Thanks

Would be sacrificing a lot but really want to attend TAD

Thought people here could give personal stories/ insight

So my mom won't pay for tuition if I attend TAD, because it's not a college. Okay, fine. She says I can live in the house if I pay her rent of $400 a month (not bad). I know she's trying to scare me away from attending TAD with a reality-check, but I don't care.

If I can get a minimum wage job, even a part-time one, I can get 7x20 hours/week, x4 weeks for a months, so $560 a month. Minus the $400 that's 160. I'm planning on working somewhere close so I can ride my bike (this has added benefit of no gas payment, no insurance and no more being fat). So no deduction of monthly total from gas or insurance.

She reminded me that if I attend TAD for a year and don't like it (I really doubt this will happen, it's a dream opportunity, she just doesn't understand that), I will try and go back to school and miss out on all the scholarships I've already gotten. I've been accepted to SCAD with 10k in scholarships for my academics and I haven't sent in my portfolio yet so I don't know that that will get me. Also I won't receive my Florida Bright Futures money, the full amount.

Then there's always the wonder if I can fit a work schedule around going away for 3 weeks 3 times a year as the program includes.

Personally I think it's possible, and despite how lazy I am, I think if I have this kind of pressure on my back (the pressure of failing in life) I can do it.
    Comparative costs, without scholarships, TAD is around 45,000 for the full program, which is super cheap compared to SCAD. Even with my possible other scholarships from SCAD, I doubt it'll be less than 10k a year. The only difference in cost, then, is my parents will pay 10k a year for a college, but not for TAD. Because it's not a college.

Just organizing my thoughts really. I guess this can be a general thread on financial problems of attending schools for everyone here (if they have such problems) and how they might cope with them.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    good luck man! you seem like you have the drive to do it

I dont like it when parents dont support kids dreams.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to archipelago For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    Willingness to sacrifice doesn't make one better at drawing.
    Drawing makes one better at drawing.
    Go to scad, and the money you save out from your main program, you input into TAD for courses after your main courses.
    That way, you can draw all day, and still get a degree after a few years, that way parents don't nag and stimulate, you get a decent education from tad and maybe some non-tad contacts from scad.

Everybody wins.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    If you really want to do it, go for it! But you do realise, (if I read your numbers right) that if you only safe 160 dollars a month it will take you around 23-24 years to be able to afford TAD.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to D.Labruyere For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    400 a month to live at home? You may as well move out with some artist friends or something.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If you have a scholarship and your parents are willing to pay for college tuition then GO TO COLLEGE!! That's a pretty privileged situation. Take some art classes while you're there and enjoy the ride. Practice and build up your portfolio in your free time. So many people spend decades paying off their education, but your parents are offering to pay for it?? And you want to turn this down? Are you crazy? Do it... Not to detract from TAD, but you'll regret it later if you don't. Then when you graduate and get a real job you'll be able to afford to go to whatever school or program you want because you won't have massive bills and debt holding you down for the next 20 years.
    Last edited by phoric; November 1st, 2009 at 07:15 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to phoric For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    The truth is that it really makes no difference where you go to school. If you work hard at what you want to do, and try to get as much from your classes as you can, you are going to turn out fine. Just take yourself seriously.

That being said, its going to be a lot easier for you to get scholarships for the subsequent semesters if you are a degree seeking student. If you are good student, getting them gets easier and easier as you get closer to graduating. I know of cases where people with good work and good grades get almost their entire senior year paid for.

IMO You don't even need school if you are capable enough at self-direction, and get yourself addicted to being productive. I've gotten better critiques from forums than I ever got at school (including from the professors). If you think you can teach yourself, save your money and just take figure drawing classes or whatever as you need them. But, you might want a degree.

I pretty much agree with phoric, in that if you can get a degree without having a mound of loans at the end, do it. There's really not much thats better than that situation, except maybe getting paid to go to school.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Spreggo For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    I've been accepted to SCAD with 10k in scholarships
    I've read up some on the TAD threads, though it seems that things are still being sorted out and, until the official details are released, some some aspects of the program are still foggy to me. so I don't know the ins and outs of the program. My response is based solely on the comparison of a virtual school experience compared to an actual live school experience. Acceptance to a school like SCAD with scholarship money isn't something to lightly dismiss. It's not about the degree at all. Leaving home and going to school, being immersed in that environment, connecting with other students and having real in person interaction with peers and faculty are all huge parts of an artist's development in my own opinion.

I've never visited SCAD, but I've known a number of people to either teach or graduate from there and it seems like a worthwhile option, especially if you're getting financial help from the school and your family. It seems a decent program they have there.

I know (last i read) details are forthcoming about the in-person training is going to be addressed for TAD, but I'd recommend you wait to find out more about that before committing to an online only program
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's another reality check:

You don't need to go to art college to work in the industry! In fact, you don't need industry contacts to get into the industry. Do what ever is most affordable and leaves you with as much free time as possible to work on your portfolio and art.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paberu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Yeah, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that SCAD opportunity, especially if your parents are willing to pay for it. TAD is a great opportunity, but shoot man... it's not like SCAD is any slouch, especially for free. Sure, a degree isn't absolutely necessary, but it's still faaaaar from worthless.

As for me, I'm thinking about going to TAD as well. I'm grateful to have parents who are supporting me in my pursuit of my dreams. Unfortunately they aren't able to offer any financial support, except for housing, which I am extremely grateful for. I've been going to a liberal arts school for 3 years, major in Illustration, but am very unsatisfied. I applied at SCAD as well and also received some major scholarships, but in the end I just couldn't afford it... I'm barely able to pay for liberal arts school. TAD is a very interesting option to me however, so I'm going to submit a portfolio and see what happens. I work around 60 hours a week over the summer, so if I get a scholarship from TAD and can manage to work that time schedule along with online classes, I may be able to manage. It might be a long shot, but i'm going to work super hard on my portfolio and see what happens.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    Thanks guys. I'm not throwing out any ideas of going to college, just trying to make sure that I can do whatever I need to take either path, college or non-college

It isn't looking feasible at the moment, to work to pay for the whole thing myself, now that I'm thinking it over more... I really really want to do TAD, but it doesn't look like I can if my parents aren't behind me on it...that's a little annoying, but that's just how it goes I guess

Hyskoa, thanks; that sounds like a better idea. If I do this then I can at least convince my parents to help me out, I can appease them with the degree, and I can do tad after college...I just wish I didn't have to wait. Oh well

Thanks
    Why wait, just explain to manley that you only have time after your classes and during the weekend.
    I'm sure there are a lot of people currently in the industry which only have time to learn during off hours as well, so that option is quite likely to happen.

I did 3 years worth of classes + nightclasses. Ofcourse I never actually went out with other people during those 3 years, but I could draw and paint.
    I'm assuming your scad classes will have 20-25 hours of non art theory like psychology/antropolgy or whatever it is, and 20-25 hours of atelier projects.
    That still leaves about 2-3 hours every evening that you can spend on assignments for tad.

You'll be able to get propper guidance during the evening from professionals, and during the day, you use that information to execute the class projects as quickly as possible.
    That way you're not wasting time and will end up with a degree that will enable you some meager teaching opportunities as a backup to keep learning your craft after you graduate, while earning some money in an art related field as a teacher.
    Unless you absolutely, positively need to go out with friends to a bar every few days to feel like a human being

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    Hyskoa, that sounds like an interesting proposition, but it seems to be demanding a lot of flexibility on Jason's part. I mean, I still don't know the full details of TAD yet, but it may or may not be that flexible. If it is designed to be extremely intensive, as Jason has confirmed, will 2-3 hours be enough? I don't know.

Certainly there seems to be more options than I have considered thus far. Thanks for your insight,

Thanks
    Considering TAD is open to students across the globe, I don't think classes will require live interaction, so I doubt day jobs will be a problem. At least I hope not, because my job has very unpredictable hours.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayk View Post
    Here's another reality check:

You don't need to go to art college to work in the industry! In fact, you don't need industry contacts to get into the industry. Do what ever is most affordable and leaves you with as much free time as possible to work on your portfolio and art.
    Here's a reality check for you, both school and industry contacts can help quite a bit. They may not be 100% necesarry, but can give people alot of guidance, and help with alot of self doubt. There's no reason to start telling everyone to start burning bridges and waving away an education scholarship to a well known school. Regardless of however things may or may have not worked out for you, the art biz is not typically an easy thing to get into and make a living off of. It can be harder with no formal education and no help.

So pat yourself on the back some more for being awesome and not needing anyone or anything to make it, if that's the case. But don't go around giving people poor advice like that.

TAD will be another place to learn. I hope it does well, and I'm sure it will. But it may not be exactly the right thing for you. You're being given a great opportunity from a good school, and financial support from them and family. Whatever you choose to pursue, think hard about it, and good luck to your career. If someone is offering you help, a school is offering help because they want you there, there is no shame in accepting that help. When you apply for jobs, they're not going to ask "did you get help from your family to pay for your education? Or did you decide you dont need anything, because that makes you so much cooler?".

again, goodluck.
    Last edited by Interceptor; November 2nd, 2009 at 01:05 AM.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    $400 a month?! That's crazy! She's your mother and shouldn't make you pay that much in rent, I have never heard anything like this. I'd go with Interceptors advice if I was in the same position.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    I say make the MOST out of your scholarship because you could always attend TAD later on.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Dizon For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    ...words...
    I'm sorry, please don't put words in my mouth, no where did I mention people should be "burning bridges".

Infact, I'd encourage most people to get a degree because having that piece of paper can really help when you'd want to move countries.

HOWEVER, it really annoys me when people place too much emphasis on needed to have contacts and going to the right school. Yeah, those things can help, BUT you don't absolutely need them.

My advice was simple, do whatever will give you the most time to study art and put a portfolio together - because at the end of the day that's what will land you a job.

Lastly, I don't know about you - but I have met quite a few self taught people in the industry who landed themselves a job with out any contacts, just with a solid portfolio. But whatever, I'm sharing my opinion and if it helps someone it's done it's job.

/end rant.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do drd
    Last edited by paberu; November 3rd, 2009 at 01:44 AM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to paberu For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    Yeah, to be honest, I'd go for the scholarship thingy (cause your mom is willing to pay for it). You can always supply your normal education with TAD (if they offer individual courses). Anyways good luck on the choice...

PS: Your mom is mean
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

35. The Following User Says Thank You to GriNGo For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    $400 a month?! That's crazy! She's your mother and shouldn't make you pay that much in rent, I have never heard anything like this. I'd go with Interceptors advice if I was in the same position.
    $400 is a great offer, considering he'll be living in a way nicer place than an apartment, will get utilities, and maybe even free food. Parents should be expected to just let their kids hang around for free forever.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    $400 is a great offer, considering he'll be living in a way nicer place than an apartment, will get utilities, and maybe even free food. Parents should be expected to just let their kids hang around for free forever.
    I don't think you meant to say that

Thanks
    Ultimately, your education is in your hands no matter what choice you make.

While TAD sounds like it has a LOT going for it, and while I think the state of many current brick and mortar art schools leave a lot to be desired, that doesn't mean that you can't make it by going to SCAD. Artists come from all sorts of educational backgrounds, including no school at all, because no matter where you go (or even IF you go) what really determines your success is YOU.

No matter what choice you make, your education is in your own hands. It will be up to you to do the work, and to push yourself. It will be up to you to ask the questions that will lead to your own betterment. In art school I would drag a teacher off to the side after class and get them to explain something I needed to know more about. You can't wait for the information to be offered up to you, you need to seek it. I wish I had done it more. If you do that enough, you can get a very strong education almost anywhere.

Also realize there aren't any real art secrets. Almost everything you could ever want to know, is already here on the internet. You've also got the kind of ability to talk to professional artists at your finger tips like no other point in history. You have a question, and within hours you could have a variety of answers, and probably links to even more information.

If you think you can do TAD with a little sacrifice, and it's really what you want, I say go for it. It sounds like it's going to be great. Going to art school also has some nice benefits, such as being surrounded by other artists striving to learn. Standing there and painting next to them day in and out. If that comes with lots of money you don't need to pay back, that's pretty damn good too. Either way you can make it, and either way the important part is you.

Edit: The above advice is geared towards general artistic advancement. I get the feeling that TAD will be very focused on results that will give you a career. In that way, yeah, I think it's a better option and likely well worth a sacrifice. This is the primary area that current art schools fail in my opinion. They fall somewhere between ok and great for general artistic development, but most do not prepare you well enough for getting jobs.