Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. #160 -- Satyr Slayer -- Posting WIPs Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thor demon wip 001

THORN demon
    this is a pencil-sketch of the fearsome thorn demon. Took me a looooooooot of messy drawings to finally decide this sketch.... got a bit nervous with all that awesome slayers and forest-guardians lurking around....
    Name:  thorndemonwip001.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  101.8 KB

Last edited by Vaghauk; November 11th, 2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: ....
    Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thorn-demon wip02

some more progress on the thorn demon.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vaghauk - I like the space on this one, you have extreme foreground, and the narrative is already there. I know you'll probably paint over your original line drawing there, but just for future reference there is an awesome tutorial by Bugmeyer for deleting white from a drawing on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDq426DMC04

Updates and new work:
    www.stevesomersart.blogspot.com

CA Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=175919

Available for freelance

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The extended deadline stays.

JakkaS' entry stays.

When I said poll of one, you do of course understand that I would have had to pull myself from that poll, don't you?

This is not about my ego and it is not about who is friends with who.

This is about what good is.

Carry on.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Jaecks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im not sure Im going to have the time to keep working on this, sadly enough. Fate seems to have conspired against my productivity.
    I will, however, be waiting for the improved finals with anticipation.
    See you all next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thorndemon wip03

steve somers - yeah - i deleted the white in the worse possible way...
    thanx for the link to youtube - i actually saw this specific vid before - but it takes always a damn long time until some "new" function enters my workflow.I normally insist on repeting errors and do it the complicated way...

the basic for my satyrslayer nº2 is ready.innicially he was supposed to hang in the trees- well- somehow during my scribbling he descendet to the ground.
    Actually i like the way he moves--- even if it´s not very realistic.But since we are in the terrain of myth´s....
    he can fast-grow and shrink his thorny arms and fingers,that´s how hes going to catch that frightend satyr.
    going to add a few more background elements (like trees and shrubbery) before i start with colors.
    Name:  thorndemonwip03.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  56.6 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vaghauk - I hear ya, I've got that shortcut written on a note next to my computer.. Your thorn demon is looking very dynamic, sort of the antithesis of a big tree monster. Hope there'll be a lot of little thorny details in there.

Updates and new work:

CA Sketchbook:

Available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks View Post
    The extended deadline stays.

JakkaS' entry stays.

When I said poll of one, you do of course understand that I would have had to pull myself from that poll, don't you?

This is not about my ego and it is not about who is friends with who.

This is about what good is.

Carry on.
    I'm still confused as to why JakkaS' entry would be pulled... voluntarily or otherwise. Do people want him penalized for being too good?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New and Improved SATYR SLAYER™
    Check out these HOT new features!

• Deadly ATTACK!!® tail
    • Throat Ripper Claws! Now in Hot Pink!!
    • Improved Forest Fauna!
    • and other changes too subtle to be worth mention!

So what do you guys think? Are they trivial improvements? Am I beating a dead centaur here?

Updates and new work:

CA Sketchbook:

Available for freelance

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Steve Somers - Nice. Far more menacing in my opinion. You also worked on the legs and there is definitely an increased sense of tense menace coming from the creature.

For some reason I see a sort of strange one-toothed baby head when I look at the creature's "face". Its very odd but it is clearly intentional and weird in the same way that some animals mimic human faces through coloration and pattern.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jspangler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks View Post
    Perhaps I should give you all another week.

Hmmm?

ONE MORE WEEK.

The new deadline is November 16th.

GO GO NOW GO AND TRY.....
    I
    Am
    In

Good to see you're still alive and kicking ass Jakkas. Very inspirational.

Steve Somers: Stepping it up ten fold with each round. Quick study huh?

Dwinbotp: Might be too late for a crit, but that left foot's killing me and the right leg looks a bit large. Awesome design.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

18. The Following User Says Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    steve somers :yeah ! that baby head is really scary !!! the overall pose looks much more threatning aswell - and i like the improved forest fauna ! I think the lightning is still a bit unconsistant.
    But it´s not a bad thing at all - depends how you look at it.... it´s a bit like this is staged and lightned for some bizarre opera or theater piece!
    I´m new in the concept art thing - i studied illustration - but i´m still a bit confused how one can measure what´s "good" in concept art... i mean - shouldn´t it depend on what the concept art is used for ---? Steven somers - you said this some weeks ago if i remember right. Made me thinking.Now we are doing a satyr slayer concept art piece. Very well.But wouldn´t it help and be interesting to decide also what it would be used for? Like we could say :
    "this week we are doing a satyr slayer ( or whatever) for an fantasy - action movie".Or for an digital animation movie or an publicity on parfume - or idon´t know what more ....
    Big and muscled beasts could be good for an action movie and a the bizarre and strange beasts could go for an publicity or animation approach.If we would put it like that it could limit our inspiration somehow (depending for example which director would do that action movie or in which decade the movie is made....etc.) but on the other hand it would be a nice exercise....
    meanwhile this is about creatures in the first place - so i guess in the end it really doesn´t matter what it´s for. What matters is that lot´s of people like it.....
    still - i´m wondering how it would be to do an very restrictive topic - like it seems to happen mre on chow.
    ....... oh well-enough philosophy ! back to the plastic-scratching-digital-wonders.....

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vaghauk - When you're considering what these are for, it's ultimately you who will make that determination. Some guys really want to do Illustration work for some of the popular titles out there, Magic, D&D, Warhammer, or whatever. But there's plenty of other uses; galleries, prints, movie concepts etc. So if you have an audience or a market in mind, or just want to learn more, then work towards that end. The voting is just another form of critique and encouragement.

Scorge - AWESOME, you're in!! Can't wait to see what emerges from that brain of yours!

jspangler - yeah.. it is sort of a creepy baby huey head there now that you mention it, now it's kind of creepin me out too...

If any of you guys have a minute I'd love some crits on this piece I've been chipping away at all year, ... It's in the WIP critique area, here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=173836

fresh eyes needed...and here's a thumbnail....

Updates and new work:

CA Sketchbook:

Available for freelance

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jspangler View Post
    I'm still confused as to why JakkaS' entry would be pulled... voluntarily or otherwise. Do people want him penalized for being too good?
    JakkaS suggested that he be pulled from the poll, but I won't do it.

If the tone of my comments or my enthusiasm for his entry and return to COW offended anyone, I apologize. It's not my intent to offend or hurt any feelings... I just want to push the quality level up. I certainly would never do something so silly as to post a poll of one literally. But his entry really did up the game, in my opinion, so I offered the time extention.

Time extentions on a project are not something you're going to experience very often in your profressional careers. The extention was not offered because anyone wasn't 'good enough,' I just want everyone to put forward their best effort here. I know you guys are capable, and I look forward to seeing finals Monday.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Jaecks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    michael jaecks : i think your enthusiasm takes us all to the right direction. You did well to react and write what was going on on your mind and was really important to you. That makes this activity much more instructive for everybody.No offense taken for sure ! on the contrary - good lesson taken here- for free and for everybody on the globe having pacience to participate in this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jaecks! I've been really busy this week with university studies, and also considered my piece finished so I was posting it hoping for the best. This extension will give me the extra help I need to rework some aspects, mainly render the feet completely, sloppy texture there, and depth (it appears a bit flat).

Loving all the pieces so far, I'll add some crits when I have time.
    Jakkas seing your piece was really cool since I've been pushing to reach your level and you've been an inspiration ever since I found out what cow was. Watching you in action has been great!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thorndemon wip04

okay here we go. the thorn demons sufferd some "final" modifications - before, all the perspective was messed up cause you could see his back while the whole pic was set on froggy-perspective - so what i did was showing his breast instead of his boring back. And - i change his fairy tale face to an more evil-badass-face -
    getting ready for colors ....
    what do you think ?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Vaghauk mate, just want to say it's a really cool design! Though there are still some issues I want to point out.
    The way you are portraying the satyr he is looking out in the distance, and we as viewers sort of associate with him. "We see what he sees" because of the angle. You depth is good, it works with the perspective. However the creature ruins the whole sense of it. It's hard to explain in words..I'll try. The creature appears to be flat, we see the body in profile, as if it didn't exist in space but on a plain surface.

The way I see the piece is as if the creature happens to just walk by and then spots the satyr. It would have more impact if you had the creature face the satyr with its whole body, it would add an intent of tracking down and killing the satyr and not just happening to walk by.
    Also sharpening the foregrounds would do good. Some of the trees far back are sharper than the feet far up front which ruins the depth. Focus should be on satyr and the creature's head and upper body. Hope it helps.

Last edited by DefiledVisions; November 12th, 2009 at 07:57 PM.

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thorn demon wip 5 -colors

started to give some colors - and added some special features ----
    hope you like ---
    any suggestions and crits very appreciated !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    defilesvision - thanx for the crit - actually the idea of the pic really is that the creature just seems to pass by - it even does a little two-fingers-walking- game to distract the satyr - which is scared enough - and if you look nearer you can see yhat the creature is not just passing but extending his thorny fingers to catch the satyr from back while he´s looking up.
    But it´s true that there are some multiple perspectives working here which i don´t understand by myself very well - but i think it works anyway.
    The direct attack pose was not the thing i wanted to show here - more the apparently passing danger which sneaks up from behind ----

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thorndemon wip06

some color balance and more details -but there is still quite a bit to do ---
    does the creature still looks very flat ???? any crits are welcome ----

Last edited by Vaghauk; November 13th, 2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: agreed with carnifex on colors ...

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    say,what time of the day are you planning for this painting? i actually liked the previous step better in that aspect, more like eveningfall. this one's more dawning of new day,dunno if that fits so well with the subject.
    overall i'm quite impressed with your progress on these chows.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    carnifex - yeah you are right - got to darken that sky - i also liked more the night-feeling.
    thanx for pointing this out !
    hey-and thanx - nice to hear this !!!- this activities really push me further - glad my effort is showing !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vaghauk: you are really rockin' along with those updates! keep it up!

Joshua A. Davis

39. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshDArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't really planning on entering but since we have more time I might try to create something else, this doesn't feel very original.

Tainted ram-like creature.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Elissimo - its a cool crit (damn .....so far with my tainted crit idea ~_~....ho well back to the drawing board T_T) but it doesnt seem like the type of crit that will eat \feed on\maybe even hurt a satyr.i think that if yull change the face into something more evil /intimidating/satyr none friendly itll fit more.
    maybe different face (demonic ones) or maybe the taint deformed the rams face/parts of its body and made it abomination like (it has a mouth on the shoulder for example or something like that,arms going out from places theyre not supposed to be ) has lots of potential in it
    looking forward for updates ^_^

42. The Following User Says Thank You to acb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback/ideas acb ^^

I'm thinking of doing something more like a werewolf or werecat? Since the satyrs are based on goats it seems likely that some kind of humanoid predatory animal would be chasing them. I'll definitely try to incorporate some of your demonic suggestions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here is another one...

Last edited by Cloister; November 13th, 2009 at 01:18 PM.

45. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cloister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of hot entries this week and some controversy to go along with it all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    somebody knows when "exactly" is the deadline - today or on monday ???

ah okay - sorry for asking--- i see now it´s monday - ....

Last edited by Vaghauk; November 13th, 2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: ....asking dumb questions.....

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1