Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks

thor demon wip 001

THORN demon
    this is a pencil-sketch of the fearsome thorn demon. Took me a looooooooot of messy drawings to finally decide this sketch.... got a bit nervous with all that awesome slayers and forest-guardians lurking around....
    Attachment 826823
    Last edited by Vaghauk; November 11th, 2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: ....
    Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thorn-demon wip02

some more progress on the thorn demon.
    Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

Thanks
    Vaghauk - I like the space on this one, you have extreme foreground, and the narrative is already there. I know you'll probably paint over your original line drawing there, but just for future reference there is an awesome tutorial by Bugmeyer for deleting white from a drawing on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDq426DMC04

Updates and new work:
    www.stevesomersart.blogspot.com

CA Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=175919

Available for freelance

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The extended deadline stays.

JakkaS' entry stays.

When I said poll of one, you do of course understand that I would have had to pull myself from that poll, don't you?

This is not about my ego and it is not about who is friends with who.

This is about what good is.

Carry on.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Jaecks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Im not sure Im going to have the time to keep working on this, sadly enough. Fate seems to have conspired against my productivity.
    I will, however, be waiting for the improved finals with anticipation.
    See you all next week.

Thanks

thorndemon wip03

steve somers - yeah - i deleted the white in the worse possible way...
    thanx for the link to youtube - i actually saw this specific vid before - but it takes always a damn long time until some "new" function enters my workflow.I normally insist on repeting errors and do it the complicated way...

the basic for my satyrslayer nº2 is ready.innicially he was supposed to hang in the trees- well- somehow during my scribbling he descendet to the ground.
    Actually i like the way he moves--- even if it´s not very realistic.But since we are in the terrain of myth´s....
    he can fast-grow and shrink his thorny arms and fingers,that´s how hes going to catch that frightend satyr.
    going to add a few more background elements (like trees and shrubbery) before i start with colors.
    Attachment 827274

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Vaghauk - I hear ya, I've got that shortcut written on a note next to my computer.. Your thorn demon is looking very dynamic, sort of the antithesis of a big tree monster. Hope there'll be a lot of little thorny details in there.

Updates and new work:

CA Sketchbook:

Available for freelance

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks View Post
    The extended deadline stays.

JakkaS' entry stays.

When I said poll of one, you do of course understand that I would have had to pull myself from that poll, don't you?

This is not about my ego and it is not about who is friends with who.

This is about what good is.

Carry on.
    I'm still confused as to why JakkaS' entry would be pulled... voluntarily or otherwise. Do people want him penalized for being too good?

Thanks
    New and Improved SATYR SLAYER™
    Check out these HOT new features!

• Deadly ATTACK!!® tail
    • Throat Ripper Claws! Now in Hot Pink!!
    • Improved Forest Fauna!
    • and other changes too subtle to be worth mention!

So what do you guys think? Are they trivial improvements? Am I beating a dead centaur here?

Updates and new work:

CA Sketchbook:

Available for freelance

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Steve Somers - Nice. Far more menacing in my opinion. You also worked on the legs and there is definitely an increased sense of tense menace coming from the creature.

For some reason I see a sort of strange one-toothed baby head when I look at the creature's "face". Its very odd but it is clearly intentional and weird in the same way that some animals mimic human faces through coloration and pattern.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jspangler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks View Post
    Perhaps I should give you all another week.

Hmmm?

ONE MORE WEEK.

The new deadline is November 16th.

GO GO NOW GO AND TRY.....
    I
    Am
    In

Good to see you're still alive and kicking ass Jakkas. Very inspirational.

Steve Somers: Stepping it up ten fold with each round. Quick study huh?

Dwinbotp: Might be too late for a crit, but that left foot's killing me and the right leg looks a bit large. Awesome design.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

19. The Following User Says Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    steve somers :yeah ! that baby head is really scary !!! the overall pose looks much more threatning aswell - and i like the improved forest fauna ! I think the lightning is still a bit unconsistant.
    But it´s not a bad thing at all - depends how you look at it.... it´s a bit like this is staged and lightned for some bizarre opera or theater piece!
    I´m new in the concept art thing - i studied illustration - but i´m still a bit confused how one can measure what´s "good" in concept art... i mean - shouldn´t it depend on what the concept art is used for ---? Steven somers - you said this some weeks ago if i remember right. Made me thinking.Now we are doing a satyr slayer concept art piece. Very well.But wouldn´t it help and be interesting to decide also what it would be used for? Like we could say :
    "this week we are doing a satyr slayer ( or whatever) for an fantasy - action movie".Or for an digital animation movie or an publicity on parfume - or idon´t know what more ....
    Big and muscled beasts could be good for an action movie and a the bizarre and strange beasts could go for an publicity or animation approach.If we would put it like that it could limit our inspiration somehow (depending for example which director would do that action movie or in which decade the movie is made....etc.) but on the other hand it would be a nice exercise....
    meanwhile this is about creatures in the first place - so i guess in the end it really doesn´t matter what it´s for. What matters is that lot´s of people like it.....
    still - i´m wondering how it would be to do an very restrictive topic - like it seems to happen mre on chow.
    ....... oh well-enough philosophy ! back to the plastic-scratching-digital-wonders.....

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Vaghauk - When you're considering what these are for, it's ultimately you who will make that determination. Some guys really want to do Illustration work for some of the popular titles out there, Magic, D&D, Warhammer, or whatever. But there's plenty of other uses; galleries, prints, movie concepts etc. So if you have an audience or a market in mind, or just want to learn more, then work towards that end. The voting is just another form of critique and encouragement.

Scorge - AWESOME, you're in!! Can't wait to see what emerges from that brain of yours!

jspangler - yeah.. it is sort of a creepy baby huey head there now that you mention it, now it's kind of creepin me out too...

If any of you guys have a minute I'd love some crits on this piece I've been chipping away at all year, ... It's in the WIP critique area, here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=173836

fresh eyes needed...and here's a thumbnail....

Updates and new work:

CA Sketchbook:

Available for freelance

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jspangler View Post
    I'm still confused as to why JakkaS' entry would be pulled... voluntarily or otherwise. Do people want him penalized for being too good?
    JakkaS suggested that he be pulled from the poll, but I won't do it.

If the tone of my comments or my enthusiasm for his entry and return to COW offended anyone, I apologize. It's not my intent to offend or hurt any feelings... I just want to push the quality level up. I certainly would never do something so silly as to post a poll of one literally. But his entry really did up the game, in my opinion, so I offered the time extention.

Time extentions on a project are not something you're going to experience very often in your profressional careers. The extention was not offered because anyone wasn't 'good enough,' I just want everyone to put forward their best effort here. I know you guys are capable, and I look forward to seeing finals Monday.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Jaecks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    michael jaecks : i think your enthusiasm takes us all to the right direction. You did well to react and write what was going on on your mind and was really important to you. That makes this activity much more instructive for everybody.No offense taken for sure ! on the contrary - good lesson taken here- for free and for everybody on the globe having pacience to participate in this.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast