on it's back. And while I think the background is working, making it a complete background would help, I think. There is just too much pink background right now.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is where I've ended up. Ill be adding fur/scales here and there and Ill upload my progress tonight. Pretty rough sketch for now but it will contain three "slayers", a dead Satyr and Grape vines depicting the vineyard...

These "slayers" will hunt down trespassing satyrs on their master's vineyard and strategically chase them down. The vintner knows where each "slayer" is due to their large tails they hold high above their bodies. Once the satyr has been killed they howl, signaling to the vintner to come and collect the body. Most satyrs don't reach the wine barrels and very rarely get away with just fruit.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lenorekitty For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jspangler View Post
    Mark Tarrisse - I really like the creature. One thing I loved about the sketches of 3 & 4 was the way the eyes look very open and white. Kind of like the way a lion's eyes look when shot with a night vision camera and the light is fully reflected.

It's not a critique, just a stylistic opinion, but I think your creature would look more feral and predatory with less of a visible pupil and more of a distinct eye like it's absorbing light.
    I will second what Jspangler says about the eye, that was my first thought as well. Nice peice dude!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyberman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Alright, I have not had the time to work on this as much as I wanted. Here is a quick update with, well, really only the background right now.
    Im going to try and make the deadline, but no promises this week.
    C.O.W. #160 -- Satyr Slayer -- Posting WIPs Thread

Thanks
    this is where iv'e gotten to so far, been pretty damn difficuilt for me my,terrible design skills an anchor round my neck -_-
    painted myself for 3 hours into a dead end.
    going to come back to it tomorrow.
    any way cheers for pointing out the anthropomorphic element mythril golem, didnt occur to me, its not a major problem but i think i'll play with the anatomy a little and mash it up. oh yeah and i already took out the tats, oh and the description was just a brain fart so disregard ive thought up a better one.
    ty u for the critique

mark tarrisse: loving ure use of texture, very natural colours. are you going to fill in the rest of the bg or leave it like is?
    lenore kitty: love your style of anatomy, good luk dl's soon
    carnifex: i think the most original concept so far, i suggest that u try to make the *illusions* anatomy more in realistic proportion if u can.
    aug: the fun way to desigh eh? looking cool, keeping pulling form ^^
    masterpete: i would say get horse reference for the unicorn but this is a cow thread, so maybe u should get horse ref to straighten it out but modify it at some point.
    mythril golem: very pretty wall of text XD
    edit* duman: to be in perspective, his left foot needs to be lower than his right, and his right shoulder should be a bit more ecliped by his chest.

Attachment 823732
    Last edited by Etheral; November 7th, 2009 at 09:30 PM.
    cut me. i bleed paint.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Etheral For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast