A little help finding inspiration / motivation...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A little help finding inspiration / motivation...

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following

A little help finding inspiration / motivation...

Hi, before starting I know: I've seen these threads on here too and rolled my eyes at them (also searched through them before posting this)... But here goes.

I usually can't draw if I don't have some sort of personal project (ergo, a goal of a final outcome) to base my drawings / research on. I've had quite a few ideas in the past, and thought they were creative... and spent hours on end working on them. I loved drawing, this was a couple years ago... though I'd still been enjoying my own projects up until recently.

For some reason now, I just can't seem to think of anything creative or find anything inspiring... and when I feel like drawing, for some reason my drawings turn out crapper than usual and I just get frustrated and put off by it. It's really odd since I'm nowhere near a good enough artist to get this aggravated. It used to be a hobby I adored, now I have to struggle to even FEEL like drawing... and once I feel like doing something... when I start drawing my mind just roadblocks and I can't think of any neat ideas to put to paper: crap result -> frustration -> putting pencil down.

I'm mainly looking for things that you guys have found inspiring, or methods you've developed to help you overcome this when it happens. Any help would be incredibly appreciated, thanks for reading my rant. Looking forward to the boot-up-the-arse. Haha...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't imagine anything before drawing, But I have very powerful Pareidolic brain, So I use my brain power to inspired and generate ideas!

for example,
    I just open Corel Painter and make some mistakes with Artist's Oil, then I see illusion of peoples, cities, aliens, reptiles, pyramids and things like that .. So I catch them and just paint over them, finally join all this concepts together and you have nice idea!

I'm not good or talented artist, but checkout Prince of Persia concept in my sketchbook, I use this method.

Sorry about language!

Last edited by Cron; November 2nd, 2009 at 07:18 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, thanks for the input.

Cron: I can't seem to load any images in your sketchbook? not sure if it's something to do with my browser or what...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just like to think of scenes/characters/creatures from my favourite books and go from there.
    Browsing Flickr is also great.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have this freeware indie game to recommend. After playing it I had this sudden explosion of ideas... probably because I was so immersed/obsessed with the surrealistic feel of it all.

http://uboachan.net/media/src/Yume_Nikki.rar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Read a book, and then paint a picture. That's all you need to do to.

Members who have read this thread: 1