Sketchbook: Kitty's Drawings - Bout time 4 an update - lots of progress!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Kitty's Drawings - Bout time 4 an update - lots of progress!

Hiiiii!!

Well it only be fitting that I should call this thread the same as my blog. :-D

A little about me - I've been drawing pretty much all my life - since I could hold a pencil (and I'm 25 now). Was always drawing pretty much all the time until I got to about 19 and then I stopped for a few years.....Mostly to do with bad boyfriend (in the end) and illicit substances.

Picked it up again in the last few years and it's only been a few months since I *really* started to take it seriously again. Trying to be comfortable with my skills and not be continually frustrated that what I see in my head is so hard to transfer to paper. I don't really have toooo many issues with drawing from life but its a matter of getting off my butt and DOING it - Is it normal for a creative person to also be lazy? I know I'm not doing myself any favours by being slack and making excuses (which I am prone to do - what's that? "I dont have TIME??" BULLSHIT).
    So now I'm making an effort to sketch every day. Even if it's shit.

The things I need to work on most I think are general anatomy and posing - A face I can draw okay (not that that doesn't need work) but muscle and bone structure I really need to get down pat.
    Oh and FINISHING THINGS. I have issues with composition and details - particularly clothing etc.

Okay so I pretty much need to work on everything. Heh. That's okay.
    RAMBLES ASIDE - this forum is Fantastic and I'm so happy to trawl through the huge wealth of information and learning material here - and also to find much inspiration amongst the amazing artists here. I expect my post whoring here will overtake my obsession with the Aussie Vogue forum (!!!). Hehe.
    Anyways - here's some sketches and stuff from my Flickr account. All pretty recent. All pretty average. Crits welcome of course :-)

I kind of like this pose but I have NO idea which way to position the head.

Meeee --> Kitty's Drawings - Bout time 4 an update - lots of progress!

I like this - but the feet are a bit munted. Hmm
    Kitty's Drawings - Bout time 4 an update - lots of progress!Kitty's Drawings - Bout time 4 an update - lots of progress!
    Kitty's Drawings - Bout time 4 an update - lots of progress!Kitty's Drawings - Bout time 4 an update - lots of progress!

The bottom right one is dreadful :-(

And finally (sorry for the HUGE dump of stuff!).... a sketch and the finished piece :-D

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kittymeow84; December 1st, 2010 at 06:24 AM.
    Kitty's Drawings - My blog!

I have a Sketchbook now ---> SKETCHY!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a crack at drawing some poses from PoseSpace. About 10 minutes a piece. Crits please???

I know the front leg of the chick leaning back is way off. The knee isn't right I dont think and the calf too long.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a great sense of style and I really love how you digitally color. There's a lot of personality behind all of your artwork! Now, what I think would be a valuble study for you would be to take what you know with style and try and push it into a more realistic figure. You are currently drawing rather large headed women with thin bodies. Try out some more realistic anatomy (it can still be stylized), and proportions, and then give the gesture the push you're giving these drawings. Additionally, I think an important thing for you would be to keep a good reference out of skeletal anatomy even for these stylized pieces. In certain images some of the joints are getting very thin, or the bones look like they'd have a hard time bending that way. They're not big mistakes, but correcting them would make your art even that much better!

I am a big fan of crosshatching, but when you add it to your figures, be sure you're not just hatching away back and forth or in little X patterns. Cross hatch with the figure, or you start to flatten it a little. Think about how the form moves along the figure and imagine the cross hatch line as representational of that. A great example is, actually, a dollar bill! (if you're in America... I don't know other money systems x3). There is some beautiful cross hatching going on in those that really follow the flow of the figure. You don't have to go into that much detail, but it's still good to think about how you can best define the form.

Now, lastly, I like all these female figures, but make sure you do some good ol' male sketches as well ! It's great to see a lovely variety of figures!

My sketchbook! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=166709

If you want follow up critique/comments, feel free to send me a PM or post on a thread of mine! I might not realize you need it, otherwise.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Meralynn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eeee thank you SO much for the excellent critique :-D

I definitely need to get my hands on some good anatomy books. I've only got Dynamic Anatomy at the moment - though I shall purchase the Loomis and Bridgman books very soon (might get them now actually).
    You're right I dont know much about the skeletal structure - so seeing the photos I like to make stuff skinny where it probably shouldn't be before I know what REALLY lies beneath. Need to draw me some BONES.

Thanks for the tips about the crosshatching - I tend to just draw willy nilly with my pencil. I like mechanical pencils too so they can be a bit harsh. I'll focus on where I put those finer lines instead of hacking them in. Hehe.
    Oh and I'm Aussie so no dollar bills to look at - but the Aussie dollar also has the same thing. I guess you mean more contouring and getting the pencil to follow the line of the muscle.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply! Love these forums - so constructive and informative - and INSPIRING

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kittymeow84 View Post
    Eeee thank you SO much for the excellent critique :-D

I definitely need to get my hands on some good anatomy books. I've only got Dynamic Anatomy at the moment - though I shall purchase the Loomis and Bridgman books very soon (might get them now actually).
    You're right I dont know much about the skeletal structure - so seeing the photos I like to make stuff skinny where it probably shouldn't be before I know what REALLY lies beneath. Need to draw me some BONES.

Thanks for the tips about the crosshatching - I tend to just draw willy nilly with my pencil. I like mechanical pencils too so they can be a bit harsh. I'll focus on where I put those finer lines instead of hacking them in. Hehe.
    Oh and I'm Aussie so no dollar bills to look at - but the Aussie dollar also has the same thing. I guess you mean more contouring and getting the pencil to follow the line of the muscle.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply! Love these forums - so constructive and informative - and INSPIRING
    You are welcome!

Those are all great books for figures. I love me some Bridgeman. I always feel like I should suggest Drawing People by Barbara Bradley as it helps you progress to the clothed figure.

My sketchbook! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=166709

If you want follow up critique/comments, feel free to send me a PM or post on a thread of mine! I might not realize you need it, otherwise.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Meralynn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey kitty have to agree with Meralynn you have a wicked sense of style that i like a lot for the anatomy studies you can get all the loomis books from the internet and the Bridgeman's over here in the UK are really affordable. Keep posting

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to latigid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome Mera I will add that book to my purchase list. Ta!

Latigid - thanks for dropping by :-) And thanks for the compliments on my drawings! I know the books are way affordable in the UK! Hehe I get all mine from Book Depository - so much cheaper than buying them in Australia :-D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moar sketches!!

First of all - ideas for this weeks CHOW which I am pathetically late for and so I doubt I will ever get past the sketchy stage. We'll see what next weeks entry is and I might have a crack at it :-D
    So this is Frank's Bride - the first sketch I did the pose is pretty out there and shoulders are all wrong - but me likes the exaggerated lines. The face is the best bit which I haven't been able to redraw larger. Boo!
    The second is taken from a photo reference. Pose is a bit more natural (not so big a head this time!) but the hand is blah.
    In terms of character development, I thought it would be cool if she had a corset/bodice made of duct tape - all wound really tight....and maybe some flimsy cloth for her skirt - like doctors gauze. Would be a bitch for me to draw at my level but mebbe I'll see it through huh? Anyway, those details would give it a more modern feel and a sort of industrial/crazy doctor/slap-dash vibe.

And now completely unrelated....
    The most amazing suit I have seen in my LIFE! Vintage silk from the Forties. Shame its $325!!
    Soooo I was having a go at drawing fabric. And taking more care with my lines and contouring. This felt very different to draw than the figure. I didn't do barely any guide lines - only to set the shoulders and the shape of the bust...which is rare for me as you can probably tell! I'm rather surprised at myself for managing to draw it so neat.

Sorry if I'm too wordy for you all! Don't get too much of a chance to talk about arty stuff in a place where people might actually respond. Hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a very nice style!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

drawing style

Hi! I am really impresses with your work. I admire the way you draw and put color to your obra. What is your inspiration to do such beautiful pieces of art?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work here keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much everyone :-)

Rayalger - My inspiration is definitely beautiful girls! Though not always the 'standard' beautiful....I like a lot of pics with girls who have tatts and piercings or strangely coloured hair!
    Hmm and I like a nice line - like nice clean and flowing...though its not something I can do that well hehee.
    And peaceful and serene scenes or a picture that evokes that feeling.

Anyways - I think I might have a go at this weeks CHOW. I love the theme - Can really get into the family history with it....Get to use the family crest and all that.
    So today I sketched a few horses. The last one is the pic I might use. Now to figure out how to put a person on it and make it look like its set in 2706 AD!!
    References all taken from iStockPhoto.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For CHOW this week. I played around with the idea some more and came up with this rough sketch.
    First two are me trying to get position right and the last is the final composition.

Any glaring mistakes so far? I know my anatomy is a bit wack but I'm going to try and find a pic to reference today.

So does this look okay?

Thanks peeps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for your comments Yeah, I should really try that haha

You have some nice sketches in here, the digital stuff is quite impressive
    Mine isn't yet, I started using PS about a year ago so I still have to learn a lot
    : /

Keep it up (:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanjo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A WIP of one of the previous sketches. Playing around with painting in PS.

Feeling very frustrated with the whole process. I dont know if I'm not comfortable on my computer, its just too hot and I'm generally feeling BLAH about my skills.

Really itching for my Bridgman and Loomis books to arrive in the mail so I can start studying those.

Any tips on where I can move forward with this piece?

*sigh*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello kitten, don't be afraid to push the contrast in the skin tones a lot further with stronger shadows etc. They look a bit flat right now.

Also, try to stay away from working on top of a white background as a rule of thumb, pure white hardly ever occurs naturally unless you are staring right at a light source so save it for just that. Try starting with a gray about half way between black and white instead and see how that works.

Finally, my tip to you would be to do more value studies where you skip the color in all and just paint in gray scale, doing sketchy dirty images from high contrast reference to get a feel for light and shadows, better to do 5 of those faces then one polished colored smooth piece where you are afraid of messing something up, be wild, have fun, keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant thank you so much for giving me a great crit Jove.

You're absolutely right on everything. And i'm silly cos I KNOW white is a bad background colour choice and always choose a different colour when working in Painter and just completely neglected to do that for PS. Consistency!!

Tonight I shall play around with values and using B&W only. Shall post the studies in the morning if I get anywhere.

Thanks again Jove!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey kitty, good start. first thing that jumps out to me are your lines, they are a bit too hairy, it's a hard habit to break and i do it sometime, eek. i say, try taking a little more time and think about the lines you are putting down. then after a while your line work will start to get cleaner and more fluent. happy drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL very hairy! I see what you mean

Less 'hair' on the drawing of the suit - should think about the lines better definitely. Can be tricky to do long flowing lines in an A5 sketchbook but I will keep at it. The stuff in my A3 is much cleaner. Thanks so much for the crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha-YOOGE anatomy dump! Hehe. My Bridgman and Loomis books arrived today. So I spent a good hour and a bit doing some sketches. They're not fantastic by any means - just trying to loosen up a bit and become more comfortable with the figure.

Phew!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really liked that cucumber. You have a nice sense of color. Keep the anatomy going, and of course keep the colored digi paintings rolling. You have potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks danlucas!
    The cucumber was a lot of fun. I've got a million ideas and activities to do to get my skills up and its like there's not enough hours in the day for all the things I want to do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On Jove's fantastic advice, today I have been trying digi painting using black & white values only.
    I've found a great website with awesome high-res shots of vintage hollywood pinups. Really nice shots with great lighting and just perfect tone...The most fun to draw!

This is a WIP - about an hour work in Photoshop. Still getting most of the tones right and resisting all urges to hone in on the face and get crazy with detailing.

I think her body is maybe a fraction too short...I did transform it in PS to stretch it a bit. Her face is rounder than the photo I'm working from but I don't think that's such an issue right now.

I hope I'm showing some improvement! I've been drawing pretty much every day and the last few days its been more than an hour each day which is a lot considering there is work and dinner to be made every night.

Also - I mentioned on my blog...I think out of Loomis and Bridgman, so far I am preferring Loomis for the anatomy stuff. Only because it seems more structured right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some cool stuff in here, i really like your style.

If your still looking for the bridgemen books i think Google has the pdf up for download for free, that's where i got mine. Its probably worth having a look if you don't mind reading on the computer. They have a bunch of other books too, i would link you but i cant find it now XD sorry.

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Element - I got some of the Loomis books in PDF format. They are really great. Love them. But yes, sometimes a real book is better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope I'm showing some improvement!
    Yep. A great improvement indeed. One only has to see the first and the last work of yours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww thanks Creusa! I did a bit more on the latest one last night. Shall finish it off today I think!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more work on this one. Finding more problems with it as I go along. Her front leg is too long in comparison to the other. Hmm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've been making some good progress in the last few days. please share with us, what is this pinups website? :o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here be the website:
    http://www.classichollywooddivas.com/

Just click the photos and they download quite large. Also go through the archives cos there's TONS of stuff there!

And here is the finished piece. Could have polished it much more but sometimes enough is enough. Dont want to overwork it. I think I shall put it in the Finished section too. Yay!

Now, back to those anatomy studies!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.