how to make art addicting as video games..
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how to make art addicting as video games..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

how to make art addicting as video games..

I'm a gamer since a kid and often plays more than I focus on art. I wants to make art more addicting as video games so I can choose art over games. Also I want to know how to push myself to draw pieces in photoshop daily. I would just scribble a bit and move on. Also I don't have that creativity burst anymore. I only can easily do what other people ask me to do. I have few years of experience in photoshop and made logos, posters, and some large pieces. Currently I'm interested in doing flash games. Still working on my character concept and understanding AS3 better. I do want to become an sick illustrator because the vast details it take is amazing. I'm glad I found this place, it's huge with resources that will helps me a lot.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nonameowns For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Throw out the videogames. If you're addicted, that's what you do.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Force yourself to do a lot of it. Eventually you'll trick your brain into becoming addicted to it, and you'll do even more of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you've got to realize whats more important to you. You know what you want more than anyone else. Do you ever start feeling guilty after an hour of playing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try making game art.

Website Sketchbook

"If it looks wrong, it is wrong."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Video games give you some kind of reward, for some reason art doesn't or not as strong.
    So the question is: what reward do you get from the game and would something similar be achieveable through art or somewhere else in life?

I give an example of my own life. I play one of the more popular online games and I know my reward isn't so much in winning the game. People think I'm a good leader and a fair player, things that are more important for me than getting wins or loot or something like that.
    Nowadays I get those rewards more from real life so I don't play very often anymore. I just log in from time to time to say HI to people who live in different countries because it's not so easy to visit them. Sometimes I play and chat a little with good friends (RL, knew them before playing the game) because that's easier than visiting them because of our busy lifes.

The good thing about this is that I have plenty of time to do other stuff.
    I used to play about every evening and weekend, now I have those moments for myself. Sure I can play. But I can also do other stuff.

And about forcing yourself do draw every day? Example: you allow yourself to only play after you drew something. Or schedule this. I did this for a while and it works very well (till life decides to make a strange twist and pushes you out of this habit).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Video games give you some kind of reward, for some reason art doesn't or not as strong.
    Real life doesn't have any achievements that boost my gamerscore.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by the_jos View Post
    Video games give you some kind of reward
    Like bigger swords and moar golds amirite?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol.

throw your games away. I did mine a couple months ago. Never felt better.
    Games are what they should be. For fun. Anything more becomes a grind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I kinda have a gaming situation, and its not as easy as throw them out. I'm mainly a fighting game player. So the rewards are more real than with an MMO. And as soon as i see an opponent i just want to play instantly.

Having an intense match full of mind games, quick reaction, and the glory of winning, art hasn't provided this yet. Maybe i'm not at the level where i can challenge another artist (if this even happens) but there's something about it.
    I've been playing tekken kinda seriously for 5 years now, and drawing doesn't have that something. It has it's own something, but not THAT something.

And throwing the games away is out of the question, i needs my games.

Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally quit playing video games recently as they were eating up too much of my time.

You could try dedicating a certain amount of time to art. Then do art stuff before video games. That way you get to it and maybe even skip video games if you are in the zone.

I agree with Noah, make it a habit by doing it regularly and this will help instill the need to do it in your brain.

My Sketchbook

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucius

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I quit playing computer games 2 years ago, never felt better then now. But I do play a bit MGS4 and LittleBigPlanet on my ps3 from time to time though.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenzybaR View Post
    I kinda have a gaming situation. I'm mainly a fighting game player. So the rewards are more real than with an MMO. And as soon as i see an opponent i just want to play instantly.
    How are they 'more real', either way you won at a video game?

Having an intense match full of mind games, quick reaction, and the glory of winning, art hasn't provided this yet. Maybe i'm not at the level where i can challenge another artist (if this even happens) but there's something about it.
    I've been playing tekken kinda seriously for 5 years now, and drawing doesn't have that something. It has it's own something, but not THAT something.

And throwing the games away is out of the question, i needs my games.
    Apples and oranges.

In any case, if challenging YOURSELF to improve a composition, learning and pushing your skills and creating something doesn't have "that something" to you, then it's clear where interests lie. Those serious about and interested in art will make the time for it. There's no magic trick.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsChoco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't touched a controller for two months now. For the entire year it's been dwindling so much that by now I just feel like pulling the plug on the 360. I mean I love playing games, but there's no time for that now that I attend school and am focused on art basically 24/7.I have a strong will so I have been able to easily disconnect from games. If you feel it's really hard, just unplug the system, give everything to a friend to hold onto, or sell all your games.

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    touch a breast

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChoco View Post
    How are they 'more real', either way you won at a video game?
    Well with mmo what you win stays in game, with tournaments, you win real stuff.

Apples and oranges.

In any case, if challenging YOURSELF to improve a composition, learning and pushing your skills and creating something doesn't have "that something" to you, then it's clear where interests lie. Those serious about and interested in art will make the time for it. There's no magic trick.
    Why is it that every time someone says, "I am feeling something other than absolute dedication for art", someone has to raise the 'you're not very serious' flag.

I do want and need to improve, and i could practice waaaay more.
    But it would be nice if there was a way to make drawing as addictive as gaming, rather than feeling like i'm forcing myself. And i'm not saying i dislike drawing at all, just that sometimes it feels like grinding. (Which i hate, and is the reason i don't play mmorpgs.)

And after reading the jos's post on the subject, my post seems redundant since they've answered my queston.

Current Projects:

I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't touched a controller for two months now. For the entire year it's been dwindling so much that by now I just feel like pulling the plug on the 360. I mean I love playing games, but there's no time for that now that I attend school and am focused on art basically 24/7.I have a strong will so I have been able to easily disconnect from games. If you feel it's really hard, just unplug the system, give everything to a friend to hold onto, or sell all your games.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Nowak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well with mmo what you win stays in game, with tournaments, you win real stuff.

Why is it that every time someone says, "I am feeling something other than absolute dedication for art", someone has to raise the 'you're not very serious' flag.

I do want and need to improve, and i could practice waaaay more.
    But it would be nice if there was a way to make drawing as addictive as gaming, rather than feeling like i'm forcing myself. And i'm not saying i dislike drawing at all, just that sometimes it feels like grinding. (Which i hate, and is the reason i don't play mmorpgs.)

And after reading the jos's post on the subject, my post seems redundant since they've answered my queston.
    Seriously? I seem to recall something (and just looked up to confirm) about a World of Warcraft PVP tournament with a grand prize of $75,000. Both cases: It's a game, you win at it. If you do this in a tournament setting you can win money.

If you're having to 'grind' at art (which you explicitly dislike about something else), how can you say you like it enough to set aside even more time for it? Games are addicting for a lot of people because they are enjoyable. The "not serious" flag gets raised because it is completely true for a lot of people. If you are serious about something, you will put effort towards it, if you aren't, you won't; there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't like doing art, or don't want to make a career out of it, that's normal, not everyone has to. But the level of seriousness is inherently tied to that. If art is a hobby, that is completely fine, but even among hobbies, people will make the time for the ones they are serious about and actually enjoy.

There are a limited number of possibilities for anyone who "can't make time for art over [recreational activity of choice]." Either one likes art, and will make the time for it, which we can't help with. Or one does not really like art enough to do it, which we can't help with. Or there is a serious, honest-to-God addiction issue, which we can't help with (and one should see a doctor about.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any discipline worth taking on requires hard work.

Art is as much a grind as studying any other subjects. You have to STUDY.

It's like wanting sex but not willing to invest time into a relationship. A meaningless one night stand that leaves you feeling empty after, or a real intense intimate moment with someone you love. Choose one.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Yang87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChoco View Post
    Seriously? I seem to recall something (and just looked up to confirm) about a World of Warcraft PVP tournament with a grand prize of $75,000. Both cases: It's a game, you win at it. If you do this in a tournament setting you can win money.

If you're having to 'grind' at art (which you explicitly dislike about something else), how can you say you like it enough to set aside even more time for it? Games are addicting for a lot of people because they are enjoyable. The "not serious" flag gets raised because it is completely true for a lot of people. If you are serious about something, you will put effort towards it, if you aren't, you won't; there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't like doing art, or don't want to make a career out of it, that's normal, not everyone has to. But the level of seriousness is inherently tied to that. If art is a hobby, that is completely fine, but even among hobbies, people will make the time for the ones they are serious about and actually enjoy.

There are a limited number of possibilities for anyone who "can't make time for art over [recreational activity of choice]." Either one likes art, and will make the time for it, which we can't help with. Or one does not really like art enough to do it, which we can't help with. Or there is a serious, honest-to-God addiction issue, which we can't help with (and one should see a doctor about.)
    Well with WoW, its not about who is better, but about who has better stuff. Fighting games operate different.
    And I'll admit it, i LOVE GAMES and i usually put it over art, even though i want to go into it as a career.
    I'll figure out a way to make drawing more exciting while i practice my wavedash with kazuya. EWGF and Madaxes FTW.

lol, i just realised why i like fighting games now, there's someone to beat. Practicing SHFFL'in with Marth was a bitch but i stuck to it cause i always lost to my friend. . . Anyone know where i can find an art rival lol.

Current Projects:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why should you ask us? If you're gonna play games, then play them. We can't change anything if you're not the one with the willpower.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Why should you ask us? If you're gonna play games, then play them. We can't change anything if you're not the one with the willpower.
    i never asked permission to play games, I asked about an art rival, but i guess i just need to go and look for one.

And just cause you guys are awesome at art, doesn't mean you can't be awesome at something else

Current Projects:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

And just cause you guys are awesome at art, doesn't mean you can't be awesome at something else
    Arshes Nei is your big sistah and you listen to her!

Seriously, though, the only way to make art as addicting as video games is to drastically cut down on the numbers of hrs you spend on games, and direct those hrs to drawing.

I had the same problem with video games 3 months ago, where I would be playing games for the ENTIRE weekend (morning - evening).

Then I picked up art, and the more I did, the more I wanna do.
    Of course, I didn't cut down all my games in one shot. It's more like over a period of weeks - months, you limit yourself to less and less.

Uninstall your WoW / whatever and all games from your PC and sell them on eBay. Quit those gaming forums and un-subscribe from game magazines. Make CA your home page. Subscribe to art e-newsletters and sign up for online art memberships. Go youtube to watch art vids. Read art books. Draw. All this will steer you from games and keep your Art Spirit strong.

Nowadays, I don't even feel like playing video games anymore, and would gladly trade my xBox 360 console + games for 20 art instruction books from Amazon.com. Anyone?

The more you draw, the more you feel like drawing. For me, if I don't draw for more than 2 days, my Art Spirit starts to fade away and I start to laze around, so I always make it a point to draw every day, even if I'm busy at work.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well with WoW, its not about who is better, but about who has better stuff. Fighting games operate different.
    And I'll admit it, i LOVE GAMES and i usually put it over art, even though i want to go into it as a career.
    I'll figure out a way to make drawing more exciting while i practice my wavedash with kazuya. EWGF and Madaxes FTW.

lol, i just realised why i like fighting games now, there's someone to beat. Practicing SHFFL'in with Marth was a bitch but i stuck to it cause i always lost to my friend. . . Anyone know where i can find an art rival lol.
    Having played some WoW, it really isn't. Everyone has the same damn shit because it isn't hard at all to get good stuff, not to mention in a tournament setting everyone gets to handpick their equipment.

But that's really aside the point. That you want to make it a career brings it right back to 'serious'. It's true in all of life (and especially if you want to make it a career,) that effort is king. I'm not trying to pick on you or anyone, but anything in life you are serious about: set aside the time for it and put your best foot forward into it. School, work, art, relationships, name it. If you enjoy competition and rivalry, I might recommend joining (or starting!) a Sketchbook Support Group, join in the weekly activities and strive to be on top, there's various Thunderdomes of varying skill levels, go nuts. There's no shortage of ways to 'compete' with other artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work smart.

There's no need to drop video games or any other hobby for that matter. Just make sure to do your drawing before engaging in recreational activities. I have very strict drawing routines and that is the reason I get to do something else too. It is not a good idea to draw a bit, get distracted, then draw a bit and get distracted again. Maybe you'll get done enough, but it eats up the whole day.

Edit: Oh, recently I created a table where I put down my drawing hours. It's actually pretty fun to sum up the hours and see how much I did in a week. It's no heroine, but it's something and it makes me push for more.

Last edited by Taneli; November 1st, 2009 at 02:30 AM.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taneli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    Video games give you some kind of reward
    Like bigger swords and moar golds amirite?
    Depends.

For people who play online games I think there is one underlying reward that results in the craving for more gold and bigger swords.
    It creates some kind of status and a feeling of achievement that can be shared with others.

But this is just part of the game reward. For many gamers playing the story and to overcome the difficulties encountered creates a sence of achievement.

Many people will get those feelings of achievement in 'real life'. But some don't or don't get enough for various reasons. For them the achievement in the game gives them what they need.

To compare, let's say we take a kid who makes a nice drawing every week. And his parents told him they were proud of him and encouraged him to continue and keep doing well.
    Now we have the same kid who draws every week but his parents don't pay much attention to it. They don't encourage him. Same for others who influence him. Or they even say the drawings are bad. You know what will happen to such a kid....

Now we have video games. Those will never tell you that you are bad. You can try over and over again and at some point you will get the reward of going to the next level or getting something special. Or you can cheat but this takes away a lot of the achievement reward and kills the game.
    The same goes for drinking or doing drugs. You get reward. Gambling? You get small reward once in a while, you lose money on the long run.

But in life this also works. When I was young (let's say 6-10) the teacher would put a small picture on my work whenever I had no errors.
    When growing up this reward changes slowly. When you do well you are accepted by the group/boy/girl you like to be with. When you don't you are out. And at some point you have to find your own internal encouragement, the push to yourself that you are good enough and can do well. Without or with only little external encouragement. It's part of learning life, some do this fast and some do this slow.

Saying that videogames give gold and bigger swords is short sighted.
    When you are not addicted or otherwise depending on those rewards it seems silly for sure. It's only pixels on the screen. But for people who have a problem with this it's not about those pixels. It's someone/something telling them they did well.
    And just like the slot machine you get reward once in a while telling you you are doing right. You only see that you get $5 out but forget you invested $10.

About two years ago I talked with a kid about his game addiction (in game, he lives several thousand km away).
    The kind of addiction that keeps you locked in your room.
    We have talked for many hours. About what was going on in his life. Why he was hiding away from others. What he got back from the game. Why he was competing so hard to beat others, be the best in this virtual world. It's only pixels.
    And then I asked him if he could think of something else that he could be good at. Not look at what you cannot do, look at what you can do.
    And he decided to spend more time on his schoolwork. Nowadays he's at the top of his class and other people in his life see his achievements. They are proud of him and he is proud of himself. He made friends, hangs around with them often and I think he's doing great. It's just that people have to realise that it's just a game and the real achievements in life cannot be found in a game.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_jos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Properly shaded geometrical shape = 5g
    30g = New weapon

1 anatomical study = Armor material

(1 Mat = New helmet
    2 Mat = New shoulder pads or boots
    3 Mat = Chest or Leg armor)

Perfecting human anatomy = Lvl. 1 Human Class armor
    Perfecting X animal anatomy = Lvl. 1 X Animal Class armor

Interesting gestures/illustration = Armor piece upgrade
    Fully rendered gesture/illustration = Weapon Upgrade

Interesting Designs/Concepts = 150g
    1,000,000,000g = A job

*Add improvements as you see fit*

SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Irishdrunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try hypnosis. I'm serious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You gain one talent point!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Yang87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have this vague memory of feeling one day like I could work towards goals in the real world or I could achieve things in a fantasy world. Kind of lost all interest in video games after that. It wasn't like I sat down and thought hard about it, but more like I started wondering "what did I do with my day today?" and not having a decent answer. Playing with a group of friends is still fun on the very rare occasion it happens, but playing solo just feels like I'm stuffing my time into the garbage when there are so many other things I'd rather be doing or need to be getting done.

I know other artists who looooooove their games but have managed to balance it so as to not get in the way of their work. I'm sure it's just a personal preference for everyone and it comes down to self discipline and drive if you feel it's taking away from other aspects of your life.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

43. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3