Does size really matter?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Does size really matter?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Does size really matter?

I picked up a second job so I could save up for a tablet. I now have enough for an Intuos 4 Medium, but really had my heart set on a Large. I desperately want to quit the second job! Should I just settle for what I can afford now. Or hold out for something better?

Also, Cintiq users, the thought of owning one of those bad boys just sends shivers down my spine. But I'm not a professional artist, so would you encourage me to spend that kind of money on a tool? Or start with the regular tablet?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have enough for a Intuos 4 M, buy one. I guess it becomes interesting to have bigger en better tools when the need for it arrives. You say you're no professional artist. I'd say drop the thought of having a Cintiq, it might sound really great to have and work with but in my experience a tablet works better for me.

If you'll become a better artist, even professional it's a good time to think if you need to upgrade when you reach that level. But then again, think of the great stuff that is being made by professional artists using 'just' a medium intuos 3 or 4. It's more a tool then a gadget.

In short: Go with the medium, for now. And when you'll become a professional think about upgrading when that time arrives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LostFayth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually say wait and save for the L. I know you have the cash now for the M, and you really want to drop the second job. But, if you go ahead and get the M, you and I both know that you will always be thinking of that L you wanted when you first started to save.

So IMO, go with what you really want or other wise you won't be 100% satisfied...especially once the novelty wears off and the L comes back into your thinking.

I'm in the same boat as you. I want the L, and my wife knows I want the L. And I keep breaking down and thinking I should just buy an M or even an I3 or I2 to get rid of my Bamboo fun =( She knows me better than that and keeps reminding me that I really want the L, so buying anything else would not stop that thinking and in the long run I would still be desiring it. So why buy a replacement model now just to replace it as soon as I can save up for a L.

I used to be more interested in a Cintiq honestly. The thought of drawing and painting right on the screen looks so nice, but other than the ability to draw right on the screen an I4 has superior technology so I guess it's not as big of a thing to me anymore. Once you get used to a tablet, it's not that bad really.

Even so, I sure wouldn't say no to one. But for the dollar amount I just can't justify it yet. Since I would only want the 21, and that is obviously pretty costly =)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the 21 is crazy. The smaller one actually looks more appealing to me. It's a little more mobile and just seems versatile. Besides, I'm not making anything that could require the 21. What am I talking about anyway. I can't even come up with 400 bucks right now and I'm dreaming about a $2,000 toy I don't need.

I did find a "brand new" used Intuos 3 large for $125. Unfortunately it looks like that money I thought I had for the I4 M is going to rent. But next week I'll have extra money. I don't mind having an old model. But to be honest, I don't know what changes were made with the release of the I4.

Anybody got an opinion on Intuos4 vs. Intuos3?

I just want so badly to start creating digital art and PH-shop with a mouse kills me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i say get the I3 if it makes things easier, its a professional tablet dude, it has everything you need. Its what everyone was using a few months ago, i have a 6x8 size and it seems fine for me, because it fits on my desk. Having a larger tablet seems like it would be fun, but if you don't use your whole arm to draw, getting one would just make things harder imo.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to element1988 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LostFayth View Post

I'd say drop the thought of having a Cintiq, it might sound really great to have and work with but in my experience a tablet works better for me.
    I can attest to this, I just sold my 1 year old Cintiq 20 WSX not even 2 weeks ago and replaced it with an Intuos 4 large for exactly that reason.

I think the Cintiq is something that isn't for everybody. Seeing it in action is amazing an inspires, at least in me it did, this almost insatiable "I MUST HAVE THIS" gear lust. I drooled over the thing for a year until I finally convinced the wife and bought one using a low interest credit card. And I will tell you the truth - it was an amazing piece of equipment and it by far lived up to everything it is supposed to be, no doubt - but in the end I realized that it just wasn't the right tool for me - for what I do and they way I work I just found myself much more comfortable on a standard desk top tablet. I realized all of this about 3 months into owning the Cintiq, and it literally took me about 9 months to make up my mind and sell it. It was a strange feeling, having that beast sitting on my desktop, working on different freelance jobs, yet in many cases wishing I had an intuos tablet in its place... I could have saved up and added an intuos to my setup as well, but it just seemed way too decadent well to just have this $2,000 piece of equipment sitting on my desk for those certain jobs where I really felt I needed the Cintiq and was using it in the way it was meant to be used - so I made up my mind and sold the thing.

It was an expensive experiment just to find out it wasn't right for me, but in the end I was fortunate and ended up recouping about 80% of what I paid for it new. Now I'm set up with dual monitors and an intuos 4 large at home and I could not be happier.

Regarding I3 vs. I4 -

I agree with the post above - the Intuos 3 is still a killer tool that will last you many many years. Here at my day job I am using an intuos 3 6x8 that I bought probably about 5 years ago. When I started this job I told my boss I needed a tablet, he gave me the ok to buy one so I just sold him mine.

It was 2 years old and fairly well used when I sold it to him - add to that the fact that I now use it here every day, 40 hours a week, for the last 3 years I have been working here and it still works as well as it did the day I bought it.

As for size, I like the extra surface of my intuos 4 large at home but I do not feel constrained by the smaller surface of the 6 x 8. Personally I would not want to go any smaller than this, but the 6 x 8 does provide a workable surface without feeling cramped in my opinion.

When I sold my boss the intuos 3 I had I used to money to buy an intuos 3 6x11 for use at home. Then 2 years later I bought the cintiq so my wife, who is a photographer, started using the intuos 3 6x11 at home and still uses it today.

Point is, I've used and still use all 3, I3, I4, and the Cintiq, on a professional level, and I agree with the other posters - yes - go with an intuos 3, they are solid tools and are built to last.

The intuos 4 brings a lot of cool new stuff to the table but definitely not enough to make the intuos 3 irrelevant, not by any means. Considering the killer deals out there on intuos 3's right now there is absolutely no reason not to get one, especially if you are on a budget.

I had planned on getting another intuos 3 myself after selling the Cintiq, the only reason I ended up going for the I4 was because my cintiq sold for about $200 more than I expected it to so I figured what the hell.

But yeah, if you have a scoop on a well priced I3 you should definitely go grab one. It will not let you down.

Good luck on your decision!

Last edited by smutek; November 3rd, 2009 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK I found a "never used" intuos. (I don't know if it's a 3, she claims she got it 1 year ago) The model is GD-1212-U. It's white, not black and it doesn't look like it has ANY buttons on it. The lady wants $125 for it (plus s&h). It's 12x13. Is that a good deal? I'm looking for large and functional. But since I've never even seen a graphics tablet in real life I could really use some advice on this older model.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds to me like a intuos 1 or 2, and from what ive heard, there was a big improvement with the 3rd generation. but if your hard up for cash and you really want a bigger size, go for it. but keep in mind its an old version.

After looking up the intous 1 on ebay the a3 size was only at 46 and it looks really old fashioned. i would get a intous 3 6x8, but its your call.

i don't think intous 2 comes in white so its likely the first gen model. not too long ago somone on here gave one away for free.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks element. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'll hold out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I made a relatively lengthy post in this thread yesterday, I did a couple of edits to it and it disappeared. No idea why that was.

I just wanted to say that there is really no reason not to look at an intuos 3, especially if you are on a budget.

I use an intuos 3 6x8 at work and find it to be a very acceptable work space without being too cramped. Personally I don't think I would want to go any smaller then 6x8.

At my home workspace I just sold, literally less than 2 weeks ago, my 1 year old Cintiq 20WSX and replaced it with an intuos 4 large. In its place I had originally planned on getting an intuos 3 since there are such great deals out there on them now but I ended up going with the I4 because I re-couped a lot more on the sale of the Cintiq then I had expected to. I also own an intuos 3 6x11 which my wife, who is a photographer, now uses at her work station.

My point is this. I work in a professional capacity, which is a fancy way of saying that I have a full time paying day job as a designer and do a good bit of paying freelance from home. I own or have owned all three units, Cintiq 20WSX, Intuos 3, and Intuos 4 and use them regularly.

I think the I4 brings a lot of cool new stuff to the table for sure and I am very happy with my unit, don't get me wrong. However, while it does bring a lot to the table it does not bring nearly enough to render the Intuos 3 irrelevant, especially considering the killer deals that can be found on intuos 3's right now.

The intuos 3 here at my day job belonged to me. I bought it about 5 years ago and used it pretty heavily for 2 years. When I landed this day job 3 years ago I explained to my boss that I needed a tablet. He said sure, so I sold him my 6x8 and used the money to buy a new 6x11 to use at home.

So this 6x8 saw heavy use for 2 years, and for the last 3 years it's been used 40+ hours a week, 5 days a week for the last 3 years and still works just as well as it did the day I bought it 5 years ago.

The intuos 4's are killer, but the intuos 3 is still a solid, professional level, extremely capable piece of equipment and I think would make the perfect choice for anyone looking to begin using a tablet, or even upgrade their existing unit to a larger size or better model (ie. graphier-->intuos)

This is especially true for folks on a budget.

If you are ok with waiting more power to you, but if you are looking to get started there is no reason not to snap up on a good deal for an intuos 3 if you can find it. There are new I3 6x8's going for $199.00 new, $170.00 used on Amazon right now.

Considering how long these things last, there is really no reason to not get a used one, provided the seller has good feedback and is willing to answer any questions you might have.

Good luck.

Last edited by smutek; November 4th, 2009 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About 8 months ago I bought the I4 Medium, I really wanted a large but couldn't convince myself to spend that much money so I went for the medium. This was my first tablet and I'm very happy with it and its size. Its the same size as a laptop which is cool cus it fits in most laptop cases, it fits perfectly on my desk and I have never felt constrained by the size.

And from a woman's point of view...size is nice but its how you use it that matters!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.