Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    Steve Somers - if I were to say change anything in your piece I would say the head and tail for me are a bit confusing. The head is vague... I'm not sure what is what... however that does greatly enhance its horror. And the tail should be erect and mobile if it has a stinger. Even if it doesn't very few creatures actually allow their tail to drag. But it is one of the better pieces for sure so those are nit-picky details.

As I said before I am going to have to move on and just raise my own bar for the next one. I have very limited time so even working every night after work I will be hard-pressed to turn in my CHOW on time. But please, give me criticisms on the "prowler". Just like any artist it is difficult for me to see my own weaknesses.

Vaughauk - i didn't mean to belittle anyone for expressing their opinions. I just meant that Jakkas feeling that he needed to withdraw his entry due to it being "too good" is nuts. Nuts, people... f**king nuts.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jspangler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    jspangler - thanks for the input. I'm okay with the head being confusing on mine because it does make it creepier not knowing, for me anyway. But the tail does look rather flaccid now that you mention it.

As for your prowler my thought would be first, maybe focus on one challenge a week and really try to make that one solid. I see a few artists here who do multiple challenges and it's impressive, but if you're working a 40 hour week like me, you're just torturing yourself. For a full time artist with time between projects, maybe, but us working stiffs need a little rest.

As for the piece itself, I love the horns, I get that they would be used to lure a satyr without any explanation, that's an awesome idea. He looks tough, aggressive, and mythical. But if you were to push any parts, I'd say bring some of the ground beneath him into focus. If you really want to get fancy, add background elements, maybe showing another of the beasts mangling a satyr so that no explanation is needed.

Updates and new work:
    www.stevesomersart.blogspot.com

CA Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=175919

Available for freelance

Thanks
    No matter what happens, people, just keep painting. This has been nothing but a civil discussion, and I don't think anyone has stepped on any toes. JakkaS, don't remove your entry, man -- no one here is upset that you set the bar high! Like I said, I want to see how I compare to the best of the best, and I'm sure others here feel the same way too. I'm just sorry that you had to be in the middle of it all.

dwinbotp: That's a real step up from your other final. Too human-like? Maybe, but I don't care. I think some of the foreground grass could be sharpened up a bit. And maybe the creature's hide could be a bit more "worn", with scars and dirt and protruding arrows and whatnot.

jspangler: As for your piece, I really couldn't think of a better crit for you before. But maybe you're right, and the lack of narrative is what's holding it back after all. The scenario you described could really enhance the image, if you put in the time to do it.
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it" -- Confucius

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -- Albert Einstein

Pixelestial's Gallery

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixelestial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    steve somers : the flacid tail was one of the parts i liked - it looks threatning on a sneaky - subtile way -it´s not like you would expect to see a scorpion tail makes it look suspicious. I would also focus more on the head (without loosing it´s "confusing" look) and work out the trees a bit .

i think i let my digging-piggy like it is and go for something darker - huge - badass -scary - hanging in the trees - thingy ....
    - try to send some wip later.
    Last edited by Vaghauk; November 10th, 2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: ...
    Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    whatever happens,i'm gonna leave my piece as it is (except maybe for some details).
    the whole point for me is to create something as good as you can, in one week. otherwise it'd be creature of two weeks,or something. ok,i'll stop now.
    steve somers - I'd say maybe more ambient lighting? really tie in the creature into the environment; there's not much reflect light on it. also,possibly define the lightsource overall better. looks alittle like the satyr is lit by a different lightsource than the creature.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    and i was so worried about the deadline TT_TT
    does anyone know if we can paint a second pic of the same creature and include it in the final as well as our original ones?
    also cow drama ftw

dwinbotp: technically i'd say the best piece here, though not hugely original its power and atmosphere make up for it.

steve somers: i dont see how you can jump this picture up to the next level very easily, i'd think trying to put the creature in a more dynamic pose might help perhaps, say, attacking the satyr? oh and maybe adding a strong red at some point, perhaps an eye?

jakkas: wow talk about dropping a drama bomb ^^, only thing i can think of to improve is adding more realism, but that's not really needed.

carnifex: a more dynamic pose maybe? better yet add a satyr in the background hornily stalking it

vaghauk: i think if you did another version, instead of going back over it you would learn a hell of a lot more. gl

duman: your excellent enviroment skills really shine through. simmple way to improve it: make the hair more realistic.

hmm on second thoughts i'll focus on the chow/idw contest, im having more fun with it.
    Attachment 825972
    Last edited by Etheral; November 11th, 2009 at 07:49 PM.
    cut me. i bleed paint.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Etheral For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Etheral - Oh, we can always kick it up to the next level, always.. I think I'm going to keep the passive pose but pump up the lighting overall and make it consistent as Carnifex suggests. If you think these entries couldn't all get better, look at some of Kekai Kotaki's work and imagine if that dude entered his Druid or his Tyrant for this... he'd be killin it... I think, on yours you have some rim lighting opportunities there.. maybe rim lighting is overused in Illustration, but hey, it works.

Vaghauk - Although I'm curious to see your take on a huge badass demonic beast, it just seems contrary to your nature. Your work has a warmth and friendliness that make it unique and that's a strength to develop, not to avoid.

Updates and new work:

CA Sketchbook:

Available for freelance

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I would love any crits on mine. This is what I produced within the original week-long time limit. I'll still be making adjustments just for my own purposes, though I don't think I'll be entering the edited version in the finals thread.

Pixelestial's Gallery

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixelestial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    soulweaver : where the boar joins the "satyr"-body you are missing some 3-dimensionality.Try to make the whole boar more "round" specially on that spot. You could try to give him the shape with the fur - letting the fur follow the volume of the body- err - if you know what i mean- my english-----

etheral : ya - your right ! moving on to a new idea seems to be the better choice.I really didn´t do much of an effort for the pig-man design - maybe i was tired from the curly-headed week before- but now i´m back in buisiness

steve somers : That is really very nice to hear,and helping me to see my own work better.Thanx ! But don´t worry - i´m actually unable to do something really mean-looking - i´m drawing now and it´s going to be a cuty-beauty again....
    -bit shy to send a wip - just some more scrrrribling.....
    Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Soulweaver - When I first saw yours I thought it was a Deerwoman with a boar for a pet, but now I see it's one creature, so maybe clarify that part of it, and maybe some of the areas where the marks aren't blending into each other..and where's your bunny ears dammit, that hanging creature was awesome!

Updates and new work:

CA Sketchbook:

Available for freelance

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Somers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    excellent discussion in here !!!! I like your comment, Steve Somers, where you say "look at some of Kekai Kotaki's work and imagine if that dude entered his Druid or his Tyrant for this"... his work IS mind-blowing... I feel that these weekly activities are all about pushing each of us to our personal best. The fact that an amazing piece is entered just makes me want to do that much better with my next piece. Also, I learn SO much from just seeing other artists entries. Not just the "professional" level pieces either...

Soulweaver: what resolution are you working in??
    Joshua A. Davis

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshDArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice round! Keep up the good work, guys. Here is another slayer for you.
    Last edited by Cloister; November 11th, 2009 at 01:35 PM.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cloister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wuuuhuu my pen is working again ( some battery stuff apperently ^(^ - ^)^ )

dwinbotp-
    thats a really cool head you got there i like it ^_^ but ive noticed (i think that way) that some things doesnt quite fit there :
    * theres something with the legs that the left leg should be behind the hill(according to the way it looks it should ) and yet its infront of the hill and the right leg should be infront of the hill but its behind it.
    *on the lower upper body part (the abs) if yull look at them yull see it seems like theyre starting from the leg that is close to the background and not like they should be,from the middle of the body.it look as if the pose /lightning isnt quite decided so some parts fit to others but the whole thing isnt combining properly. anyways thats only my opinion but other then that its a cool crit ^_^

Thanks
    Thanks Vaghauk and Steve Somers. I was afraid that area had some problems, and you've confirmed it. Back to work I go.

JoshDArtist: The original is about 2200 x 2000 @ 300dpi, why do you ask?

Cloister: There's a tiny spot where the bow string is visible through the satyr's wrist. It took me awhile to notice, but now that I have, it's driving me crazy.

and where's your bunny ears dammit, that hanging creature was awesome!
    That is a very good question. I was beginning to wonder if anyone else was missing theirs, or if it was just me.

Oh, and thank you, it's cool that you remembered that creature. ^_^ I'm much happier with that one in general than I am with this one.

Pixelestial's Gallery

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixelestial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Soulweaver: Thanks, man!
    (My screen is an old bulky one, and very good with contrasts. I would never have spotted that unless I had increased the image brightness a lot... which I sometimes do to check out what the shadows reveal on other people's screens.)

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast