Sketchbook: From rookie to ...? - Dean Vaessen - Crits plx!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

From rookie to ...? - Dean Vaessen - Crits plx!

Hey everyone!

Ever since I was little, drawing and I have had a sort of love-hate relationship. On one hand, I really enjoy drawing loads but on the other, it's historically also been a source of frustration. Looking back, I should have just soldiered on and improved over the years but I instead somehow lost interest and subsequently have always stayed a novice, extremely limited in my skills. Well no more! I am making a comittment to start drawing more, and to improve my skills in multiple areas. If I can do this, it will not only (obviously) improve the quality of my 2D work but also the quality of my 3D work.

Thanks for listening, hoping to get some C&C to help me improve

Dean.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dean Vaessen; November 22nd, 2009 at 09:18 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quick female sketch, need to do more in order to get a sense of anatomy.

Thanks
    Not a lot today, did a ton of 30 second sketches but most sucked epicly. Was helpful though, got two of em in the pic. Also did a quick ref sketch.

Thanks
    Have to do a cover for a game concept (board game, school) and decided on using a different technique for drawing, rendering I believe it's called? Anyway, I sketched some rough outlines first and then tried to rough in colours and a bit of light. Using a photograph for reference and it's proving to be pretty fun!

Beside the obvious weakness of my skills, something seems wrong, could you guys help me out with this one?
    Still a WIP btw.

Thanks
    Your work is pretty good, so don't worry about that... the only help I can offer with the crab would be that because of the angle, it looks like he only has one leg on one side (our right).
    You might want to consider hinting at one of the other legs (below the extended claw and another a little behind the rear leg) to give that side depth...
    Something else that might help a little is a little blending of the shadows on the body, mandibles and the underside of the body, since they seem to stand out a little too much from the richer red of the body. Otherwise, your technique is really eye-catching.
    Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WryGrin View Post
    Your work is pretty good, so don't worry about that... the only help I can offer with the crab would be that because of the angle, it looks like he only has one leg on one side (our right).
    You might want to consider hinting at one of the other legs (below the extended claw and another a little behind the rear leg) to give that side depth...
    Something else that might help a little is a little blending of the shadows on the body, mandibles and the underside of the body, since they seem to stand out a little too much from the richer red of the body. Otherwise, your technique is really eye-catching.
    Keep up the good work!
    Thanks WryGrin! I TOTALLY forgot to add a few legs but you made me notice that hehe. Thanks for the crits

Right! Been quite for a while due to exams and stuff and most of the stuff I did during that period isn't really worth showing but here's the final of the crab I ended up using and a new speed painting I did today (organised on the forums of my school). Originally, I wanted sharks circling the penguin but I ran out of time. I really think I should do some studies on lighting and how to make images 'pop'.

Thanks
    Right, thought I'd have a shot at my first facial painting, I did shittons wrong on this and would LOVE to get crits and whatnot on how to fix them, I think the values are wrong for one?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.